Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

England. Gone to Dogs?

England. Gone to Dogs?

Old Jan 7th 2012, 12:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default England. Gone to Dogs?

Today I was in the cheese shop. They had the usual run of cheeses from all over the world including those slightly gimmicky ones from the UK, Wensleydale with Cranberries, Wensleydale with pineapple, Stilton with pear. And there, amid them, in public view, "Thai Curry Cheddar"!

It was a weak green. A colour I thought used only by puppies with worms and the BMW car company. Pre-shat cheese. Is this what people put on their toast these days?
Old Jan 7th 2012, 12:15 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: England. Gone to Dogs?

Originally Posted by dbd33
Today I was in the cheese shop. They had the usual run of cheeses from all over the world including those slightly gimmicky ones from the UK, Wensleydale with Cranberries, Wensleydale with pineapple, Stilton with pear. And there, amid them, in public view, "Thai Curry Cheddar"!

It was a weak green. A colour I thought used only by puppies with worms and the BMW car company. Pre-shat cheese. Is this what people put on their toast these days?
Half of me shakes head in disgust at the chavy hoodlums with their crap taste in cheese and the other half is weeping, cos I want some.

Ps . White stilton with cranberry was always nice this time of year.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 12:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flogger
White stilton with cranberry was always nice this time of year.
There was an argument for getting some of that with this week's experimental cheese dollars but we went with an untried Camembert instead. Will give it a shot next week.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 12:39 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

There was an argument for getting some of that with this week's experimental cheese dollars but we went with an untried Camembert instead. Will give it a shot next week.
If its available out your way can't see it being more than ten years before we should be able to buy here. Happy days.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 12:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

If its available out your way can't see it being more than ten years before we should be able to buy here. Happy days.
I dunno about that. The St. Lawrence Market has had all manner of cheese for as long as I've been here. I bought large quantities of Cheddar, Stilton and Raclet for neighbours from the stand we were at this morning in the early 1980s and I've been going there ever since. That range of cheeses hasn't become available across the city, nevermind across the country, in the interim, so I don't see it ever happening. Why is a mystery to me, there's no shortage of immigrants across the province and I know they'll pay for eggs of the same quality they had at home so I can't see why they wouldn't pay for cheese.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 12:51 pm
no I aint

I dunno about that. The St. Lawrence Market has had all manner of cheese for as long as I've been here. I bought large quantities of Cheddar, Stilton and Raclet for neighbours from the stand we were at this morning in the early 1980s and I've been going there ever since. That range of cheeses hasn't become available across the city, nevermind across the country, in the interim, so I don't see it ever happening. Why is a mystery to me, there's no shortage of immigrants across the province and I know they'll pay for eggs of the same quality they had at home so I can't see why they wouldn't pay for cheese.
Maybe going down the Auld yin approach and adapting to cheese whiz, is the way.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 12:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Maybe going down the Auld yin approach and adapting to cheese whiz, is the way.
Aerosol cheese as a lubricant, that I can do. In the mouth? Not so much.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 1:18 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

"Thai Curry Cheddar"!
Ooowh nice, you get any

Sounds like it would go nice with a poppadom, chopped peppers and/or a dab of mango chuckney...
Old Jan 7th 2012, 1:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Ooowh nice, you get any

Sounds like it would go nice with a poppadom, chopped peppers and/or a dab of mango chuckney...
Sounds, and looks, Chavtastic. Thai mutter clearly aint the schmutter for Indian poppadoms.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 1:27 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds, and looks, Chavtastic. Thai mutter clearly aint the schmutter for Indian poppadoms.
Thai green curry can be served with parathas so its not that much of a stretch. Id try this cheese but my expectations would be low.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 1:43 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Thats a NO then
Old Jan 7th 2012, 2:06 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

You have experimental cheese dollars???
Old Jan 7th 2012, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

Wensleydale with additives is not "real" cheese in my book.

REAL Wensleydale is made in Hawes by the "real Wensleydale cheese company" (most that is for sale in the UK and the rest of the world is made by Dairycrest in Lancashire believe it or not - a Yorkshire cheese made in Lancashire. generations of Yorkshire men and women must be rotating in their graves!)
But even the Hawes creamery put fruit in their cheese - a travesty in my book. I can cope with blue Wensleydale cheese, but not the stuff that is contaminated with fruit!

Sorry for the rant but this is a bug-bear of mine.... I have friends that worked at the Hawes creamery before Dairycrest decided to close it and move the Wensleydale cheese production to lancashire... the workers formed a cooperative and bought the creamery and now produce cheese themselves on a profit sharing basis.

And in my opinion, the wensleydale they produce is far better - probably due to the bacterial cultures tbh.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

Camembert with caramelised red union chutney on a whole wheat cracker is delicious.

We only eat suff like that at Christmas, otherwise my waistline couldn't take it
Old Jan 7th 2012, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of cheese, I nearly choked on my morning coffee when I came across this little gem:

No person shall sell the normal lacteal secretion obtained from the mammary gland of the cow, genus Bos, or of any other animal, or sell a dairy product made with any such secretion, unless the secretion or dairy product has been pasteurized by being held at a temperature and for a period that ensure the reduction of the alkaline phosphatase activity so as to meet the tolerances specified in official method MFO-3, Determination of Phosphatase Activity in Dairy Products, dated November 30, 1981.
But then, to my delight:

Canada does permit the sale of raw milk cheeses that are aged over 60 days. In 2009, the province of Quebec modified regulations to allow raw milk cheeses aged less than 60 days provided stringent safeguards are met.
Yay !!!!!

Canada-USA 1-0

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.