Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Expanding my job search

Expanding my job search

Old Aug 9th 2009, 9:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Expanding my job search

I expanded my job search to now include to Vancouver/Burnaby/Richmond and anywhere else in Metro Vancouver that is transit accessible.

I get lots of places accepting resumes, lots of ads and job postings but no interviews. I doubt I can compete well in this market.

I have used employment resource center, they have now assisted me in re-doing my resume 2 times, I write cover letters specific to the job I am applying for, if I have sufficient contact information I try to follow up.

But when following up its mostly we will contact you, or we are not hiring, or she/he isn;t here today. Very little success in making contact with anyone other then the person who answers the phone.

Most likely these companies are just receiving too many resumes, so have just decided they can't speak to everyone who calls or tries to make contact, so I do understand, and some places are being even more sneaky and not including anything other then an email, no name, no phone number, and more and more are using the phrase " No phone calls please" Or "Only those selected for interview will be contacted."

I am not in a professional job, nor do I have formal education above high school. (college is not an option at the moment) and I dont qualify for EI.

I have been working since 1996 (2004-2006 could not due to immigration)

I've been a cashier (2 years), Airline, various positions (5 years), Stockroom, retail (9 months), Night Auditor, hotel (1.5 years) seasonal retail supervisor (1 year)

Haven't worked since December 27, 2008.

I have had 1 interview since then.

Average 80-100 resumes a month.

Yep, so anyone see's anyone hiring let me know....

Its a mini-rant
Old Aug 9th 2009, 3:08 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expanding my job search

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I expanded my job search to now include to Vancouver/Burnaby/Richmond and anywhere else in Metro Vancouver that is transit accessible.

I get lots of places accepting resumes, lots of ads and job postings but no interviews. I doubt I can compete well in this market.

I have used employment resource center, they have now assisted me in re-doing my resume 2 times, I write cover letters specific to the job I am applying for, if I have sufficient contact information I try to follow up.

But when following up its mostly we will contact you, or we are not hiring, or she/he isn;t here today. Very little success in making contact with anyone other then the person who answers the phone.

Most likely these companies are just receiving too many resumes, so have just decided they can't speak to everyone who calls or tries to make contact, so I do understand, and some places are being even more sneaky and not including anything other then an email, no name, no phone number, and more and more are using the phrase " No phone calls please" Or "Only those selected for interview will be contacted."

I am not in a professional job, nor do I have formal education above high school. (college is not an option at the moment) and I dont qualify for EI.

I have been working since 1996 (2004-2006 could not due to immigration)

I've been a cashier (2 years), Airline, various positions (5 years), Stockroom, retail (9 months), Night Auditor, hotel (1.5 years) seasonal retail supervisor (1 year)

Haven't worked since December 27, 2008.

I have had 1 interview since then.

Average 80-100 resumes a month.

Its a mini-rant
Why no Employment Insurance J ?
Old Aug 9th 2009, 3:53 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need to sit down and assess every facet of your applications and (don't take offence) yourself to understand what it is that is preventing you from finding work
Old Aug 9th 2009, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

albertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond repute

Cant help you with a job but I hope you get something really quick.
Good luck
Old Aug 9th 2009, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brownstar
I think you need to sit down and assess every facet of your applications and (don't take offence) yourself to understand what it is that is preventing you from finding work
Funny you should write that.... been doing the same for myself and often enough the answer is a) over qualified b) age... in a recession people don't like hiring those over 40.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Kirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to all

I've been having the same problems, although I only had a small area to look for employment up until now, we got a second car there and got me on the insurance and I have been looking and applying further afield. I have made 20 applications since last Sunday and so far I've only heard from one, which I have an interview for. I have the experience for the jobs and my resume and covering letters are all how they should be and targetted to each position. I think it's just the economy to be honest, employers seem to be dragging the heels alot more and being very careful in who they hire experience wise...I've noticed alot of administrative positions want 2-5 or more years experience.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 8:22 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck everyone Jsmith, have you tried just door knocking places in person?

I've just really started my job search. I've mentioned it to friends and so far have one in, but nothing certain. It's tricky because I'm in the Yukon right now which makes things difficult, obviously. I'm stuck to applying to stuff off craigslist which feels skeevy....

How have people found temping? Has anyone tried this in Vancouver?
Old Aug 10th 2009, 3:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Why no Employment Insurance J ?
I spent an extended amount of time in California in early 2008 and Summer 2008, so when the lay off happend in December, I did not have quite enough qualifying hours at the time the lay off happend. Next time I'll have to really think hard before taking a long vacation....

