Reload this Page >

Employer attitude after indicating leaving

Employer attitude after indicating leaving

Old Feb 6th 2019, 9:12 am
Just Joined

Scotcad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Employer attitude after indicating leaving

Hi all,

I have a situation with my current employer where I feel like I’m beginning to be excluded based on the fact they are aware I am moving to Canada.

As a courtesy, I let them know a good 8 months before when I was roughly planning to make the move (July this year) however said as I am letting you know in good faith I hope this will not be held again me in any opportunities that occur between now and then. I had to do this to get the employer reference but additionally could have not given them a rough date. Naturally, I completely understand their position how can’t help but feel a little annoyed that it now appears they are no longer interested in training/including me within the business.

A large number of staff are currently being put through training courses which I have not been put on. Am I being unreasonable thinking it’s unfair for them to do this as I am still fully legally employed by the business and haven’t given them any formal notice to leave yet. From my position, I am still a employee and should be treated the same as anyone else until I give them a full indicication I am leaving.

Just wondering what others thought; should I just get over it or do I have a right to expect to have the same opportunities as anyone else until I formally and legally notify them that I am Defintely leaving? Especially since my application for PR is still in process and if worst came to the worst and it was declined, I would be staying with the business.
Old Feb 6th 2019, 9:31 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employer attitude after indicating leaving

Originally Posted by Scotcad
Hi all,

I have a situation with my current employer where I feel like I’m beginning to be excluded based on the fact they are aware I am moving to Canada.

As a courtesy, I let them know a good 8 months before when I was roughly planning to make the move (July this year) however said as I am letting you know in good faith I hope this will not be held again me in any opportunities that occur between now and then. I had to do this to get the employer reference but additionally could have not given them a rough date. Naturally, I completely understand their position how can’t help but feel a little annoyed that it now appears they are no longer interested in training/including me within the business.

A large number of staff are currently being put through training courses which I have not been put on. Am I being unreasonable thinking it’s unfair for them to do this as I am still fully legally employed by the business and haven’t given them any formal notice to leave yet. From my position, I am still a employee and should be treated the same as anyone else until I give them a full indicication I am leaving.

Just wondering what others thought; should I just get over it or do I have a right to expect to have the same opportunities as anyone else until I formally and legally notify them that I am Defintely leaving? Especially since my application for PR is still in process and if worst came to the worst and it was declined, I would be staying with the business.
I would just get over it, they aren't interested in training you because it's noy addng value to the company, paying you to be trained when you will be taking that training to somewhere else. I can't see why you expected to be trained more by them when you were leaving.
Old Feb 6th 2019, 9:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

In all honesty, as an employer, I wouldn't invest time and money in an employee that had openly told me they wouldn't be around in a fairly short period of time. Depending on the kind of training, it could cost them thousands, and that's a big ask when they know you'll be taking those new found skills and applying them elsewhere.

Sorry, not what you want to hear I know.

Old Feb 6th 2019, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

Brooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really nice

We’re in the same boat at the moment. Just booked flights for the start of July, but not officially told work yet. My boss knows I plan on going ‘in a year or two’, but that’s it so far.

I think ill I’ll hold off a little longer and maybe give them 2-3 months notice (after annual bonus )
Old Feb 6th 2019, 11:14 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

It's the old thing, no good deed goes unpunished. It was good of you to let them know. Re the training opportunities, I think it's a bit unfair although I can understand the company's point of view as well. I managed over 100 employees in my last government job and wouldn't have hesitated to continue providing you with professional development opportunities, but then again I had a dedicated training budget. Best of luck with your future plans!
Old Feb 6th 2019, 11:42 am
Just Joined

BigfootsMotorbike is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in the same boat too. Told my employer on Friday we'll be leaving for Canada beginning of June. I told him now because we've become friends over the years, and as we're a small three people team, it's difficult to find a replacement with relevant skills/experience. I'd also like to keep him sweet for future reference purposes.

He mentioned he was about to arrange some training for me in the coming months, but as I'm leaving he wouldn't get approval now. I accept this since we share a training budget and the course would have cost roughly £3000. If I demanded they book it, I would end up paying for it myself anyway since it's in my contract if I leave.

There's not a lot you can do. Unless you turn around and say you're definitely not going, then they will be focusing on adjusting their plans to not include you.
Old Feb 6th 2019, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Brooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really nice

Where about are you all moving? We’re heading to Okanagan area of BC. Not a great deal of it jobs there though
Old Feb 6th 2019, 12:38 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

The emigration process is rarely offers guarantees, particularly regarding timescales. As much as employee loyalty is an admirable trait, why put your employer in a position where investment in yourself becomes questionable by declaring your intentions (however firm or tentative) so far ahead of time?

My advice would be to stick to your contractual notice period and keep one's counsel until you've definitive plans and so won't suffer from a negative perception at work. If you're a valued employee a decent reference should be forthcoming anyway.
Old Feb 6th 2019, 12:42 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brooks52
Where about are you all moving? We’re heading to Okanagan area of BC. Not a great deal of it jobs there though
Lots of low/mid paid service industry work, very little else unless you're entrepreneurial. The influx of Vancouver/Lower Mainland retirees over the past 15 years hasn't encouraged industrial and commercial development to any great degree.
Old Feb 6th 2019, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

BigfootsMotorbike is an unknown quantity at this point

"Where about are you all moving? We’re heading to Okanagan area of BC. Not a great deal of it jobs there though "

We don't have anything like a job offer yet, so not fully decided.

We were thinking maybe Ottawa.
Old Feb 6th 2019, 1:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

As a courtesy, I let them know a good 8 months before when I was roughly planning to make the move (July this year) however said as I am letting you know in good faith I hope this will not be held again me in any opportunities that occur between now and then. .
I think you need to be aware that the employment climate in Canada is set up rather less in the employee's favour than that in the UK. It all depends on the employer, of course, but there are many employers here who, upon hearing your plan would dump you for someone else. Employers can, by and large, did-employ people at whim. Examples I know of being firing someone for having a heart attack and firing someone for not answering the phone while driving. Notice must be paid but that's that. "It's just like India" says the man at the next desk "they can have someone else in your chair over lunchtime".

Old Feb 6th 2019, 2:18 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Does the lack of training put you at a disadvantage immediately? If so and it was a significant disadvantage, then you might have a reasonable case if it damaged earning power or appraisal reports/references.

If worst came to worst would they welcome your continuing employment and provide any missing training?

Old Feb 6th 2019, 4:14 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

I indicated a few years ago that I was merely looking around. The pay reviews were due in a few weeks and I found that I was the only one who didn't get a pay rise.

Taught me to keep my gob shut and not try and be helpful.
Old Feb 6th 2019, 5:55 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Well if that's your level of expectations and tolerance with employers then Canada will shock you my friend!
Old Feb 15th 2019, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

madeupname3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Edo
Well if that's your level of expectations and tolerance with employers then Canada will shock you my friend!
How would you say employers in Canada differ from those in the UK?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.