Wikiposts

EEEeeek!

Old Jul 31st 2007, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

RodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: EEEeeek!

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I told my wife when I first met her, that I could speak any language in the world except Greek.

She replied you can't even speak French.

To which I replied that's Greek to me.

I'll get me coat.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

ha that is pretty funny...~

my husband asked for ..veal parmigian in a restaurant a few weeks back..the girl ended up bringing him chicken.....her.> isn't it the same thing..? what's the difference between veal and chicken!.....

also..i am an aussie in Canada..is amazing how many here think i am initialy from England...?..i say no..put me with a person from England and trust me you will hear the difference......
Old Jul 31st 2007, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really nice

The weirdest comment I've ever heard about my RP was "it sounds like a mix of Eastern-European and French accents". Upon hearing that, I remember having the sudden urge to reply with "Oi!"...
Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madmac
A situation from a few months ago speaking to a work colleague:

Colleague: "John, what language do they speak in Scotland?"

Me: " Well we speak.........." - interrupted at that point.

Colleague: "It's Dutch isn't it?"

Me: "No, they speak Dutch in........." - interrupted again.

Colleague: "No, wait a minute, it's German isn't it?"

Me: "No, they speak German in Germany and Dutch in the Netherlands - Holland."

Colleague: "Oh, I was sure it was Dutch they spoke in Scotland."

Me: "Can you speak Dutch...or even German?"

Colleague: "No, but...." - I now interrupt

Me: "I mean you've been speaking to me for the last few weeks and hopefully understanding me so if I speak Dutch then you must understand Dutch?"

Colleague: "Well no, but.." - extremely confused and pained look on face (probably wishing she hadn't started the conversation)

Me: "We speak english, just like you, er er no wait a minute, we speak it better than you but with a Dutch accent." -

Colleague: Just stares and smiles in that distant manner I'm getting so used to.
Woooo, I can see a lot of fun comming up for me - South African accent some way changed to West London accent - work that one out suckers!
Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:21 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveTheCat
The weirdest comment I've ever heard about my RP was "it sounds like a mix of Eastern-European and French accents". Upon hearing that, I remember having the sudden urge to reply with "Oi!"...
I get annoyed when colleagues appear unable to distinguish my RP tones from those of the Scouse guy that works for me!
Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:36 am
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I get annoyed when colleagues appear unable to distinguish my RP tones from those of the Scouse guy that works for me!
I have a broad Bristolian accent - even after yeah many years here! And yet so many people ask me what part of Ireland I am from!!!! Go figure.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:59 am

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Madmac
A situation from a few months ago speaking to a work colleague:

Colleague: "John, what language do they speak in Scotland?"

Me: " Well we speak.........." - interrupted at that point.

Colleague: "It's Dutch isn't it?"

Me: "No, they speak Dutch in........." - interrupted again.

Colleague: "No, wait a minute, it's German isn't it?"

Me: "No, they speak German in Germany and Dutch in the Netherlands - Holland."

Colleague: "Oh, I was sure it was Dutch they spoke in Scotland."

Me: "Can you speak Dutch...or even German?"

Colleague: "No, but...." - I now interrupt

Me: "I mean you've been speaking to me for the last few weeks and hopefully understanding me so if I speak Dutch then you must understand Dutch?"

Colleague: "Well no, but.." - extremely confused and pained look on face (probably wishing she hadn't started the conversation)

Me: "We speak english, just like you, er er no wait a minute, we speak it better than you but with a Dutch accent." -

Colleague: Just stares and smiles in that distant manner I'm getting so used to.
When I went to NS in October last year I was going to my friends work and the kids there though that we were going to speak polish.

Oh and in response to Kate White I get asked all the time (even in the UK) "are you irish"?
Old Jul 31st 2007, 6:02 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob4BC
Woooo, I can see a lot of fun comming up for me - South African accent some way changed to West London accent - work that one out suckers!
Lots will think it's Aussie.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 9:09 am
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

Me and the OH like to catch the reactions by lapsing into broad Suffolk from time to time ie "Do you runnen on a loada squit"
(I think you're talking rubbish)
Old Jul 31st 2007, 9:14 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I told my wife when I first met her, that I could speak any language in the world except Greek.

She replied you can't even speak French.

To which I replied that's Greek to me.

I'll get me coat.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Lots will think it's Aussie.
Yes I get that a lot here too!
Old Jul 31st 2007, 1:38 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm glad it's not just me! We quite often get asked if we're Aussie, my reply is no I'm a limey. I was just so shocked that someone would not know that someone from England would speak English and then not realise her mistake Oh Well! Gives us a topic of conversation
Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

My OH has been working for just over two weeks now in his new job, working closely with two other Brits and twelve Canadians. He speaks with a slight ' saff lundun' accent - he's heducated, you know ...

He made some comment this afternoon, and a Canadian guy said to him "that's the first thing you've said that I have understood" !!! So, it's taken 14 days
Old Jul 31st 2007, 9:04 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
When I went to NS in October last year I was going to my friends work and the kids there though that we were going to speak polish.

Oh and in response to Kate White I get asked all the time (even in the UK) "are you irish"?
Well as you all know I am from Northern Ireland and yet whenever I am in England they always ask me what part of Scotland am I from????
Old Aug 1st 2007, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edna Bucket
Me and the OH like to catch the reactions by lapsing into broad Suffolk from time to time ie "Do you runnen on a loada squit"
(I think you're talking rubbish)
As my suffolk man husband says "Dont rush me, I'm Suffolk* He fits in here a treat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.