Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Failure of UK Education or Common Sense?

Failure of UK Education or Common Sense?

Old Oct 6th 2017, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Failure of UK Education or Common Sense?

There are days when you read a news story and wonder is it fake news or filling space or highlighting a problem with the world today.
Im sure this happens in other countries as well but this is the UK a once proud nation of inventors and leading the world in civilization and a place to excel at whatever you do. Then this happens

A DAD-of-two is being dragged to court after accidentally pressing zero rather than the letter O as he entered his registration number to park for FREE.
But because I typed zero rather than the letter O into the machine there, the parking firm came back and said it was my fault.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/462456...bexley-london/

Should we be blaming the Education system that obviously failed to teach the difference between a O and a 0. BTW the first is the letter O capitalized.

Common Sense on behalf of the company employee and the employer themselves who issued the ticket. Is it an oxymoron that the company is called
Smart Parking Limited, the firm which manages the car park, refused to back down over the error - and later upped the fine to £160.

Would you trust the driver who entered the wrong plate number with the Nuclear Code Launch password?

What else is there to say?
Old Oct 6th 2017, 1:27 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Failure of UK Education or Common Sense?

Haven't heard that story, but often wondered what would happen if I had made the same error. Now I know!

Not sure if it's a common sense issue or not, the BBC today reported of a guy who is suing an IVF clinic because it allowed his ex-wife to bring about the birth of another child, without his permission. The ex-wife forged his signature and the IVF procedure went ahead. I can understand him wanting some redress from the clinic, but he's on interview saying he 'loves his new daughter' but 'doesn't want to touch or see her because he's so conflicted'. IMV what an absolute plonker. No sense at all.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 4:53 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

The parking company are pedantic inflexible twats
Old Oct 6th 2017, 5:04 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
The parking company are pedantic inflexible twats
Of course they are, in their world Inflexibility = Opportunity = Money.

I might not like it but it makes perfect sense to me.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 5:41 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j

Yep, I'd have grumbled and moaned about the unfairness of it, kicked myself for a stupid mistake, and then paid the £60.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmmm do you have that same outlook on CBSA collecting duties and taxes from travellers after all they are collecting it on behalf of the Govt to provide services for its citizens
Old Oct 6th 2017, 7:36 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Mmmmm do you have that same outlook on CBSA collecting duties and taxes from travellers after all they are collecting it on behalf of the Govt to provide services for its citizens
An interesting question.

In the one instance, if I make a mistake while parking then I would expect to be taken to the cleaners because I expect them to interpret their rules in black and white.

However, experience has taught me that CBSA officers view their tax collecting less rigidly. So... I expect them to waive more minor infringements whilst collecting where larger sums are involved.

So in answer to your question, I do view the two differently.. but where rules say 'you need to pay' then I pay up, to do otherwise creates more trouble that it's worth.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 7:45 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't make sense to me. The parking company obviously intended to allow free parking to drivers provided they entered their registration number. The man did so but made a perfectly understandable mistake, entering a 0 instead of a O.

So why is the company suing? My guess would be that the man took more than the permitted free parking time (perhaps thinking that the 0 for O would be a technicality that got him off) or the parking company are being utter swines for saying that anyone can park for free unless you don't give us your exact registration.

Either way, a colossal waste of taxpayer's money in the judicial system. The judge should have the power to fine them both for vexatious behaviour.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 7:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

An interesting question.

In the one instance, if I make a mistake while parking then I would expect to be taken to the cleaners because I expect them to interpret their rules in black and white.

However, experience has taught me that CBSA officers view their tax collecting less rigidly. So... I expect them to waive more minor infringements whilst collecting where larger sums are involved.

So in answer to your question, I do view the two differently.. but where rules say 'you need to pay' then I pay up, to do otherwise creates more trouble that it's worth.
Its a fair answer but most can use discretion when allowed. CBSA have a policy on using discretion even though they could legally collect so why not the Parking company. Its not like the person put a totally false licence plate number in as he got 6 out of 7 correct
Old Oct 6th 2017, 8:09 pm
Listen to the Music

Its a fair answer but most can use discretion when allowed. CBSA have a policy on using discretion even though they could legally collect so why not the Parking company. Its not like the person put a totally false licence plate number in as he got 6 out of 7 correct
OK, so let's pose another question and one for which I have no experience.

A new immigrant wishes to present a COPR at the border. The officer examines the documents and discovers a minor error. A date has been entered as 1989/01/09 instead of 1989/09/01.. and honest mistake, not wrong but not as required, is the PR refused outright or is it allowed but details corrected on the spot or is it referred to an appeals procedure? Any discretion allowed here?
Old Oct 6th 2017, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OK, so let's pose another question and one for which I have no experience.

A new immigrant wishes to present a COPR at the border. The officer examines the documents and discovers a minor error. A date has been entered as 1989/01/09 instead of 1989/09/01.. and honest mistake, not wrong but not as required, is the PR refused outright or is it allowed but details corrected on the spot or is it referred to an appeals procedure? Any discretion allowed here?
The details entered on the COPR have been entered by IRCC officers and then printed off and sent to the person concerned. On receipt of the COPR the person should be checking all details are correct and if incorrect contacting IRCC or in this case its a minor mistake at the moment as the official Canadian Govt way of entering a DOB is Year Month Day it should be brought to the attention of CBSA on landing. I would then be verifying the COPR and using other documentation the person has with them i.e. Passport, or anything else they have on them. If its an obvious keying error then I can make changes. If it looks like an obvious misrepresentation I would be deferring the examination and conducting a review.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 10:03 pm
Listen to the Music

The details entered on the COPR have been entered by IRCC officers and then printed off and sent to the person concerned. On receipt of the COPR the person should be checking all details are correct and if incorrect contacting IRCC or in this case its a minor mistake at the moment as the official Canadian Govt way of entering a DOB is Year Month Day it should be brought to the attention of CBSA on landing. I would then be verifying the COPR and using other documentation the person has with them i.e. Passport, or anything else they have on them. If its an obvious keying error then I can make changes. If it looks like an obvious misrepresentation I would be deferring the examination and conducting a review.
Excellent. I've always found CBSA officers helpful and by and large friendly although you do meet some that have had a bad day and it's nice to know that they have the flexibility to make my day a good day.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Excellent. I've always found CBSA officers helpful and by and large friendly although you do meet some that have had a bad day and it's nice to know that they have the flexibility to make my day a good day.
You do realize that land border CBSA officers carry firearms but Ive yet to hear one say Go Ahead Make My Day. Even I have off days.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Would you trust the driver who entered the wrong plate number with the Nuclear Code Launch password?
No. According to a news article a few years ago, until the mid-70s the code was 00000000, so this guy would have spent hours trying to enter it correctly. Not really what you want when Soviet missiles are flying your way.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 9:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

For 45 years I thought that 2 digits in my NI number were oo, only 18 months ago, getting repeated rejections on line, I realised they must be 00. Guess that rules me out for pushing the big button!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.