Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

It eventually had to happen.

It eventually had to happen.

Old Jan 13th 2014, 10:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default It eventually had to happen.

Over the last few years I was wondering when the first murder would happen as a result of someone texting where there is no real need to text and yes it was in the US.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A0C1CH20140113

Unfortunately today the ones using smart phones in public places seems to have the ability to forget common courtesy and manners as its all about them.
I see it in my job everyday when being interviewed either at the Primary Inspection line or in Immigration secondary.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 10:04 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It eventually had to happen.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Over the last few years I was wondering when the first murder would happen as a result of someone texting where there is no real need to text and yes it was in the US.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A0C1CH20140113

Unfortunately today the ones using smart phones in public places seems to have the ability to forget common courtesy and manners as its all about them.
I see it in my job everyday when being interviewed either at the Primary Inspection line or in Immigration secondary.
I'm more inclined to blame it in guns being allowed in movie theatres. Anything in the constitution about the right to bear cellphones?
Old Jan 13th 2014, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

Martin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bats
I'm more inclined to blame it in guns being allowed in movie theatres. Anything in the constitution about the right to bear cellphones?

Shooter is a retired cop, aged 71

Tampa Police Spokeswoman Laura McElroy said that Reeves was a Captain when he retired from the Tampa Police Department on Sept. 30, 1993.

"He was instrumental in establishing the department's first Tactical Response Team," said McElroy in a news release. She said she did not think Reeves had any contact with the department since his retirement.

Reeves was also employed by Busch Gardens as director of security until 2005. Reeves was a board member of Hernando Crime Stoppers, and served as its president from 2006-2007.

His son, Mathew Reeves, is currently a Tampa Police Officer, according to a news release. He has been with the department since 2003.
http://www.waff.com/story/24435699/2...chapel-theater

This story will be buried very quickly.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 2:02 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Is it really the first? I'd have expected it long ago.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I see it in my job everyday when being interviewed either at the Primary Inspection line or in Immigration secondary
I was waiting in line to cross the border by foot a few months back when I needed to go to the bank in the US, and the lady in front of me was texting as the officer was trying to ask her questions, have her 1 warning, and she stopped for about 2 minutes, then started up again.

He took her passport, went to talk to another officer, came back, and told the lady she was being denied entry into the US and would need to return to Canada.

Can't say I blame the officer, I'd be a bit peeved too, especially considering there are several signs that clearly state no cell phone use.

Obviously not a reason to kill someone, but so many now have no realization that texting or using a smart phone in say a movie theater is rude and distracting to others, and if you cant devote 2 hours to not sending a text or reading a text then re-think going to the movies. But again nobody should die over it.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 13th 2014 at 7:59 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 12:32 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

So what was distracting? The light from the phone? Is it anymore distracting than the stench of popcorn and hot dogs, slurping on a slurpee, people getting up to go to the loo.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 1:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

So what was distracting? The light from the phone? Is it anymore distracting than the stench of popcorn and hot dogs, slurping on a slurpee, people getting up to go to the loo.
I find the light distracting and its just not a place to be texting, if someone has to text during a movie, then they should not be seeing the movie in the first place.

Its simple manners really, there are places where its okay to use a cell phone and text and places where is not polite to do so.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 2:47 am
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I find the light distracting and its just not a place to be texting, if someone has to text during a movie, then they should not be seeing the movie in the first place.

Its simple manners really, there are places where its okay to use a cell phone and text and places where is not polite to do so.
IMHO The movie can't be that absorbing for you if the light is distracting. Talking on a phone is rather different but honestly I can't see that texting would be any worse than all the eating and drinking around you.

Shooting someone in a movie theatre would be distracting.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 3:16 am
Account Closed

IMHO The movie can't be that absorbing for you if the light is distracting. Talking on a phone is rather different but honestly I can't see that texting would be any worse than all the eating and drinking around you.

Shooting someone in a movie theatre would be distracting.
I certainly don't think anyone should die over something such as this, and don't advocate violence to solve situations like this.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 4:01 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I've never been in the dark where someone is texting. I imagine it wouldn't just be the light though. More the giggles and other reactions at reading the messages and the shuffling in the seat reaching for phone/putting it away/changing the angle/showing or commenting on the message received to your companion etc.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 9:02 am
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I've never been in the dark where someone is texting. I imagine it wouldn't just be the light though. More the giggles and other reactions at reading the messages and the shuffling in the seat reaching for phone/putting it away/changing the angle/showing or commenting on the message received to your companion etc.
The traditional response to giggles and shuffling is a loud "shhhh". Sometimes getting worked up about such things is more upsetting that ignoring it.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think he was killed for texting although it was apparently the match that lit the fuse.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 1:34 pm
limey party pooper

Popcorn was thrown
Old Jan 14th 2014, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

It just fits nicely into the sub category of dying for a nonsensical reason eg: queue jumping, asking the wrong neighbour to turn the music down and the classic requesting some chav to pick up his dogs shit. These hardly make headlines anymore!
Old Jan 14th 2014, 9:02 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Another of the many instances where gun control would have meant a life would be spared.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.