Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Eurostar from london - paris?

Eurostar from london - paris?

Old Aug 26th 2009, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud of
Default Re: Eurostar from london - paris?

Originally Posted by sharkus
So what's the point of Waterloo International now then?

If I recall, there is some new station somewhere in Essex, near Lakeside I think. It's got some odd name, that I do know. Has the move to Kings Cross been to enable travel to this new station, whereas on the other route it would not have been possible?

One of the reasons I'd never taken the Eurostar from Waterloo was that it was a bit of a pain. I'd have to get the train up to Waterloo East, change to Waterloo International. Seemed more direct to simply cut out the middle bit and drive down to Ashford.

Waterloo is still used for domestic services, and the old international platforms have been or are being converted back to domestic use. It's mainly used for trains to the South West, including commuter routes to South West London, I believe.

The new station is Ebbsfleet in Kent, near to Bluewater. Not all trains stop there, but it has a pretty regular service and is easily accessible by car from the M25 via the M2/A2. Fewer trains now stop at Ashford, but that could still be a good option, depending where you are starting from and whether you plan to get to the UK station by car or train.

I've used Eurostar several times, always from Ashford rather than the London terminus. Sometimes there are some cheap deals available - I used to be able to get the Friday evening train to Paris for £49 return, or upgrade to business class for a further £50.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 12:31 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

I have done this trip lots of times. I enjoy it more than flying, its so relaxed and the service is excellent, is you are on buisness class. Try to up grade if you can, the basic seats, are basic.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

The journey in the basic seats is more interesting if you are sitting behind a couple having a big row about kids (his, hers and theirs) and stuff like that and the wife ends up crying!!
Old Aug 27th 2009, 2:32 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Purley
The journey in the basic seats is more interesting if you are sitting behind a couple having a big row about kids (his, hers and theirs) and stuff like that and the wife ends up crying!!
I would have loved that - nothing like a bit of enterainment to help a journey pass.