Reload this Page >

Driving in the UK with a Canadian licence

Driving in the UK with a Canadian licence

Old Dec 31st 2020, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Lucyjane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving in the UK with a Canadian licence

Hello and help!
I surrendered my uk licence in april 2020 when i emigrated to Canada as a PR. I am a British Citizen, i still have ties in the UK with family and still have a UK passport.
I came over on 23rd December to see family and
i tried to get insured on my mums car as i was when i was here in February but been told as i have a canadian licence i cant.

obviously a hire car is costly.
just wondering if anyone had this issue before and how was it resolved?

i dont need any comments on my choice to be here during covid and travelling etc etc. Its a personal matter
Old Dec 31st 2020, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in the UK with a Canadian licence

Originally Posted by Lucyjane
Hello and help!
I surrendered my uk licence in april 2020 when i emigrated to Canada as a PR. I am a British Citizen, i still have ties in the UK with family and still have a UK passport.
I came over on 23rd December to see family and
i tried to get insured on my mums car as i was when i was here in February but been told as i have a canadian licence i cant.

obviously a hire car is costly.
just wondering if anyone had this issue before and how was it resolved?

i dont need any comments on my choice to be here during covid and travelling etc etc. Its a personal matter

It’s an issue that’s just changed over the last few years. Up until about five years ago, I could get added to my brother’s car insurance for a small supplement. That then changed for his company, and apparently most UK insurers - there are some that I hear still offer it but they are few and far between. Unfortunately the reputation of Canadian drivers isn’t good.

I’ve had to resort to hiring a car the last couple of visits as there doesn’t seem to be another option.
Old Dec 31st 2020, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Lucyjane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving in the UK with a Canadian licence

Thank you so much for such a quick response and kins too. Happy New Year