Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Another driving licence question

Another driving licence question

Old Jul 6th 2011, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

vancouverism has a spectacular aura aboutvancouverism has a spectacular aura aboutvancouverism has a spectacular aura about
Default Another driving licence question

I have been in BC for three years but have never bothered to get a BC licence (never needed to drive). Can I just go into ICBC to exchange my still valid UK licence for a BC one (and if so what questions do they ask)?

Thanks.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 4:10 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another driving licence question

Originally Posted by vancouverism
I have been in BC for three years but have never bothered to get a BC licence (never needed to drive). Can I just go into ICBC to exchange my still valid UK licence for a BC one (and if so what questions do they ask)?

Thanks.
You have to do this within 90 days or arriving. You will now likely have to take a test or go through the GLP. The first question is likely to be 'how long have you lived here'
You tell them three years, then they tell you you cannot exchange your license.

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...most-countries

Last edited by Aviator; Jul 6th 2011 at 4:13 am.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

vancouverism has a spectacular aura aboutvancouverism has a spectacular aura aboutvancouverism has a spectacular aura about

yes- that was sort of my fear. Anybody have any experience of not being asked this question or ICBC letting it slide (and no I won't just say that I arrived yesterday)
Old Jul 6th 2011, 4:33 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

yes- that was sort of my fear. Anybody have any experience of not being asked this question or ICBC letting it slide (and no I won't just say that I arrived yesterday)
I know people that just exchanged despite living here for a couple of years. I'd try and exchange it and plead ignorance if they say you can't.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

thanks-I'll give it a go- any idea on the questions? The only one I can seem to find is about the flashing green lights.

There must be others?
Old Jul 6th 2011, 4:46 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks-I'll give it a go- any idea on the questions? The only one I can seem to find is about the flashing green lights.

There must be others?
Dunno. I arrived before the swap and did the test.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 7:06 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

There must be others?
Q1 - What does a flashing green mean?

Q2 - When moving to pass a slower vehicle, do you
a, Pull out without signalling
b, Check your mirrors and just pull out anyway no matter what
c, All of the above

Q3 - When tailgating the vehicle in front, should you be no farther than:
a, 2 feet
b, 2 inches
c, touching
Old Jul 6th 2011, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold

I came before the swap too.....if u do end up taking a test here are a few pointers, I failed my first test and my husband failed twice.....

I failed for going to slow....(it makes me laugh every time) in England we are taught to drive to the conditions of the road, I was taken round an area where it had been raining, so there was glare on the road...and signs saying "slow deaf persons area" the speed limit was 40...so I sat at 35...she failed me for not doing 40....my fail form said too slow...and she actually told me that I should have done 40 round the "deaf person's area"

my husband failed for not reaching 100 k's at the top of the slip road going onto the expressway, he got to about 90 and merged into the traffic....you are apparently s'pose to be doing 100 when u reach the top, then slow down to merge with the traffic, his other fail was, he turned left onto a 2 laned one way street and didn't know it was one way...so he went straight over to the right lane....you are s'pose to stay left and then merge right when its safe to do so, he knew he was s'pose to stay left and merge over right on a 2 laned road...wot he didn't recognize was the one way arrow sign telling him it was a one way street!! hope this helps.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 2:57 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Q4 when using a mobile device whilst driving, do you

1) Put down your coffee and donuts to reach for the phone
2) Let go of the steering wheel and use your knees
3) Us your shoulder to hold the phone in place
Old Jul 6th 2011, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Obviously these brilliantly satirical answers are hilarious (maybe somebody could collate them all and publish them?) but if anybody has any genuine information that would also be welcome.

Thanks.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 5:57 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously these brilliantly satirical answers are hilarious (maybe somebody could collate them all and publish them?) but if anybody has any genuine information that would also be welcome.

Thanks.
Don't worry about the questions. They asked 3 and i didn't know 2, they helped me along.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Don't worry about the questions. They asked 3 and i didn't know 2, they helped me along.
One wonders if it is possible to fail anything in Canadia
Old Jul 6th 2011, 8:18 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
One wonders if it is possible to fail anything in Canadia
Emigrating?
Old Jul 6th 2011, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
Did you really think your question would be taken seriously and if you have not driven in 3 years in a foreign country then you really should take the tests and not try to get a swap just for your own safety aswell as for other road users.

Last edited by Gremmie; Jul 6th 2011 at 9:12 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

stacey.cook1 is an unknown quantity at this point

hey, we arrived nearly 2 years ago and waited over a year to buy a car, we were then prepared to go and take our test and were told we didn't need to and could take license to ICBC and get it swapped over. We did see the 90 days thing but thought we'd cross that bridge if/when we come to it. We did actually cross the border to extend visas within 90 days prior so this may have worked in our favour. But we were never 'asked' by ICBC.

Motoring questions we were asked:
*why are motorcyclists at more risk on the road?
*what should you do if you see the green lights flashing

The lady did have to do some prompting with a bit of sign language which was quite funny but was all OK.

I found it quite easy to start driving here, definitely helps having lived here for a while and getting used to being a passenger on the other side of the road. I think it would be much harder to arrive and go straight into driving IMO.

I say go and see what they say, can't hurt to try. and if that doesn't work, day trip to the states = $6, cheaper than re-taking your test!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.