Fears

Old Nov 26th 2012, 4:33 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fears

Originally Posted by iaink
Electric windows will work underwater, and you wont be able to open the door against the waterpressure until the cabin is full and the pressure equalised anyway, so you are freezing your nads for no good reason
I can climb out the open window is the point
Old Nov 26th 2012, 4:54 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
I can climb out the open window is the point
You should also undo your seltbelt
Old Nov 26th 2012, 6:11 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawk13
You should also undo your seltbelt
Good point I may get stuck
Old Nov 26th 2012, 6:24 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

My oldest kid has a fear of getting on a ferry (we use to live on Van Island). It wasn't actually getting on the ferry, it was getting stopped on the ramp while loading and the ferry pulling away.

We always rolled down the windows and undid our seltbelts
Old Nov 26th 2012, 6:58 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Really...have you seen 'snakes on a plane with Samuel L Jackson?

Electric windows will work underwater, and you wont be able to open the door against the waterpressure until the cabin is full and the pressure equalised anyway, so you are freezing your nads for no good reason
Old Nov 27th 2012, 4:18 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joolschweetie
Really stupidly, im terrified of driving (yeh great idea to move to Canada, huh?!) At the moment I find it hard to even get behind the wheel at all, although I do keep trying.

I used to drive (allbeit nervously) but then one day, I just stopped being able to get behind a wheel without freezing up, shaking and sweating. Husband is trying to 'fix' me by randomly pulling the car over and refusing to drive the rest of the way. Not entirely sure this is working for me though...I now live in fear when we go anywhere
You are not alone in that. I learned to drive in about 1980. I drove a few times after passing my test but never liked it. I stopped. When I moved to Canada in 2000, I was pressured to start again. I had one refresher lesson. That was it. I was so tense I wrecked my neck and ended up on meds. I am not getting behind the wheel again, ever. I don't like even being in cars.

Also, heights and crowded spaces freak me out. I find that odd because I have no problem with planes.

I'm probably a psychologist's dream.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 4:20 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I don't drive either. somehow managed to pass my test at the age of 18 and then never really set foot in a car as a driver ever again. I don't ride a bike either.
Bizarrely enough the only vehicle I've ever been in on my own (and been in sole charge of ) was a C172 !
Old Nov 27th 2012, 4:35 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Really...have you seen 'snakes on a plane with Samuel L Jackson?
You do know thats fiction, right

Actually, having googled it a bit (mythbusters anyway) the window motors will work, but the pressure on a submerged window will be too much for them to overcome, so your best bet if the bridge did collapse it to get the door open as soon as possible and get out, before the pressure on the outside is too great.

FWIW there are a couple of homes up by the Stirling "airport" that have their own planes parked on the drive. I guess its one way to blow the leaves off the property this time of year. I doubt you need a travolta like income to live there. I will concede that you would have a hard time landing a 707 on 500ft of tarmac though.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 4:42 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Is this your way of saying....you don't get out much then?

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
I don't drive either. somehow managed to pass my test at the age of 18 and then never really set foot in a car as a driver ever again. I don't ride a bike either.
Bizarrely enough the only vehicle I've ever been in on my own (and been in sole charge of ) was a C172 !
Old Nov 27th 2012, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

You do know thats fiction, right
Actually, I've seen a number of news articles about passengers and flight crew finding snakes on planes. It doesn't seem particularly uncommon when flying from tropical airports (for obvious reasons).
Old Nov 28th 2012, 8:44 am
BEd Enthusiast

cjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joolschweetie
Millie F & Zoe - thanks for the advice, I just keep putting it off but I know I need to deal with it. It's something I've wanted to be able to do for a long time, it's weird that I just overthink it to the point of being utterly terrified.

Maybe hypnotherapy is worth a go
Have you tried a few drinks beforehand? It's got to be worth a go.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lorry1
When driving accross a bridge I have to have my windows wound down, no matter how cold it is. If that bridge collapses and I fall into water I want to be able to get out of the car.
mine is busses, coming towards me when I'm driving - oooh its hard to stear with your eyes closed