Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Feeling sad/homesick after 11 years

Feeling sad/homesick after 11 years

Old Aug 18th 2017, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feeling sad/homesick after 11 years

Originally Posted by dbd33
Gentrifiers!

Hamilton seems like Pittsburgh to me. Industrial heritage resulting in some lovely buildings but, also, industry with all its related smells and dirt, some nice parks (we used to go to a waterfall there from time to time) and lots of very nice horsey properties technically within the city limits. Rough bits because industry comes and goes and the people don't disappear when it's hard times for the plant. Street of pubs, that's more Cleveland than Pittsburgh, but still definitively rust belt. I would move there more readily than in a dormitory town such as Oakville or Burlington.

Someone in this room bought on Beach Blvd early this year, nothing south of the backyard. He's not happy about the non-summer.
What's his issue with the "non-summer"? We're actually just off Beach Blvd. We're going to be buying next year and we're contemplating buying along this strip as its friendly and the beach is so close.
We've made friends with a British couple who moved here 6 years ago and they seem happy.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 2:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
What's his issue with the "non-summer"?
Typically, southern Ontario has warm, fairly dry, summers. I suppose you haven't noticed but this year it has been cool and pissing down. Someone who has just plonked down well over a million bucks to live on a beach, albeit a beach to a smelly, heavily polluted, lake, would prefer a standard summer.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Typically, southern Ontario has warm, fairly dry, summers. I suppose you haven't noticed but this year it has been cool and pissing down. Someone who has just plonked down well over a million bucks to live on a beach, albeit a beach to a smelly, heavily polluted, lake, would prefer a standard summer.
Ah. I see. Yes there has been an obvious lack of summer this year.
I wonder where your friend lives. If he's on the beach side then we have no doubt walked/cycled past his house at some stage. Tell him to put up a Union Jack next time and we'll wave and invite ourselves in for a cup of tea! 😎
Old Aug 18th 2017, 4:32 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder where your friend lives. If he's on the beach side then we have no doubt walked/cycled past his house at some stage. Tell him to put up a Union Jack next time and we'll wave and invite ourselves in for a cup of tea! 😎
I think the room that dbd33 works in is unlikely to contain another English person.

But I've always liked Hamilton too. As I did Pittsburgh before the meltdown.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I think the room that dbd33 works in is unlikely to contain another English person.

But I've always liked Hamilton too. As I did Pittsburgh before the meltdown.
Ok. We'll have them fly a flag stating they know dbd. Then we'll invite ourselves for a glass of wine!!

There's a rough element to Hamilton. I kind of like the contrasts!
Not sure I'm sold on buying a house on the beach though. I'm a little worried that having flooded basements might become a regular thing or worse...
Old Aug 18th 2017, 5:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Colleague. Co-worker. Man-across-the-room. Not that we're at war but "friend" is a bit strong. I've forgotten the house number but it's an in-fill McMansion with red and gold wheelie bins. The flag of the Raj is unlikely to be flapping.

Oh, and there is another English person here, he's even another yid. From Dartford. Dartford and the Punjab. He's one of the first people I met in Canada.

Last edited by dbd33; Aug 18th 2017 at 5:57 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

I have the same issue. Ive been here almost 5 years a PR. I get my citizenship in September.

I thought about going back. Ive been really sick and the healthcare I have received here has been 1st class. Waaay better than the NHS. I miss my parents, both are very sick. Its been hard having not many friends and family not come visit.

I do miss the banter, the gardening (i love gardening!), walks, football, food (oh god the cheese) and its ease proximity to the rest of the world. The variety of people and the depth and stories they have.

But here is the thing. I went back at Christmas in 2015. All the pubs had closed. There was only one left in my neighbourhood. Most of my friends were out of work or really shitty paid jobs. A lot of mainstreet stores on the high street had closed and turned into 1.99 chicken shops.
It got me thinking, I left with nothing five years ago. Now i have my own place and a high standard of living and health care. Ok my job is not great, but Im reminded why I left.

I don't know. Im in the same boat. Maybe I need to go back there on holiday to remind myself why I left.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 6:22 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Colleague. Co-worker. Man-across-the-room. Not that we're at war but "friend" is a bit strong. I've forgotten the house number but it's an in-fill McMansion with red and gold wheelie bins. The flag of the Raj is unlikely to be flapping.

Oh, and there is another English person here, he's even another yid. From Dartford. Dartford and the Punjab. He's one of the first people I met in Canada.
We don't know any Brits as friends, not really bothered to be honest our Canadian, Trinidad and Jamaican pals are just as much fun

Has the OP booked a flight yet, Feb cheapest time, just DO IT !!