Election 2021

Old Sep 21st 2021, 3:30 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Election 2021

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
Canada could easily go down a similar road as Australia. They seem to have new elections in Australia every 2 years or so? Or at least up until a couple of years or so it was that way.
Federal elections in Oz must be held at least once every 3 years, the Prime Minister chooses the date and can (and you're right, often does) choose an earlier election date.
Old Sep 21st 2021, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
Ultimately Trudeau will have a credibility problem.

Spending 600 Million, to achieve absolutely nothing?

And then there are issues with affordable childcare, elderly care homes, affordable housing, etc..... How much of this could one actually deliver with 600 Million.

The election was taxpayer's money wasted.
The cost was orders of mag higher if you count all the spending commitments. That’s OK. The budget can always balance itself and nobody gives a monkey about our monetary policy.
Old Sep 21st 2021, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
At least it is better than the US. Elections every 4 years in November. President does not take office until end of January. The following year campaigning begins. The costs involved are obscene.
The American election system has got to be the biggest joke of all!
Bit like them holding on to the imperial system, when no one else in the world uses it anymore!
Old Sep 21st 2021, 4:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

At least it is better than the US. Elections every 4 years in November. President does not take office until end of January. The following year campaigning begins. The costs involved are obscene.
Well technically the US has federal elections every 2 years, House Of Representatives only have 2 year terms.
Old Sep 21st 2021, 4:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Well technically the US has federal elections every 2 years, House Of Representatives only have 2 year terms.
yes indeedy
Old Sep 21st 2021, 4:41 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Last week I foolishly signed up to help count the votes in Kamloops, I thought it would be one of those rare things to do in your life, same as Jury service.

How wrong was I, what an antiquated manual system we have here in Canada. I wont bore you with the details, but coming from someone who works in IT and loves to automate repetitive tasks, why on earth have we not gone digital with voting yet?

I get the security about voting from home, but why on earth can't we drive to the polling station, and digitally enter our vote there? The counting of the votes would then take seconds, instead of hours and hours....
Old Sep 21st 2021, 4:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Bit like them holding on to the imperial system, when no one else in the world uses it anymore!
Unfortunately at the time the US was founded there was great distrust with the UK, so the founders make it incredibly difficult for change, sometimes I think the founders make it a little too difficult to change things.

US tried to go metric, when I was a kid they were pushing it hard in school because we were all going to be metric by 1990 if you believed teachers.

Probably a good thing since I failed metric hard in school, not that I did well in math, but metric was for some reason difficult for me, probably because I sucked at math.

Old Sep 21st 2021, 4:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
What about the UK? Brexit Benefit and all that.
Old Sep 21st 2021, 4:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Danny B
Last week I foolishly signed up to help count the votes in Kamloops, I thought it would be one of those rare things to do in your life, same as Jury service.

How wrong was I, what an antiquated manual system we have here in Canada. I wont bore you with the details, but coming from someone who works in IT and loves to automate repetitive tasks, why on earth have we not gone digital with voting yet?

I get the security about voting from home, but why on earth can't we drive to the polling station, and digitally enter our vote there? The counting of the votes would then take seconds, instead of hours and hours....
Have you seen the chaos voting machines cause south of the border?

CBC actually ran article that a couple weeks ago, boils down to Elections Canada takes a cautious and incremental approach to technology, paper is reliable, and apparently industry has not created an electronic system that meets whatever criteria Elections Canada requires.

Old Sep 21st 2021, 4:48 pm
Account Closed

Unfortunate for the one Liberal MP who made that comment about Taliban, appears she lost and will be about 3 weeks shy of 6 years needed to get the pension.

Old Sep 21st 2021, 4:53 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

If the CBSA has the technology for those Automated Border Clearance Self-Serve Kiosks at major airports, I'm sure elections Canada can do the same thing for voting. It's craziness counting every single vote by hand. We made plenty of mistakes last night as time went on and we got tired
Old Sep 21st 2021, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

So I have learned…if he has a vote of no confidence.
Not necessarily. There was no vote of no confidence this time, just an opportunistic attempt that failed.
Old Sep 21st 2021, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Well I would hope people voted for Brexit for more significant reasons other than retaining the awkward imperial system... the biggest problem for me is the converting back and fourth all the time.... which can be the cause of errors... The Gimli gider... where the Air Canada Boeing 767 ran out of fuel mid flight was caused by a conversion error between metric and imperial! pertty scary... but sometimes a very easy mistake to make.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Unfortunately at the time the US was founded there was great distrust with the UK, so the founders make it incredibly difficult for change, sometimes I think the founders make it a little too difficult to change things.

US tried to go metric, when I was a kid they were pushing it hard in school because we were all going to be metric by 1990 if you believed teachers.

Probably a good thing since I failed metric hard in school, not that I did well in math, but metric was for some reason difficult for me, probably because I sucked at math.
I wasn't very good a math at school either, but when I started doing my job I got much better at it, and metric makes it a lot easier.... no fractions or odd numbers! and all units if measure are interchangeable.... particuarly volume and weight.. which makes life so much easier... I rarely work in metric now though, some of the drawings I now produce look like something for the Titanic with all the fractional dimensions!
Old Sep 21st 2021, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Some posters on this forum still insist on it Are you Nigel Farage in disguise.
Old Sep 21st 2021, 5:09 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Danny B
If the CBSA has the technology for those Automated Border Clearance Self-Serve Kiosks at major airports, I'm sure elections Canada can do the same thing for voting. It's craziness counting every single vote by hand. We made plenty of mistakes last night as time went on and we got tired
Voting machines already exist in the world, so not like its some new tech either, but who knows what election Canada requires to meet their requirements, they were a little vague on that part in the article.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.