Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Expats - How do you find Trudeau and heavy left wing laws?

Expats - How do you find Trudeau and heavy left wing laws?

Old Jan 7th 2019, 1:20 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expats - How do you find Trudeau and heavy left wing laws?

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Definitely I love her moves and her attitude
But wait, she's a dangerous pinko. She wants universal healthcare tp apply to everyone. She wants to pay her staff! She thinks that people who shut down the government shouldn't be paid while the government's shut down. She calls a racist a racist. She's so far left she'd barely fit into Mulroney's Progressive Conservative party.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 1:34 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
But wait, she's a dangerous pinko. She wants universal healthcare tp apply to everyone. She wants to pay her staff! She thinks that people who shut down the government shouldn't be paid while the government's shut down. She calls a racist a racist. She's so far left she'd barely fit into Mulroney's Progressive Conservative party.
I know, shocking isn't it. Just as well she can dance, otherwise she wouldn't have a thing going for her. A politician for the people? Who ever heard of such a thing.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Trudeau is your typical modern, low quality politician for whom presentation is key and policy is a side issue at best, and an inconvenience in truth. If politicians of all stripes put half the effort into governing as they do to spin then their countries would be better places.

The one thing that has worked for Trudeau is Trump and this is the reason he will get re-elected. The Canadians I have observed, or had to listen to, are sanctimoniously up themselves about Trump. I would wager that had Obama been in power Trudeau would have been the usual Canadian footnote. Instead, he has the ground perfectly laid out to signal his virtue, and the world's press are so desperate for this sort of character, that is why you are hearing about him.

Does he impose extreme lefty laws? I am not sure: it seems Canadians are desperate to be seen as progressive and accepting, indeed this is how they define their national character and identity. Scratch the surface, and they are potentially as good or nasty as any other human. I think Trudeau is following the national mood to be seen, again, as super progressive (whatever that means) compared to the US.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 2:13 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice

Does he impose extreme lefty laws? I am not sure:.
If you can't think of one then surely the answer is "no". I suggest that nationalising things, like pipes, might be considered a leftist position though it's not an extreme one.

When Mr. Trudeau came around and realigned my gender he said it wasn't due to a law but was part of an executive order during a state of emergency and so didn't count. It was a bother though, I was up half the night moving shirt buttons and button holes.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea what the OP is going on about - I do not spare a moment fretting about PC laws that may or may not be real and are passed by provinces in a federal system. I do not worry about 'pinko / commie / fags' in the Liberals or NDP - politics does not define my life any more than BREXIT should define the life of a UK citizen (although if the papers are to be believed it does!).

What I love about Canada (as someone who has returned after a 50 year absence) was perfectly outlined today. At the local 'Real Canadian Superstore' (big, low cost supermarket) there was a pile up of three karts (trolleys to Brits), two of which were owned by, shall we say, 'obvious' first generation Canadians of middle eastern origin. I could not get my kart through and I am limping quite a bit from sciatica as a result of a recent slipped disc. Now in the UK, I would be ready for a barrage of abuse as I tried to nudge one kart aside followed by snarls and dirty looks. But instead, a harassed lady with a lot of children demanding her attention apologised profusely and quick moved their kart - a smile from me and a grin from her and apologies all around. That sir, is what I call community and it is what I call Canada and I am proud to be here!

Oh, and GO LEAFS GO!
Old Jan 7th 2019, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Good post Hurlabrick!
Old Jan 7th 2019, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Addzz120

I asked for opinions and everyone is being oddly evasive or sarcastic.
no one has yet stated the claims I mentioned were false.
Oh, dear! Just another bleedin' troll!
Old Jan 7th 2019, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I agree ...... a great post by Hurlabrick
Old Jan 7th 2019, 7:28 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Good post Hurlabrick!
Originally Posted by scilly
I agree ...... a great post by Hurlabrick
All except the Leafs reference.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 9:33 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Good post Hurlabrick!
Generally, aside from the observation that Brexit may not define the life of a UK citizen but it will surely make it worse.
As for the OP. Don't feed the trolls.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 11:42 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
As for the OP. Don't feed the trolls.
I think that was sensible when trolls seemed to be lone frothing loons. Now that we' know they're only posing as lone frothing loons it's not so simple. I think the intent of this sort of thread is to push concepts into the mainstream so as to shift the bar of subsequent discussions. For example, there's no military wing of the Democratic party; repeatedly claiming that it exists is to develop a false equivalency so that, when organized gangs of Trumpist thugs beat someone up, Fox news can present a balanced view with Trumpist thugs on the one side and the Democratic party on the other. Nancy Pelosi and Gavin McInnes can be presented as equals. For a developed example of this strategy consider climate change; the climate is changing, people are causing it to change. Discussions of what to do get bogged down because, in the name of "balance", some ostrich always has to be dug up to explain that the Bible says it isn't happening. Rational discussions require that both sides of the discussion are within reasonable bounds and, in that case, one side in is in la-la-land.

I think there might be merit in taking the time to deride posters who advance outlandish ideas, as in the OP or Brexit supporters. Always accepting that engaging with their discussion points is as pointless as engaging with the ideas of the Jehovah's Witnesses on the doorstep.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 2:40 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
I have no idea what the OP is going on about - I do not spare a moment fretting about PC laws that may or may not be real and are passed by provinces in a federal system. I do not worry about 'pinko / commie / fags' in the Liberals or NDP - politics does not define my life any more than BREXIT should define the life of a UK citizen (although if the papers are to be believed it does!).

