British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   fear! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/fear-382418/)

hot wasabi peas Jun 30th 2006 10:08 pm

fear!

In Calgary, I am staying in an older apartment buillding that's been turned into an extended stay hotel - so it's like living in a furnished apartment. (Pretending I live here for three weeks to see if I want to move here.)

My apartment is on the ground floor and yesterday I had the window in the bedroom open while I was in the living room doing stuff. I went into the bedroom and saw that the window screen was off the window and leaning up against the wall beside the window. Piecing it together, I froze.

My life flashed before my eyes along with countless 'psycho hiding in the closet' scenes from films. Suddenly I felt entirely unsafe and too afraid to even breathe.

Then the biggest wave of adrenalin welled up (ps?) in me, I distinctly remember the heat feeling like someone had opened an oven beneath me. Talking to myself, 'Ro, you've taken self-defense, you're strong (I lift weights) and you have a lot of pent-up anger to release, some mu*therph*cker just picked the wrong window to climb through.' And with that I searched my closet, under the bed, behind doors, behind curtains (found my watch!), in the bathtub and then I started getting weird and started searching in the kitchen cabinets, fridge and cultery drawer (what if he was really small? :rolleyes: :D)

Turns out it, so said the housekeeping woman I later spoke with 'oh yeah the screens always fall out when there's a breeze.' Big, huge relief... but still completely unnerving.

It took a while to calm down. And I've not looked under my bed since. I have never been so "OMG, I'm going to die" afraid in my life... even when scurried up a tree by a grizzly.

I'm glad it happened though as it has made me get clear about a lot of stuff that's been wafting around my brain.

Get yourself scared senseless! It gives you clarity! :scared: :D

Anyone else had the crap scared out of them and found it helped?

poolking Jun 30th 2006 10:10 pm

Re: fear!

Thought for a moment, Butch was hiding under your bed :D

Steve_P Jun 30th 2006 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by poolking
Thought for a moment, Butch was hiding under your bed :D

No, it was me.:D:D

Butch Cassidy Jun 30th 2006 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Hangman
No, it was me.:D:D

Get in the queue. :rolleyes:

Steve_P Jun 30th 2006 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Get in the queue. :rolleyes:

Get behind me junior.

Read post number 31 in this thread and post number 55 in this one besides she told me she likes older men. :p:p:p

You don't stand a chance mate. :D

Butch Cassidy Jun 30th 2006 10:31 pm

Get behind me junior.

Read post number 31 in this thread and post number 55 in this one besides she told me she likes older men. :p:p:p

You don't stand a chance mate. :D

I may not be as owd as thee but I'm still owder than Ro, ;)

Steve_P Jun 30th 2006 10:36 pm

Not exactly fear well maybe some fear but I've been on quite the roller coaster in the last two days.

Yesterday I had this really hot date with this really neat person I met on the internet. It was one of the neatest experiences of my life. :)

Then I went out to Stage West with my lovely wife for dinner and a play. Doesn't get much better than this does it? Hot date in the afternoon wife in the evening. :D:D

Then I woke up at 4:00 this morning with a ph*king pain in my chest. :eek::eek:

Its settled down somewhat through the day so I'm not overly concerned, now.

So as I said a bit of a roller coaster.

Cheers
Steve

Butch Cassidy Jun 30th 2006 10:45 pm

Not exactly fear well maybe some fear but I've been on quite the roller coaster in the last two days.

Yesterday I had this really hot date with this really neat person I met on the internet. It was one of the neatest experiences of my life. :)

Then I went out to Stage West with my lovely wife for dinner and a play. Doesn't get much better than this does it? Hot date in the afternoon wife in the evening. :D

AHHHHHHHHHHHH you old romantic you :D

Then I woke up at 4:00 this morning with a ph*king pain in my chest. :eek:

Its settled down somewhat through the day so I'm not overly concerned, now.

So as I said a bit of a roller coaster.

Cheers
Steve

You rung the Dr!!!!!!
I bloody hope so OR THERE WILL BE TROUBLE. :mad:

Steve_P Jun 30th 2006 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
You rung the Dr!!!!!!
I bloody hope so OR THERE WILL BE TROUBLE. :mad:

No didn't ring the Dr.

I've been dealing with this type of thing off and on for ten years now and I know when I need to get to emerg or dial 911.

It's scary at first then it's almost like an old friend come to visit again. Not necessarilly a good old friend but an old friend none the less. ;)

But thanks you for caring. :)

You're a good man Butch Cassidy no matter what others might say about you. ;);)

Cheers
Steve

hot wasabi peas Jun 30th 2006 10:55 pm

Awe... :)

Then I woke up at 4:00 this morning with a ph*king pain in my chest. :eek::eek:

Yeah, well, what do you expect? There isn't a hell of a lot of space under my bed. It was probably Butch's elbow!

Seriously, sorry to hear that Steve but glad that you're feeling better.

willmore Jun 30th 2006 10:58 pm

No didn't ring the Dr.

I've been dealing with this type of thing off and on for ten years now and I know when I need to get to emerg or dial 911.

It's scary at first then it's almost like an old friend come to visit again. Not necessarilly a good old friend but an old friend none the less. ;)

But thanks you for caring. :)

You're a good man Butch Cassidy no matter what others might say about you. ;);)

Cheers
Steve

Take care of yourself steve - have to pace yourself an old goat like you! ;)

Seriously steve - take care sweetie - we want you around for a very long time (or at least till the oilers make the next stanley cup)!

yonk Jun 30th 2006 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Awe... :)

Yeah, well, what do you expect? There isn't a hell of a lot of space under my bed. It was probably Butch's elbow!

Seriously, sorry to hear that Steve but glad that you're feeling better.

Ro, see you did get him all excitable! Sounds like he had a good time, though. (Do take care - we wouldn't want anything bad to happen to you....actually, either of you)

I suppose fear would concentrate the mind as the adrenaline would focus down to the quickest, safest options in order to preserve itself?

Bit like when you have really serious problems, the normal minor irritations that drive you mad get put in perspective and disappear for a while.

hot wasabi peas Jun 30th 2006 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by yonk
I suppose fear would concentrate the mind as the adrenaline would focus down to the quickest, safest options in order to preserve itself?

Yup, exactly! It's gotten rid of some of the fluff in my head.

So far, I've made one major life decision - I cheated on my hairdressor and got my hair cut here in Calgary. I think that's a big sign! :D

yonk Jun 30th 2006 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Yup, exactly! It's gotten rid of some of the fluff in my head.

So far, I've made one major life decision - I cheated on my hairdressor and got my hair cut here in Calgary. I think that's a big sign! :D

People keep their hairdressers longer than their partners, tis a sign.

poolking Jun 30th 2006 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by yonk
People keep their hairdressers longer than their partners, tis a sign.

Nah I'm never loyal to one hairdresser, who ever is the cheapest gets my vote :D