Driving for uber

Old Sep 23rd 2019, 3:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving for uber

Originally Posted by sid nv
If you have visited the US, you will have some idea of the food portion sizes here.
I have indeed visited the US. A client once ate a 32oz steak in front of me.
Old Sep 23rd 2019, 3:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Just be aware that you will need a commercial carriers insurance, your ordinary car insurance will NOT cover it, there have been a lot of bits on the internet about people geing stopped and prosecuted because of incorrect insurance
People are learning the hard way.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/working-an-ext...orth-1.4393999

In BC there is some work around if your doing it 6 or less days per calendar month you don't need to upgrade your insurance, but otherwise you do.
Old Sep 23rd 2019, 6:29 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
They have that here. The coffee shop guy told me that he was sending out a sandwich which cost $6, there was a delivery charge of $8 paid to the driver and an administration charge, paid to the agency of $6, so that's $20 before tip. I ate in.
I'm too cheap to pay for delivery, and if I pick up a pizza or whatever myself I can get it fresh out of the oven and home fastest while it's still hot.
Old Sep 23rd 2019, 6:37 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I'm too cheap to pay for delivery, and if I pick up a pizza or whatever myself I can get it fresh out of the oven and home fastest while it's still hot.
Did you know that weed delivery is also a thing? My Son introduced me to the "weed maps" app, I had no idea.
Old Sep 23rd 2019, 6:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Did you know that weed delivery is also a thing? My Son introduced me to the "weed maps" app, I had no idea.
Reliable weed delivery has been a thing for as long as I've known stoners here; around 1990 I guess. Many were worried that legalization would mean loss of convenience but it seems the legal supply doesn't compete with traditional sources.
Old Sep 23rd 2019, 6:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
Uber (and all the ride share companies) fail to fully advise you of the costs and obligations of working for them as a contractor.

You need to understand your costs, the extra vehicles costs are more than the gas, the extra mileage will increase your maintenance costs as well as add extra depreciation to the car.

Investigate your insurance policy, here in Manitoba you can only do Uber (or similar) for 4 days per month without added insurance costs.

To be able to claim a tax deduction you will have to keep detailed records of all your vehicle costs for the full year, you will need to keep separate records of business and private klms.

You will need to keep detailed records of your other costs, phone, internet , car washes, detailing after someone vomits in your car etc., to be able to claim a proportion of them against your sales.

You may need to register for GST and keep suitable records.

You will have to do your taxes as "self employed". As well as income tax, pension payments x 2 are also deducted from your income as you have to pay the employer part as well.

You will have to be very lucky to earn minimum wage per hour worked after expenses, often even before expenses, a lot of time is spent sitting in the car waiting and not earning.

Working in fast food will leave you with more in your pocket and a free meal, but it is way less interesting than doing Uber.

It can be fun, just make sure you do your research, Good Luck.
Fair enough. I don't think doing it 1-2 days a week for 4-5 hours will put that much extra wear on my vehicle that I don't already do by

a) 40km commute each way to work/school
b) driving around aimlessly because there's not much else to do where I live.
c) driving 200+kms to visit friends.

I'm honestly partly looking into it because I enjoy driving, so i'd enjoy it as a side gig. I don't really need the extra money so i'm not going to do fast food or anything else, its just more something to do that can bring in some extra dosh.
Originally Posted by Danny B
Do they have this service where you are? https://couriers.skipthedishes.com/application

It's basically driving to a variety of restaurants and fast food outlets, picking up the food they ordered, and then delivering it.
Yep, skip is here as well as ubereats.

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Just be aware that you will need a commercial carriers insurance, your ordinary car insurance will NOT cover it, there have been a lot of bits on the internet about people geing stopped and prosecuted because of incorrect insurance
Maybe in the US. In Ontario, Uber carries a commercial insurance policy underwritten by Intact insurance that covers you, you as the driver only have the obligation to inform your personal insurance provider you are participating in ridesharing. Some providers may choose to raise rates if you inform them, others (like Intact, belairdirect and aviva) include them as standard. Depends on the insurer as some of this is still new.

Originally Posted by sid nv
One of my part-time jobs is working as a driver for a food delivery service. The day before yesterday I took an order for a hefty double-course lunch to a customer located in an RV Park. I had to wait quite a while in the restaurant for the food to be cooked, and then had difficulty locating the van parking spot, so was a little late delivering and the customer seemed a bit miffed. He was sitting in the van behind a sliding side door which meant conducting a dialogue through a few inches of the opened sliding door. The guy remained seated, and is so grossly overweight I suspect he would have difficulty standing. Now in the interest of pot, kettle, black, I should disclose that I am overweight and the Quack has issued a warning for borderline diabetes. But my RV customer is in the premier league when it comes to fatties.
Then yesterday I receive an order for breakfast consisting of Biscuits and Gravy plus Hawaiian Breakfast (sausage, fried spam , eggs, etc) to go to the same address. When I get to the RV spot, the guy is actually standing to address a fellow park resident who happens to be out enjoying the beautiful morning air, as to where his food is. I deliver his breakfast and observe the front of his van is full of discarded takeaway food containers. This guy appears to be deliberately eating himself to death, and now I feel complicit in this endeavour. If you have visited the US, you will have some idea of the food portion sizes here.
Yeah, stuff like this is why i'd rather pick people up. With Uber its a 5 min wait and if they don't show you can move on to the next ride and the rider is charged a fee.