What I love about Canada (as someone who has returned after a 50 year absence) was perfectly outlined today. At the local 'Real Canadian Superstore' (big, low cost supermarket) there was a pile up of three karts (trolleys to Brits), two of which were owned by, shall we say, 'obvious' first generation Canadians of middle eastern origin. I could not get my kart through and I am limping quite a bit from sciatica as a result of a recent slipped disc. Now in the UK, I would be ready for a barrage of abuse as I tried to nudge one kart aside followed by snarls and dirty looks. But instead, a harassed lady with a lot of children demanding her attention apologised profusely and quick moved their kart - a smile from me and a grin from her and apologies all around. That sir, is what I call community and it is what I call Canada and I am proud to be here!

Oh, and GO LEAFS GO!
Clearly not had a brush with Acadians.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick

Oh, and GO LEAFS GO!
apart from leafs bit
Old Jan 7th 2019, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

My concern is that Trudeau isn't left-wing enough, the Liberals made many political promises design to attract left-leaning people but then they dissolve into platitudes when they're in government. A good example is Pharmacare, the Liberals are holding an advisory panel on whether to do a national Pharmacare program. No doubt this will go just like the Electoral Reform advisory panel - nothing will come of it but it looks like they're doing something...

However, Trudeau is seen as the "anti-conservative" by many online right wing groups. He's sort of seen by these people like how Hillary Clinton is seen in the US deep south. These people will shape and distort media to portray their version of reality. Do your homework on this.

The media here said it was Ontario law that if a Canadian couples kid who’s a boy, goes to to school and wants to return to school as a girl and the parents say no, your kids get taken away by the government? Surely not.....surely? I googled this and it seems it’s a law that was passed....are you kidding me?
This is a gross simplification. Grasping with gender-identity is an issue currently going around in Canada at the moment, and needs to be taken seriously. These issues are not black-and-white and every case has to be handled differently. This has likely come up because the child will now be protected under the charter for their gender-identity based on a recent law change, and if the parents are violating their child's rights, there could be issues, however I don't think this is very likely something to happen.

Also that Trudeau welcomes back ISIS fighters allowing them to retain their citizenship and even attend re- education programs to reintegrate them, they cited poetry classes as an example?
Yes because there are not "tiers" of citizenship. Once you are a Canadian citizen, you remain a citizen. More scary would be if the government could take away your citizenship for an arbitrary reason. Canada has rights and rule of law, no exceptions. This is how it should be, and is an example to the world on how to have an objective humanitarian rule of law, not political "feel-good" laws. From what I understand returning ISIS fighters are still prosecuted for their crimes and detained, they are not allowed to simply return and roam free.

There was also something about a terrorist who killed a US serviceman with a grenade getting a cheque for $11M??
Yes because the US government detained him, a Canadian Citizen, and the previous Canadian government allowed his human rights to be violated at Guantanamo. The Canadian government should have extradited him and jailed him in Canada or demanded he be kept in a regular US prison. Instead they allowed him to be barbarically tortured in the USA. Terrorist or not, he is still a human being. We don't get to pick and choose who gets rights and who doesn't.

I’m getting closer and closer to coming to Canada and this stuff makes me nervous. Even the UK bans returning ISIS fighters. I don’t like the idea of potentially walking past someone in Toronto who’s killed people, children, raped and beheaded.
As stated above, ISIS fighters are prosecuted under the criminal code, you may want to research this further.

Any thoughts on this? I’m asking out of shock really and surprise in what the Canadian Government is doing. I also read in Quebec if you wrongly call someone or refuse to call someone by their gender pronoun you can be prosecuted?
Depends on the intention, if you deliberately call someone by the wrong pronoun as part of a hateful campaign, then why shouldn't you be prosecuted, the same way someone who attacks gay people or a particular race? Imagine being a transgender person, trying to live a normal life, and someone verbally attacks you, you think that's acceptable?

Seems outright totalitarian?
I find the UK's obsession with internet data monitoring and CCTV cameras everywhere much, much worse.

How do you guys find it?
Has never once effected my daily life in Canada.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Depends on the intention, if you deliberately call someone by the wrong pronoun as part of a hateful campaign, then why shouldn't you be prosecuted, the same way someone who attacks gay people or a particular race? Imagine being a transgender person, trying to live a normal life, and someone verbally attacks you, you think that's acceptable.
I was mostly with you right up to here. The issue here is similar to the response you provided about we do not get to choose who has human right and who doesn't. In the same way we do not get to pick and choose who has a right to freedom of speech and who doesn't, even when that freedom is used to say some despicable and nasty things. To be clear I find such people deplorable and would never engage in such behavior myself, but people do not have a right to be protected against being insulted or made to feel bad. You cannot directly compare the impact from nasty comments against acts of physical violence, to me this is just a plain absurdity. I feel for trans-gender people who have to live in a society, that generally, does not accept them. But a persons freedom to speech is a basic human right which should be protected regardless of the person or what they say.

Last edited by Engineer_abroad; Jan 7th 2019 at 10:22 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.