I am pretty sure I know why I dont get interviews:

1. No formal education above high school.

2. My main work experience is working in various positions with an airline and the airline industry is not well at the moment. ( 5 years there)

3. Secondary experience in hotel industry, and they are seeing a decline in business so not hiring as much. (night auditor)

4. BC/Vancouver hotels seems to prefer diploma/degrees even though the job doesn't require one, its just hotels can be picky right now and they are.

5. Retail doesn't seem to be doing well either, I applied to Wal-Mart and Tim Hortons and nothing, although Starbucks manager talked to me, but the region apparently has a hiring freeze at the moment. But I dont have a ton of retail experience other then when I was in high school.

I apply in person as well, just out here in Chilliwack there is limited places to apply.

I have an interview this week for a 2 week temp job at the fair at the PNE so atleast a little income coming in if I get a job there.

I know I need an education higher then what I have, its a money issue as well as a learning disability issue, never done well in school any point in my life, so I am wary about going back and getting into debt and then struggle to stay above water.

I learn best my doing and not by memorizing and reading, short term memory issue from meningitis as an infant from what the doctors tell me.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Are you willing to move?
Have you tried Westjet?
Old Aug 10th 2009, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

I've seen quite a few ads in windows round here saying that applications are being accepted, so if you don't mind retail then try the stores on the South Granville strip from Broadway to 16th, and also along Broadway heading West (I saw today that Pier 1 at Broadway and Pine had a new sign up)

Good luck
Old Aug 10th 2009, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass

How have people found temping? Has anyone tried this in Vancouver?
Hi Kiwilass

I've had some great experiences temping both here in Vancouver and in the UK. After landing in January I blitzed the temp agencies for admin roles and started work after 2 weeks. That temp job became a permanent contract with the organization and I've just got a promotion to another department. Luckily we're unaffected by the recession, and in fact have been hiring more staff to deal with the large workload. If you're interested and have a background in admin PM me and I'll give you the details of the agency I used and the organization I currently work for. You never know...

All the best
Old Aug 10th 2009, 5:41 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

why, thank you, Adele, I will PM you
Old Aug 10th 2009, 5:48 pm

Jsmith, I'll keep an eye open for you. I think you're what's called a 'kinesthetic learner"...seems like people have more understanding of different styles these days, when I went to kid's school for orientation they specifically mentioned some children learn better with their bodies/by doing.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 11:26 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

Flight Centre have been advertising quite a bit, and I do know that they're going through an upturn at the moment. Can't hurt
Old Aug 11th 2009, 4:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Jsmith, I'll keep an eye open for you. I think you're what's called a 'kinesthetic learner"...seems like people have more understanding of different styles these days, when I went to kid's school for orientation they specifically mentioned some children learn better with their bodies/by doing.
Possibility, I just know I do really bad in academic programs no matter how hard I study, I just can't remember enough, and essay style tests are even worse...lol

I did really well in EMT class back in California which surprised me, but its was 90% hands on learning and doing the skills vs just reading and listening to a lecture.

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Are you willing to move?
Have you tried Westjet?
I have tried Westjet several times over the years. I can't at the moment move outside the lower mainland of BC but can relocate within the lower mainland.

Originally Posted by Kirstine
I have made 20 applications since last Sunday and so far I've only heard from one, which I have an interview for. I have the experience for the jobs and my resume and covering letters are all how they should be and targetted to each position. I think it's just the economy to be honest, employers seem to be dragging the heels alot more and being very careful in who they hire experience wise...I've noticed alot of administrative positions want 2-5 or more years experience.
Sounds about what I've experienced, I have a little over a year working as a night auditor in a hotel, but the ones here seems to want 2-3 years or a degree/diploma even though it only takes maybe 2 days to learn the job, and requires no special skills.

I sent out 40 resumes alone on Monday all with cover letters written for the job applying to. Spent close to 10 hours searching, writing, and applying.

That doesn't include the 20 last week, the 30 something in July and 40 something in June and who knows how many before June.

I am going into Vancouver this week hopefully to drop in an apply, just arranging transportation. Down to the wire now and a little scared, rent is due Saturday and not sure how to pay it.....But the land lord wont call me back, and the bank calls me now looking for him, so maybe that will buy me some extra time...

I kinda think he skipped out, I know he is in a financial mess with the condos he bought and now can't rent.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 11th 2009 at 4:18 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.