Wikiposts

Excuse me?

Old Nov 23rd 2015, 2:04 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Excuse me?

Originally Posted by dbd33
And we won't, we'll go on enjoying nice round measures until we're 182.88 centiliters under.

Old Nov 23rd 2015, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Wouldn't you need to subtract 32 first, and divide the result by 1.8? Your method doesn't work in the example you gave (the reverse).
Oops..you're right.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

And we won't, we'll go on enjoying nice round measures until we're 182.88 centiliters under.
Good one...we'll agree to disagree on the pros and cons of the metric/imperial worlds.

A trip to the USA must put you at ease and you don't have to deal with the logical nature of the metric system.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 2:59 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure you'll be delighted to hear that on the night of the Grauniad's miscalculated winter horror tale, we experienced an Imperial Dusting of the white stuff.

Of course, I immediately thought of you.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 3:06 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I remember a book of mathematical tables - three-figure solutions for trigonometric functions, square roots, and logarithms (to base 10 and natural logarithms), that I must have used around the ages of 11-13, at which point I was given a scientific calculator one Christmas. It was expensive enough to have been a Christmas present rather than just something I needed for school.

I suspect I was also one of the last school cohorts to be formally taught how to use a slide rule.
I think you'll find that they were 4 significant figures (unless your mathematics teacher was a cheapskate or cared not a whit for precision). I used only those and a 12" slide rule all the way to A level and S level double maths.

I suppose yours was shorter?
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 3:18 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'm sure you'll be delighted to hear that on the night of the Grauniad's miscalculated winter horror tale, we experienced an Imperial Dusting of the white stuff.

Of course, I immediately thought of you.
A little over a foot accumulated on the deck over Saturday night, I wondered vaguely if that was close to the 20 centimes forecast but never troubled to do the sums. Instead we rode for a good few furlongs before making up some more 8x4 panels for the barn and settling down for a couple of pints.

"Halve it and subtract 30" was always good enough to match the two neon thermometers I passed on the way work; one in F, one in C. I'd have liked to have given the F company some business, just for having the sign, but it's an undertakers.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 3:21 am
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Fahrenheit is the imperial measure I never got a feel for.

I still use both sides of the tape measure because I quite like inches but more often than not end up confusing the sh*t out of myself because I can't remember which unit I'm using.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 3:41 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

For everyday temps f = 2c + 30 gets you within a couple of degrees quickly. Certainly good enough for the old people that need to know.

Edit: Beaten by dbd

Last edited by Alan2005; Nov 23rd 2015 at 3:45 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 3:50 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
For everyday temps f = 2c + 30 gets you within a couple of degrees quickly. Certainly good enough for the old people that need to know.
Wouldn't it be young people who need to convert? People educated here who want to leave their subdivision and travel a bit. They'd likely want to convert the temperatures in the forecast to the only ones they know.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 3:55 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't it be young people who need to convert? People educated here who want to leave their subdivision and travel a bit. They'd likely want to convert the temperatures in the forecast to the only ones they know.
If by travel you mean "nip over the border to do a bit of shopping" then I suppose so. But mostly everywhere else uses celcuis.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 4:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

No need to convert when the temperature hits minus 40 C or F and no need to convert the language you would use either to describe how cold it is
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 4:22 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I think you'll find that they were 4 significant figures (unless your mathematics teacher was a cheapskate or cared not a whit for precision). I used only those and a 12" slide rule all the way to A level and S level double maths.

I suppose yours was shorter?
You're right, of course. Four-figure tables.

Godfrey & Siddons. The "other" great G&S partnership, as my maths teacher (a fan of the d'Oyly Carte company) told us. A nugget from the depths of memory...
Attached Thumbnails Excuse me?-four-figure-tables.jpg