Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Feeling homesick - 6 months in Calgary

Feeling homesick - 6 months in Calgary

Old Nov 26th 2015, 3:55 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feeling homesick - 6 months in Calgary

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
I agree Vancouver is very strange for breaking into social circles. A few British friends have said the same thing as well as Canadian friends from other provinces. It has been difficult to make male friends though as most are either married, uninterested in friendship or want something else

I also sometimes think that because I'm not a size 0, petite, yoga obsessed, frenchbull dog owner living in a condo that goes against me lol - who could say.
Just sniff out the out-of-towners and hang with them. I find true Vancouverites very smug, I think they are told so many times from a young age that they live "in the best place on earth" that they truly believe it. Torontonians tend to think they live in the best city in Canada, but they know full well it's not New York, it's not even Chicago. Rest of Canada is a bit more down to earth.

Last edited by Shard; Nov 26th 2015 at 3:57 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2015, 4:02 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Just sniff out the out-of-towners and hang with them. I find true Vancouverites very smug, I think they are told so many times from a young age that they live "in the best place on earth" that they truly believe it. Torontonians tend to think they live in the best city in Canada, but they know full well it's not New York, it's not even Chicago. Rest of Canada is a bit more down to earth.
You're pretty bang on here but rather than smugness, I think its a more insecurity and narcissism. It is this mix that makes them rather unpleasant people.
Old Nov 26th 2015, 4:04 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
You're pretty bang on here but rather than smugness, I think its a more insecurity and narcissism. It is this mix that makes them rather unpleasant people.
Narcissism, yes. But insecurity?
Old Nov 26th 2015, 4:17 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Narcissism, yes. But insecurity?
I believe so. While it may not be a very large sample the ones I've interacted with seem to have a deep vein of insecurity. Culturally speaking, being Canadian must be a very hollow and impotent experience. I think its why it manifests itself as jealously and passive-aggressive vengefulness.

Of course my analysis may be somewhat influenced by the awful fact that we've just run out of chocolate biscuits.

Last edited by Oink; Nov 26th 2015 at 4:19 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2015, 4:32 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I'm the other way, it is male friends I miss. I have loads in the UK and very few here. I also don't have a partner (even after a year of being here but that is probably because I am in Vancouver - a dater's nightmare). I'm sure Calgary is easier for that sort of thing.

Yoga is great but like the gym, it probably won't get you meeting people. I used to do dancing in the UK and met loads of girl friends through that but when I tried it here it was very clicky and again didn't meet anyone.

My work colleagues are the people I am closest to.
1) Go to local dive bar.

2) Pull up stool and order alcohol.

3) Life improves in Canada.

I can't make life any simpler for you folks. All I can do is repeat the recipe.
Old Nov 26th 2015, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

Scottishgirl89 is an unknown quantity at this point

How about joiñing the Scottish society and taking up the bagpipes or something?
Now there is an idea! We can eat haggis and wear kilts right?

Thanks everyone for your advice - I'll stick at it and keep my chin up. Looking forward to seeing the family at Christmas!
Old Nov 26th 2015, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

If you find decent haggis in Calgary, let me know...the stuff from the so called "best place" in Calgary is pretty horrible, even the stuff out of the tin is better!
Old Nov 26th 2015, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scottishgirl89
Why do you say especially in Canada?
I've found (as have many others on here going by posts) that cradles are very insular people (especially Albertans) and don't seem to move too far outside of a certain social group, usually highschool/college friends...most of the people i "hang out" with are expats, because they actually want to go out and do stuff...even if it is just going downtown for a pissup

Originally Posted by Scottishgirl89
I moved over by myself - it was a good work opportunity. It's a secondment for 3 years, if I like it I can stay and if I don't I can move back to London.
I did the same, 3 years ago it wasn't a secondment though...and then I got 'laid off' a year and a half ago...almost went home at that point!
Old Nov 26th 2015, 5:59 pm

I agree Vancouver is very strange for breaking into social circles. A few British friends have said the same thing as well as Canadian friends from other provinces. It has been difficult to make male friends though as most are either married, uninterested in friendship or want something else

I also sometimes think that because I'm not a size 0, petite, yoga obsessed, frenchbull dog owner living in a condo that goes against me lol - who could say.

Whistker is not my idea of fun. Great for snowboarding and looking round the village but it is all a very young crowd up there who want to party and pass out the next morning - those days are over for me.

I have already thought about moving away from Vancouver but I love my job and the people and it is difficult, especially to up sticks and start all over again somewhere else.

Then again, I am not getting any younger
You want to put yourself out there, try dress a provocatively. Canadians don't like to work too hard so if it looks like a sure thing, you should be in business.
Old Nov 26th 2015, 6:12 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Canada's like hemorrhoids. You get used to it if you have to put up with it long enough.

Anyway, who needs close friends and family close by when you can show them what a great life and decision you made via facebook.

On the downside, if you still don't like it after a year or two, your friends will have moved on when you move back home so you'll have to piss around making new ones anyway
Old Nov 26th 2015, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by el_richo
On the downside, if you still don't like it after a year or two, your friends will have moved on when you move back home so you'll have to piss around making new ones anyway
I dunno about that

I popped over to Scotland last month after finishing a job in Portugal, and the only thing that's changed is people have gotten older...everything else is still the same, no-one has even moved house in the 3 and a half years since i left
Old Nov 26th 2015, 8:10 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
1) Go to local dive bar. 2) Pull up stool and order alcohol. 3) Life improves in Canada. I can't make life any simpler for you folks. All I can do is repeat the recipe.
Yes you have suggested this before and I may do this if this meet up goes t*ts up.
Originally Posted by Oink
You want to put yourself out there, try dress a provocatively. Canadians don't like to work too hard so if it looks like a sure thing, you should be in business.
yes I have noticed this among the male population of Vancouver. One of the worst 'dates' I ever went on was a guy originally from Winnipeg. He turned up late in a location in Kits, in a white stained sweater (maybe from coffee), we went to a coffee shop, I had my gym stuff with me (as I had been that morning) he grabbed his food and cutlery/condiments but did not offer to get any of that stuff for me for me and just sat down- where as I struggled with my back and just expected him to offer to grab the cutlery and stuff. We then sat there for nearly an hour with nothing to say. He then made an a excuse to leave saying his female friend (girlfriend maybe?) was waiting for him and he had to go. Never heard from him again. Was it because I wasn't a supermodel or because I wouldnt sleep with him - who knows? The guy was an accountant who lived in Burnaby - pretty messed up I have so many of these stories that I should just write a book
Old Nov 27th 2015, 3:28 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
I dunno about that

I popped over to Scotland last month after finishing a job in Portugal, and the only thing that's changed is people have gotten older...everything else is still the same, no-one has even moved house in the 3 and a half years since i left
I don't mean they actually move or change as such. More that they go on without you until they're not really bothered where you're home or not
Old Nov 27th 2015, 7:44 am
Yo

had to go. Never heard from him again. Was it because I wasn't a supermodel or because I wouldnt sleep with him - who knows? The guy was an accountant who lived in Burnaby - pretty messed up I have so many of these stories that I should just write a book
Becky Jones Diary ?
Old Nov 27th 2015, 2:05 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Becky Jones Diary ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.