Wikiposts

EEEeeek!

Old Aug 1st 2007, 12:15 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EEEeeek!

Originally Posted by Edna Bucket
Me and the OH like to catch the reactions by lapsing into broad Suffolk from time to time ie "Do you runnen on a loada squit"
(I think you're talking rubbish)
Now I always thought 'a load of old squit' was a Norfolk expression as opposed to Suffolk. (I grew up on the Norfolk/Suffolk border.) In any event, I'm sure its suitably incomprehensible to Canadians.

I find that when I'm having difficulty being understood I either go very terribly terribly proper RP BBC or for reasons that I don't fully understand go very Cock-er-ny gawd blimey, Estuarial english. (probably as a result of living in Essex for 14 years.) Neither of which makes much sense to my audience.
Here of course in Newfoundland, accents are a joy, much nicer than the faux American that most of the mainlanders (excepting quebec) seem to speak. I do cause a certain amount of amusement by using colloquial expressions in my English accent.

For example, discussing a complex problem yesterday at work I described it as a 'tangly' situation but would 'get on the go' and get it 'clewed up.' I imagine only Townie Girl and dbd33 here would have the faintest idea what that meant!
Old Aug 1st 2007, 12:23 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Now I always thought 'a load of old squit' was a Norfolk expression as opposed to Suffolk. (I grew up on the Norfolk/Suffolk border.) In any event, I'm sure its suitably incomprehensible to Canadians.

I find that when I'm having difficulty being understood I either go very terribly terribly proper RP BBC or for reasons that I don't fully understand go very Cock-er-ny gawd blimey, Estuarial english. (probably as a result of living in Essex for 14 years.) Neither of which makes much sense to my audience.
Here of course in Newfoundland, accents are a joy, much nicer than the faux American that most of the mainlanders (excepting quebec) seem to speak. I do cause a certain amount of amusement by using colloquial expressions in my English accent.

For example, discussing a complex problem yesterday at work I described it as a 'tangly' situation but would 'get on the go' and get it 'clewed up.' I imagine only Townie Girl and dbd33 here would have the faintest idea what that meant!
One of things I like about living where I do is the freedom to use the word "bollocks" loudly, in public and with impunity.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 12:30 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
One of things I like about living where I do is the freedom to use the word "bollocks" loudly, in public and with impunity.

Which brings us back to this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...algary+scroats which was one of the funniest ever IMHO.

"Bollocks","Wanker" & "Git" are expressions that can be used without the fear of offending too many.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 12:39 am

Which brings us back to this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...algary+scroats which was one of the funniest ever IMHO.

"Bollocks","Wanker" & "Git" are expressions that can be used without the fear of offending too many.
I can also get away with git. The other on is a little riskier.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Brandon?? Thetford? MOH is from Brandon
Old Aug 1st 2007, 12:45 am
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by batty-x-ray
Brandon?? Thetford? MOH is from Brandon
Beccles.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Beccles.
Nice place
Old Aug 1st 2007, 12:53 am

Beccles.
I just went into the street and shouted "Beccles!". Nobody batted an eyelid.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 12:57 am
Slightly Canadian

I did.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

try Beccles and Bungay, that should work
Old Aug 1st 2007, 1:18 am
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by batty-x-ray
try Beccles and Bungay, that should work
Apropos to Bungay....well not really. Souv, if you head over the river to a LCBO store you can buy a rather splendid beer brewed in Bungay. "St Peters Organic Ale". Well worth checking out.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 1:30 am

Apropos to Bungay....well not really. Souv, if you head over the river to a LCBO store you can buy a rather splendid beer brewed in Bungay. "St Peters Organic Ale". Well worth checking out.
Organic? Does that mean it makes you fart lots?
Old Aug 1st 2007, 1:32 am
Slightly Canadian

Organic? Does that mean it makes you fart lots?
No more than other beer. Your farts are chemical free though.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 1:37 am

Your farts are chemical free though.
Not according to Souvette. I believe mine break several arms treaties.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 1:46 am
Slightly Canadian

Not according to Souvette. I believe mine break several arms treaties.

Weapons of Mass Disgust?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.