British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Emma Raducanu! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/emma-raducanu-940627/)

BritCanadaNewbie Sep 12th 2021 11:33 pm

Emma Raducanu!

Great win for Emma!
Shame it wasn't on alot in downtown Toronto. Would have been great to watch with Fellow Expats! Think she was born in North York here in Toronto. So a Win for Toronto and Bromley South London(Where I'm from :)

Bravo~!

dbd33 Sep 13th 2021 12:24 am

Re: Emma Raducanu!

Originally Posted by BritCanadaNewbie (Post 13050645)
Great win for Emma!
Shame it wasn't on alot in downtown Toronto. Would have been great to watch with Fellow Expats! Think she was born in North York here in Toronto. So a Win for Toronto and Bromley South London(Where I'm from :)

Bravo~!

It's a great achievement for her and she seems a personable young woman so that's all good. But, she's a Romanian Chinese born in Canada representing Britain against an Ecuadorian Filipino representing Canada to replace a Haitian Japanese. The idea of nationality seems misplaced. She's just her.

Former Lancastrian Sep 13th 2021 1:10 am

Wasn't Andy Murray Scottish when he lost but British when he won? I agree with dbd she is just her. Lets see where she is in another 4 years time as many a young tennis player burnt themselves out and there will always be another on the next bus. Very hot property at the moment for endorsing all sorts of things and I expect her to adorn a Wheaties box very soon but her brand will not be as great as Air Jordan or CR7.

Danny B Sep 13th 2021 1:14 am

She only won cos of that medical timeout, she robbed the true Canuck;)

I love reading Twitter comments…

RICH Sep 13th 2021 1:31 am

2 incredibly skilled athletes regsrdless of where born or where their parents were born, fact is they are now commodities for big business to manipulate..

abner Sep 13th 2021 3:02 am

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 13050657)
...fact is they are now commodities for big business to manipulate..

Yeah, that's their biggest problem right now... :hysterical:

Damn, didn't Raducanu look comfortable behind the wheel of that McLaren?

mikelincs Sep 13th 2021 8:08 am

I suspect there haven't been any other tennis finals with such a mix of nationalities playing on both sides of the net. I make it 7 counting the Canadian part as two. I hop she buys the house next to Farage, as he said he never wanted to live next door to a Romanian, and what will Patel say? seeing the pages devoted to an immigrant. She has already given TV interviews to Romanian TV and Chinese TV. and of course, given her heritage, she used their own languages. Her biggest problem, at the moment, will be the expectations heaped on her. Her next match will have her expected to win everything. She has jumped from a ranking of 336 before Wimbledon to 23 now.

Jingsamichty Sep 13th 2021 9:14 am

I watched the match and was delighted for her, she seems a nice young lady. I was really disappointed to read the Sunday papers where it was suggesting she could become sports first billion-dollar female. She's barely woken up and her achievement has already just been reduced to how much money she could amass. What's wrong with people?

Danny B Sep 13th 2021 3:13 pm

This was a fanta$tic idea by her agent, now she has all the Chinese media wetting their pants as she is 'half Chinese' and she speaks fluent Mandarin....this girl is going to be minted by the end of the year.

Almost Canadian Sep 13th 2021 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 13050657)
2 incredibly skilled athletes regsrdless of where born or where their parents were born, fact is they are now commodities for big business to manipulate..

Isn't it her choice as to which endorsements she chooses to accept?

dbd33 Sep 13th 2021 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 13050839)
Isn't it her choice as to which endorsements she chooses to accept?

Besides which, if she gave up tennis and took up bookkeeping or plumbing or computer programming, she'd still be a commodity for big business to manipulate.

JamesM Sep 13th 2021 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 13050651)
It's a great achievement for her and she seems a personable young woman so that's all good. But, she's a Romanian Chinese born in Canada representing Britain against an Ecuadorian Filipino representing Canada to replace a Haitian Japanese. The idea of nationality seems misplaced. She's just her.

If we say she's British we can claim some sort of jingoistic patriotic victory for ourselves.

I personally made great sacrifice watching that tennis on my sofa with a glass of red in hand. I even refilled it myself.

She is a product of our fine tennis player producing system. When we watched Wimbledon, over the years, for that two weeks and complained continuously about Jo Durie and Jeremy Bates not being good enough we all played our part.

All that aside she was comfortably better than everyone she played and if she avoids injury will likely win many.

BritCanadaNewbie Sep 13th 2021 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 13050651)

Strange thing to say. Any sports man or woman doing a sporting achievement would be just on their shoulders?? Her nationality is not misplaced and not overblown. I think you need to research before race trolling the origins of her parents??
She's very much British. She's went to the same primary school as my nephews. She' came to UK when she 2. She only 1 nationality which is British. She is NOT a dual national. Its something to celebrate to as we've not a decent female British tennis player come through our BRITISH state systems at all for 40 years.
What she did and how did it is a complete marvel. Perhaps one of the greatest in any sport.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...itish-win.html

JamesM Sep 13th 2021 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by BritCanadaNewbie (Post 13050857)
Strange thing to say. Any sports man or woman doing a sporting achievement would be just on their shoulders?? Her nationality is not misplaced and not overblown. I think you need to research before race trolling the origins of her parents??
She's very much British. She's went to the same primary school as my nephews. She' came to UK when she 2. She only 1 nationality which is British. She is NOT a dual national. Its something to celebrate to as we've not a decent female British tennis player come through our BRITISH state systems at all for 40 years.
What she did and how did it is a complete marvel. Perhaps one of the greatest in any sport.

What are your thoughts on Britney getting engaged again?

​​​​​​https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...VEN-stone.html

Jerseygirl Sep 13th 2021 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by BritCanadaNewbie (Post 13050857)

AFAIK she has not renounced her Canadian citizenship, therefore, she is a dual Canadian/British citizen. I have no idea whether she inherited her parents’ nationalities.