Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

English Quality Street...

English Quality Street...

Old Dec 18th 2008, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English Quality Street...

Originally Posted by sas-lou
Some thing i have noticed though .. i had such a sweet tooth in England, here nothing tastes sweet not even the heinz baked beans .. on a brighter note though at least the dentist wont be charging me an arm and a leg ..
That's strange - I find the chocolate/candy here seems sweeter than that from the UK lol

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
They are rank, aren't they? I won't buy the Nestlé ones but I'll probably pick up a tin of Sobey's knock-offs... no idea why, general compulsion to buy all kinds of crap at Xmas
Do they taste any better? (The knock-offs)

Originally Posted by woodmanbg
No much prefer Roses.
Me too - wish they'd bring them over...

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
You should go food shopping with my OH at Xmas - he is insane - all the rubbish he HAS to have just because it's Christmas! Am attempting to put my foot down this year.....no doubt a tin of Crappy Quality Street will appear from the back of his car...!
Are our OH's related? Mine is the same, and he shouldn't be eating that stuff anyway....

Originally Posted by pennyhp
WHOO HOO!!!

So is that any box of Quality Street I see here in any store is English???
Good question - I'm not sure about that, but if you look on the packaging it will say where it's made or that it's imported.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 5:34 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Calgal
Are our OH's related? Mine is the same, and he shouldn't be eating that stuff anyway....
OH has just texted me to tell me he has been given a $25 voucher for the beer store and a $25 voucher for Sobeys. He informs me he will buy a bottle of Baileys and $25 worth of M&M's with these.....
Old Dec 18th 2008, 5:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brianscottie43
I'm sure there are Christmas geese available in the Halifax area, probably in a gourmet food shop.
I thought Superstore had them. Frozen, of course.....is that a no-no?
Old Dec 18th 2008, 5:37 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I thought Superstore had them. Frozen, of course.....is that a no-no?
Not wanting to sound....well, moany or something...but I just don't do frozen meat. Has to be fresh for me. No idea why.

I won't touch meat in a can either...or eat meat that I have cooked myself, in a sandwich the next day.

Perhaps my Mother forced these things upon me when I was younger or something?!!
Old Dec 18th 2008, 6:17 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Not wanting to sound....well, moany or something...but I just don't do frozen meat. Has to be fresh for me. No idea why.

I won't touch meat in a can either...or eat meat that I have cooked myself, in a sandwich the next day.

Perhaps my Mother forced these things upon me when I was younger or something?!!
You're not moany, merely mad.

You've reminded me of a bloke I used to work with. He would not drink anything he couldn't see through.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

OH has just texted me to tell me he has been given a $25 voucher for the beer store and a $25 voucher for Sobeys. He informs me he will buy a bottle of Baileys and $25 worth of M&M's with these.....
If Sobey's sell the Bailey's liquers he could get even more alcohol for his money
Old Dec 18th 2008, 6:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I understand that point because I remember buying frozen steaks that one could cook from frozen in those contact grills and they weren't as nice as 'fresh' ones.

But aren't 'fresh' products often ones that have previously been frozen anyway?

Or are you looking for a goose so fresh you can pluck it?

Or even strangle it or whatever they do.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 6:45 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir

You've reminded me of a bloke I used to work with. He would not drink anything he couldn't see through.
That must limit your choice somewhat at the office coffee vending machine....
Old Dec 18th 2008, 6:54 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by G77
That must limit your choice somewhat at the office coffee vending machine....
We didn't have one of those. I'm not sure if his obsession was pre-existing or began when he came to the company and soon realised that we all loathed him.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Obviously not a Guinness or scrumpy drinker then?
Old Dec 18th 2008, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

LotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BristolUK

Or are you looking for a goose so fresh you can pluck it?

Or even strangle it or whatever they do.
that reminds me of the time I bought a turkey from one of the researchers at the Uni.... it was still running around when they gave it to me!

As for what they do to it - wring (or rather pull) it's neck......
Old Dec 18th 2008, 10:28 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by LotteW
that reminds me of the time I bought a turkey from one of the researchers at the Uni.... it was still running around when they gave it to me!

As for what they do to it - wring (or rather pull) it's neck......
Just the one neck was it? After the "research" was done?
Old Dec 18th 2008, 11:32 pm

You're not moany, merely mad.

Oooh good - I like the idea of being seen as being a little mad! I will also not eat boiled eggs unless I boiled them
Old Dec 19th 2008, 12:18 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

From today's Daily Mail:-

Cadbury's has gone from Heroes to zeroes after it was accused of cheating customers by replacing favourite sweet ranges with less popular dark chocolates.

Without warning, the nation's favourite chocolatier has axed four ranges - Time Outs, Picnics, Dreams and Crunchies - from tins of Heroes and replaced them with just two - Bournvilles and toffee Eclairs.

It is estimated that at least one in every two households will open a tin of the best-selling sweets over Christmas only to be left disappointed with a heap of surplus dark chocolates.

I guess we're all on anti-depressants from now until whenever.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by brianscottie43
From today's Daily Mail:-

Cadbury's has gone from Heroes to zeroes after it was accused of cheating customers by replacing favourite sweet ranges with less popular dark chocolates.

Without warning, the nation's favourite chocolatier has axed four ranges - Time Outs, Picnics, Dreams and Crunchies - from tins of Heroes and replaced them with just two - Bournvilles and toffee Eclairs.

It is estimated that at least one in every two households will open a tin of the best-selling sweets over Christmas only to be left disappointed with a heap of surplus dark chocolates.

I guess we're all on anti-depressants from now until whenever.
Dark choc is supposed to be better for you. Knowing that makes me like it even less!