British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Dry January (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/dry-january-946767/)

Oink Jan 16th 2023 4:09 pm

Dry January

Is anyone here doing Dry January? According to HID it's quite the trendy thing to do in her circle of "friends" so she suggested I try it. The three things I have noticed so far (day 16); I'm getting a lot more work done in the evenings (probably due to the mind-numbing boredom), my restaurant bills are substantially lower and people seem to be a lot more annoying. The promised euphoria of fresh sobriety and general physical well-being has not yet materialized but I'm naively optimistic, so I've got two more weeks to see if I can see even a hint of The Promised Land (topical reference for my American friends). Anyway, if any of you are attempting this goal, good luck and bottoms down.

Former Lancastrian Jan 16th 2023 4:19 pm

Re: Dry January

We have had some freezing rain so I guess Dry January is no more. Haven't had a drink yet but still time although my days of sessions and drinking excessively have been curtailed.

dbd33 Jan 16th 2023 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 13166103)
Is anyone here doing Dry January? .

No.

bats Jan 16th 2023 9:29 pm

I haven't had a drink in almost a year. Decided to just drink at weekends and forgot to. Now I don't like the taste of it and prefer a better night's sleep
Sadly it hasn't helped with weight loss nor am I richer.

CanadaJimmy Jan 16th 2023 9:47 pm

Being a Dad I find drinking alcohol just "reminds" me how sleep deprived I am, so I tend to just stick to alcohol free beers at dinner time now.

The Stanley Park Brewing Trail Hopper is really good. Not cheap though, $10 for a pack of 4. You would never know it was alcohol free.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...d54f53f4c7.png

Star Trek predicted "synthahol" but I honestly think the real future is just really convincing alcohol free beers and wines.

BEVS Jan 16th 2023 10:25 pm

MrBEVS is doing this Jan - March.

Note; I wrote MrBEVS is doing this.

Jingsamichty Jan 17th 2023 9:39 am

I'm doing Dry-er January, i.e. it will be dryer than December. Trying to keep it to weekends or for specific reasons. Going OK so far but I agree about the boredom... find myself thinking "Is 9pm too early to go to bed?"

JamesM Jan 17th 2023 8:40 pm

I haven't had a drink in 48 hours. I'm simply hoping to hold out till Saturday. Friday will be a challenge.

I did 11 weeks of sobriety back in around 2013 when I tore my stomach lining after a week of thrashing the system back in Blighty. I attended a small meet up at the Yard where Novocastrian and Oakvillian got very pissed. I was highly envious.

The main benefit was a bit less weight and my skin particularly on the face was less dry. Otherwise it was a very boring period of my life. Hooters simply was not the same even with the sweet potato fries.

Lorry1 Jan 18th 2023 12:36 pm

WOW! Returned to England from Canada in 2013, haven't been on this site for a few years, yet recognise everyone whose posted on this forum. Hope you're all ok in Canada?

In answer to Oinks question; No, no I'm not.

btar Jan 18th 2023 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 13166319)
I'm doing Dry-er January, i.e. it will be dryer than December. Trying to keep it to weekends or for specific reasons. Going OK so far but I agree about the boredom... find myself thinking "Is 9pm too early to go to bed?"

Keeping it to weekends should fit in nicely with the latest Canadian recommendations - 2 standard drinks per week to stay at low risk of cancer and heart problems. BTW, how big is standard?

Partially discharged Jan 19th 2023 11:06 am

I think going from I think it was 10 drinks/week to 2 drinks/week is some sort of drastic change and it seems as though Canada is the only country recommending that. I decided on January 1 to just not have beer in the house. I typically end up at the pub post footie one night a week and have a pint with t' lads and it works fine for me.

Atlantic Xpat Jan 19th 2023 5:05 pm

Had to give up drinking much at all from Oct '21 through to April '22 for a specific health-related issue. Lost about 35lbs, partly due to no booze, partly due to not eating much of anything. Once recovered from surgery I've been able to drink and eat more normally and sadly 25 of those lbs have mysteriously reappeared. So I'm trying to make a conscious effort to drink less & have a few alcohol-free days a week. Better than a supposed detox for a month just because it sounds cool. Also, I'm drinking a bit due to stress (kid with cancer, going through chemo) and thats not healthy so I'd like to change. We'll see how it goes.

jandro Jan 19th 2023 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 13166804)
I think going from I think it was 10 drinks/week to 2 drinks/week is some sort of drastic change and it seems as though Canada is the only country recommending that. I decided on January 1 to just not have beer in the house. I typically end up at the pub post footie one night a week and have a pint with t' lads and it works fine for me.

It's 10 standard drinks for women and 15 standard drinks for men per week with a few dry days mixed in for low-risk alcohol drinking. Mandatory health warning labels as big as the ones on cigarette packages seems a bit drastic as well. At the rate of 2 drinks/week I'd never get through my stocks.

Teaandtoday5 Jan 19th 2023 8:54 pm

Doing similar to Jings, and have been in bed by 9.30 most weeknights.

AX my very best wishes for your child.

JamesM Jan 19th 2023 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 13166879)
Had to give up drinking much at all from Oct '21 through to April '22 for a specific health-related issue. Lost about 35lbs, partly due to no booze, partly due to not eating much of anything. Once recovered from surgery I've been able to drink and eat more normally and sadly 25 of those lbs have mysteriously reappeared. So I'm trying to make a conscious effort to drink less & have a few alcohol-free days a week. Better than a supposed detox for a month just because it sounds cool. Also, I'm drinking a bit due to stress (kid with cancer, going through chemo) and thats not healthy so I'd like to change. We'll see how it goes.

You lost fat and put on muscle?