Fear of flying

Old Feb 24th 2010, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

LaurenandLuke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fear of flying

Ironic, considering we hope to move to Canada but I have a terrible fear of flying. I fly a few times a year, sometimes long haul and I take diazapam for the fear at the moment but I really want to get over this before we move. Im not claustraphobic, its just the fear that something will happen, crash, explosion, hi jack, emergency landing etc that gets me every time.

So my question is, has anyone conquered a fear of flying? If so, how did you do it?

Im sick of relying on medication to help with this
Old Feb 24th 2010, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fear of flying

Originally Posted by LaurenandLuke
Ironic, considering we hope to move to Canada but I have a terrible fear of flying. I fly a few times a year, sometimes long haul and I take diazapam for the fear at the moment but I really want to get over this before we move. Im not claustraphobic, its just the fear that something will happen, crash, explosion, hi jack, emergency landing etc that gets me every time.

So my question is, has anyone conquered a fear of flying? If so, how did you do it?

Short and sweet, "they grew a pair"
Old Feb 24th 2010, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Short and sweet, "they grew a pair"

I have enough of 'get a grip' and 'stop being so silly' from my husband and family thankyou very much! It was a serious question!

Old Feb 24th 2010, 6:06 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Just remember, people rarely get hurt in aircraft. Die yes, hurt no.

Seriously though, flying really is the safest mode of transport. You're more likely to get killed crossing the road, crash and burn while driving on the motorway etc. Do you worry about that each time you do one of those activities? Of course not, so no reason to do so with flying. That being said, it is an irrational fear, so this rational thinking may not help.

However if turbulence etc bother you, try reading on what actually happens. Try finding a book on what actually goes on on aircraft, as sometimes knowledge can help. You could try "From the Flight Deck" by Doug Morris.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks.

Its everything that bothers me, I know its ridiculous. I know there is more chance of death in a car. I know it but I still panic. Stupid or what!

Its definately an irrational fear and something I do not want to pass onto my children (hence finally wanting to sort it rather than numb it with diazapam!).

I think I need to read up on the facts and figure. I 'know' a plane can run on just one engine but I need to 'believe' it IYSWIM. I know Western aircraft have higher safety reg's than other aircraft/airlines in the world etc.

Anyway, Im going to stop watching aircraft crash investigation on discovery!
Old Feb 24th 2010, 7:15 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Try going business or 1st class, it's a wonder of what the sense of privilege will overcome.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 7:30 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

My sister in law was like you, taking medication (not sure which) to help but flying rarely - so not so like you on that front.
Once a family member moved to Canada (not me, I'm still in UK), she had the incentive to over come this.

We wondered about the Virgin course, but given the price, she got their book (well I think it was their book) & some other books. I think the principle is very much about demystifying it to help.

Anyway, she got up enough courage to try short haul & coped (she also for the first time was flying with a child), so they are now planning their first trip to BC for this summer.

She is still nervous, but her approach seems to have helped her so far.

Good luck

Bali

EDIT - LINKS:

http://flyingwithoutfear.co.uk/?gcli...FZJr4wodHWCbeQ
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...rgin&x=24&y=22

Last edited by Bali2010; Feb 24th 2010 at 7:35 pm. Reason: links added
Old Feb 24th 2010, 7:39 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I'd strongly recommend Xanax, lots of it. After that you won't care if the Third World War breaks out.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oink
I'd strongly recommend Xanax, lots of it. After that you won't care if the Third World War breaks out.
My gp is wonderful and has prescribed all manner of wonderous drugs Diazapam works best for me though, I got valium off a friend a few years ago which worked quite well...desperate measures!! Havent asked for Xanax though....am going for our recce to Alberta soon so will ask him

Ive tried the 'few pints before take off' approach and alas, it brought out the worse in me
Old Feb 24th 2010, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

What about hypnotherapy? If your fear is irrational you might have trouble overcoming it by tring to understand how a plane works etc...
But with hypnotherapy you will be exploring the irrational side and why you got into this state in the first place so that hopefully it will then all make sense and therefore not bother you anymore...
Old Feb 24th 2010, 11:31 pm
Jedi Master

Devil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really nice

I also have a fear of flying (for pretty much the same reasons as you do)

I have not flown since July 2003.

I think if I get a chance to move to Canada then I will look into getting a cruise across or something like that and depending on where we move to a train for the rest of the journey. Hehe the journey could then become an adventure.

Good luck for getting something sorted for you flight
Old Feb 25th 2010, 12:27 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone of those things can happen, you could also get run over crossing the street. A friend fell 4 feet off a ladder at Christmas, he nearly died at least a year in rehab ahead of him. Only the individual can overcome their fears. If you have flown a few times, how many times have you been involved in a hijack, crash, forced landing, explosion? I hate going up ladders.

Air is a fluid, like the ocean, an aircraft like a boat, but a tad faster. If the engine quits, it can still glide - a long way, just ask Air Transat, they have the record.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 12:37 am

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Air is a fluid, like the ocean, an aircraft like a boat, but a tad faster. If the engine quits, it can still glide - a long way, just ask Air Transat, they have the record.
like the description, but then Air Transat - thanks , I might be flying with them next.

though, I have to admit, I can be asleep before take off - woke up in Amsterdam once, when the schedule was manchester to Vancouver direct - man next to me found it very funny that I had missed the announcement they gave within minutes of boarding & my rather startled look on landing.

Its the lack of 'fresh air' that gets me - from about 6+ hrs in.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 3:00 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bali2010
like the description, but then Air Transat - thanks , I might be flying with them next.

though, I have to admit, I can be asleep before take off - woke up in Amsterdam once, when the schedule was manchester to Vancouver direct - man next to me found it very funny that I had missed the announcement they gave within minutes of boarding & my rather startled look on landing.

Its the lack of 'fresh air' that gets me - from about 6+ hrs in.
It was the lack of gas for AT, they ran out -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Transat_Flight_236

Some light reading for you.

Whatever the cause of the incident, it was an outstanding example of airmanship getting that bird back on the ground.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 5:45 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
It was the lack of gas for AT, they ran out -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Transat_Flight_236

Some light reading for you.

Whatever the cause of the incident, it was an outstanding example of airmanship getting that bird back on the ground.
As was Air Canada's famous "Gimli Glider"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.