Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Entrant for the Darwin Awards?

Entrant for the Darwin Awards?

Old Jul 4th 2011, 11:55 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Entrant for the Darwin Awards?

I know it shouldn't, but this made me chuckle.

A bareheaded motorcyclist participating in a ride to protest mandatory helmet laws was killed when he was thrown over the handlebars in Onandaga, New York.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/07/04/new...cyclist.death/
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:27 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entrant for the Darwin Awards?

if he had one visit to this mortal plane to make a comment, I bet it would be "Doh".

What a moron and serves him bloody self right (not that I wish anyone to die but you catch my drift)
Old Jul 5th 2011, 2:31 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

That's quite ironic. Maybe you should forward the link to alanis morissette.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:14 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

And yet the ride organisers still defend his right to choose...

Why anyone on a bike would trust the rest of the road users that much is beyond me. As Ron White said, "There aint no cure for stupid".
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:47 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Arizona is, like numerous other states, a "No Helmet" sate. I am horrified to see people roaring around on motorcycles wearing only a Tee shirt, shorts and "go aheads" (flip flops).
In medical circles these folks are known as donors ! (That's for their organs when the come unstuck)
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:55 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Arizona is, like numerous other states, a "No Helmet" sate. I am horrified to see people roaring around on motorcycles wearing only a Tee shirt, shorts and "go aheads" (flip flops).
In medical circles these folks are known as donors ! (That's for their organs when the come unstuck)
Well, to add some perspective if you come off a bike anywhere you are likely in trouble. An OPP associate of my boss recently referred to a full face helmet as a "Victim Recognition Aid". At least the family will be able to have an open casket funeral seems to be the gist of his comment...
Old Jul 5th 2011, 3:01 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Well, to add some perspective if you come off a bike anywhere you are likely in trouble. An OPP associate of my boss recently referred to a full face helmet as a "Victim Recognition Aid". At least the family will be able to have an open casket funeral seems to be the gist of his comment...
Full leathers with proper gloves, boots, lid, and back protector will see you very safely off your bike. Admittedly you may have issues if you hit something at high speed after the fact
Old Jul 5th 2011, 3:08 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by el_richo
Full leathers with proper gloves, boots, lid, and back protector will see you very safely off your bike. Admittedly you may have issues if you hit something at high speed after the fact
Kind of like the old cliche that its not the fall that kills you, its the hitting the ground...
Old Jul 5th 2011, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really nice

Whilst I appreciate the irony I think his protest was about the freedom of choice. Personally I think motorbikes are a deathtrap on wheels I would not want them banned. If somebody wants to ride one it is their choice. So why make it law to wear a helmet. When I learnt to drive you didn't have to wear a seat belt now it law, same for pushbike helmets. What's next bubblewrap suits for pedestrians. Nanny state or personal choice!
Old Jul 5th 2011, 3:29 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Winston Green
So why make it law to wear a helmet.
Cos someone has to protect the stupid from themselves, and I dont want to live with the guilt of killing someone in an accident that they could have survived if someone had made them wear a helmet, or the expense as either a tax payer or insurance carrier for taking care of someone who becomes a dribbling vegetable after getting a paralysing head injury that would have been a minor injury otherwise.

Selfish aint I.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 3:33 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Kind of like the old cliche that its not the fall that kills you, its the hitting the ground...
Yep

Well, the point is that if you fall at 70mph wearing full leathers, back protector, airbag etc, and don't hit anything too solid, the chances are you'll walk away without a scratch (maybe a break or fracture depending on the roll...). Do the same in jeans, t-shirt, flip flops, and a skull cap and the story would be much much different.

Like driving in a car with a seat belt and airbags versus without. Same crash, different outcome.

I personally think riders should be allowed to wear what they like when riding even though you have to be retarded to not protect yourself. I also think insurance companies should take that into account with premiums.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 3:34 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Quite aside from the obvious safety advantages of wearing a helmet, it's pretty uncomfortable to have dust, insects and stones hitting your face at 70mph.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 3:42 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I personally think riders should be allowed to wear what they like when riding even though you have to be retarded to not protect yourself. I also think insurance companies should take that into account with premiums.
Yes. This.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Quite aside from the obvious safety advantages of wearing a helmet, it's pretty uncomfortable to have dust, insects and stones hitting your face at 70mph.
Isn't that why all North American bikers have long, greying hair, big bushy beards and wear shades from the 70s?
Old Jul 5th 2011, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really nice

Protect the stupid!! Perhaps we should ban all dangerous sports and activies to keep insurance and medical costs down.tiddlywinks anybody.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.