American portion sizes are disgusting... I can finish a normal Canadian size portion but not an American.
Old Sep 23rd 2019, 7:23 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I have indeed visited the US. A client once ate a 32oz steak in front of me.
Death By Cow

We stopped at a cafe on (I think) 5th Avenue, both ordered club sandwiches. Didn't realise they came with 6 inches of filling, a mound of coleslaw and an avalanche of fries. We could have split one and still had food left over.
Old Sep 23rd 2019, 7:30 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

They have that here. The coffee shop guy told me that he was sending out a sandwich which cost $6, there was a delivery charge of $8 paid to the driver and an administration charge, paid to the agency of $6, so that's $20 before tip. I ate in.
That's a high delivery charge. $3.50 is typical here. The tip defaults to 15% but you can adjust it.

But all you're doing is paying the tip that you'd pay in a restaurant to a different person. Getting to the food place and back would likely set you back more than the $3.50 and instead of that $7 beer or $3 coke, drink the same but much cheaper at home.

Where it falls down depends on your order not being as good to eat by the time it's delivered.

Originally Posted by caretaker
We're lucky to have a Chinese and and a Domino's a few minutes walk away. Domino's is great for half price pizzas

Old Sep 23rd 2019, 11:23 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

A work colleague was a UBER and a SKIP driver for a while whilst she was betweent jobs (her claim to fame is that she UBERED the Barenaked Ladies). She made more money doing SKIP. My daughters Boyf did UBER for a while in Ont, he stopped when he got a new car.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 12:06 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Double check with the insurance requirements.

In Manitoba you have to have additional Ride Share insurance.

In Manitoba UberEats (nor any of the food delivery companies) provide any insurance for the driver, they must have "local courier" coverage if they work more than 4 days in a month.

The big problem is in the gray areas:-

Uber cover you from Pick-up to Drop-Off, who is covering you from the last drop off to the next pick-up, technically you are working during this period off re-positioning.

You have dropped of your passenger, but now need to go and clean the vehicle due to passenger vomit and gas-up, who's insurance is covering you while you do this.

You are always liable, but the insurance companies involved will find every excuse to not pay out, and when you have 2 or more insurance companies involved you could find yourself mired in litigation for years.

It really is a mine-field and its why in Manitoba additional insurance in mandatory.

Last edited by MB-Realtor; Sep 25th 2019 at 12:10 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 12:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

In Manitoba UberEats (nor any of the food delivery companies) provide any insurance for the driver, they must have "local courier" coverage if they work more than 4 days in a month.

Uber cover you from Pick-up to Drop-Off, who is covering you from the last drop off to the next pick-up, technically you are working during this period off re-positioning.

You have dropped of your passenger, but now need to go and clean the vehicle due to passenger vomit and gas-up, who's insurance is covering you while you do this.

You are always liable, but the insurance companies involved will find every excuse to not pay out, and when you have 2 or more insurance companies involved you could find yourself mired in litigation for years.

It really is a mine-field and its why in Manitoba additional insurance in mandatory.
At the risk of seeming to defend an unpopular industry, the insurance companies have always shat themselves at the risks involved in "private hire", they'd sooner insure Suge Knight's trucks. They've been in the game a long time and it's a competitive industry, so one can reasonably suppose that, if they won't touch a risk, there's good reason. I haven't looked at Uber specifically but, in general, minicab drivers are rushing, they're paid more for fitting in more jobs, in cars clapped out by mini-cabbing and paying little attention because the passengers are vomiting, drinking/doing drugs, smoking, having sex or waving guns about. The driver tends to be distracted. If the companies offer a policy, of course it will have iron clad escape clauses in the same way as a life insurance policy for a parachutist.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 6:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

In BC they are still setting up ride hailing and none of the companies are operating yet, but BC is making the ride hailing companies buy blanket policies to cover drivers and passengers through ICBC. Ensures all ride hailing drivers and passengers are covered during the ride, and eliminates having to deal with individual drivers policies, the claims would all be made against the ride hailing companies policy.

Collision and comprehensive may have to be bought by the driver though if their ride hailing company doesn't buy it as it is optional.

From the time a driver accepts a ride and is enroute until the ride is ended in the app, the drivers personal policy wont be applicable.

Old Sep 25th 2019, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
In BC they are still setting up ride hailing and none of the companies are operating yet, but BC is making the ride hailing companies buy blanket policies to cover drivers and passengers through ICBC. Ensures all ride hailing drivers and passengers are covered during the ride, and eliminates having to deal with individual drivers policies, the claims would all be made against the ride hailing companies policy.

Collision and comprehensive may have to be bought by the driver though if their ride hailing company doesn't buy it as it is optional.

From the time a driver accepts a ride and is enroute until the ride is ended in the app, the drivers personal policy wont be applicable.
This is exactly how it works in Ontario.

https://www.uber.com/ca/en/drive/insurance/

It even covers the "in between" that Realtor was mentioning.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Just don’t run anybody over!

my son is a courier in Toronto and got knocked down today by an Uber driver. After hitting my son he mounted the curb and just about avoided a man and his little son.

The passenger in the Uber got out when the car stopped and shouted at the driver “you’re f***ing crazy” and ran off.

Police took a statement and we’ll have to see how it develops.

Son seems to be alright, just cuts and bruises...
Old Sep 26th 2019, 4:45 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Just don’t run anybody over!

my son is a courier in Toronto and got knocked down today by an Uber driver. After hitting my son he mounted the curb and just about avoided a man and his little son.

The passenger in the Uber got out when the car stopped and shouted at the driver “you’re f***ing crazy” and ran off.

Police took a statement and we’ll have to see how it develops.

Son seems to be alright, just cuts and bruises...

Oh no! So sorry to hear that - hope your son is ok - and that the idiot driving the uber gets the book thrown at him!

If your son is unable to work for a few days - and/or his bike is damaged, do put in a claim against the driver and his insurance.

Hope he's not too sore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.