British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Fears (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/fears-764342/)

mandymoochops Jul 9th 2012 12:47 am

Fears

Watching "Extreme animal phobia" and wondering if anyone of you has a phobia that really is what would be classed as extreme - and not a mere dislike.

Mine would be heights, I can go up a scaffold or a ladder or whatever but when it comes to super high things like bridges - it's the whole hyperventilating thing.

Thats about the only thing for me.

Aviator Jul 9th 2012 12:50 am

Re: Fears

Originally Posted by mandymoochops (Post 10161655)
Watching "Extreme animal phobia" and wondering if anyone of you has a phobia that really is what would be classed as extreme - and not a mere dislike.

Mine would be heights, I can go up a scaffold or a ladder or whatever but when it comes to super high thngs like bridges - it's the whole hyperventilating thing.

Thats about the only thing for me.

Heights - hate going up ladders. It is not the height I dislike, its the falling.

mandymoochops Jul 9th 2012 12:57 am

Ya it was really brought home to me ladt year in Mexico when hubby and I went on an 'adventure' day trip thing. We did zip lining and I thought before we got there "well how bad can it be?" the first few were a breeze but the last one I totally froze at the top, nearly threw up, held the line up for about 15 mins because I froze and wouldn't move. I finally managed to go down but only because there was no other way down, but no way on this planet would I EVER do that again. EVER.

I remember the guy who attached the harness saying to me "do you want me to just push you off, it might be easier" I said to him "Do you want me to smack you in the face? that would be easier for me?"

Aviator Jul 9th 2012 1:08 am

Originally Posted by mandymoochops (Post 10161674)
I remember the guy who attached the harness saying to me "do you want me to just push you off, it might be easier" I said to him "Do you want me to smack you in the face? that would be easier for me?"

I'll remember not to cross you!

scrubbedexpat133 Jul 9th 2012 1:28 am

Syringes :eek:

Im a 6'4 18 stone trucker but if I need a Jab I turn to Jelly

lf1 Jul 9th 2012 1:30 am

Certain heights combined with windy conditions. I can go up on a ski lift, parasail, but can't be close to the edge of a significant drop. If it is really windy then I will just freeze and may have to hit the deck.

Greenhill Jul 9th 2012 1:49 am

Stop signs.

Irrational, but true.

Beaverstate Jul 9th 2012 1:51 am

Inhaling small flying insects. Actually not to keen on crawling one either.:eek:

kimilseung Jul 9th 2012 2:36 am

Originally Posted by Beaverstate (Post 10161727)
Inhaling small flying insects. Actually not to keen on crawling one either.:eek:

Turn it in to a positive, become a Jain

Beaverstate Jul 9th 2012 2:54 am

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 10161754)
Turn it in to a positive, become a Jain

The only violence I would have towards the inhaled insect would be to cough it out. Can't promise I wouldn't step on it afterward. Guess i'm a bad candidate.

gryphea Jul 9th 2012 4:10 am

I have a mild phobia of certain types of bridges and also roads very close to sheer mountain drops.

The bridges one is a bit odd as its very bridge dependant.

ann m Jul 9th 2012 4:40 am

I am a wuss - but don't see it coming?!

I have hyperventilated (and fainted once) - once at the dentist, once when getting contact lenses for the first time, and once when getting a spinal block for a C-section. Pathetic, embarassing. And yet, I'm quite OK with other medical stuff - so it's hard to predict. :D

Oh, and snakes creep me out like nothing else. My back shivers and goes to water just envisioning one to write this. There is something wholely disgusting and unnatural about a creature that can dislocate its jaw to eat. Brrrrrrrrrrr.

mandymoochops Jul 9th 2012 4:48 am

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 10161844)
I am a wuss - but don't see it coming?!

I have hyperventilated (and fainted once) - once at the dentist, once when getting contact lenses for the first time, and once when getting a spinal block for a C-section. Pathetic, embarassing. And yet, I'm quite OK with other medical stuff - so it's hard to predict. :D

Oh, and snakes creep me out like nothing else. My back shivers and goes to water just envisioning one to write this. There is something wholely disgusting and unnatural about a creature that can dislocate its jaw to eat. Brrrrrrrrrrr.

Every mans dream ;)

The4BellsLondon Jul 9th 2012 5:01 am

Fish!

mandymoochops Jul 9th 2012 5:11 am

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon (Post 10161861)
Fish!

really???? :blink: