Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Dr Henry Morgentaler, Order of Canada

Dr Henry Morgentaler, Order of Canada

Old Jul 8th 2008, 1:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dr Henry Morgentaler, Order of Canada

Originally Posted by iaink
Quinte may not be as multicultural as the GTA, but there is a healthy hyphenated population here, and support for the military is very strong here, in part of course because of the large Trenton base in our midst.

Hundreds of regular citizens still show up outside the base for repatriation ceremonies, come rain or shine.
I didn't say that there are no hyphenated supporters of the military, just that the whole "No Support for the Enemy" bumper sticker culture is prevelant among the unhyphenated. It's a strange thing to have American visitors think the local populace disturbingly militaristic.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 1:24 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think it's Cherry's jingoism and racism that makes him so popular. When he rails against the wimps from Europe and commends the Canadian farm boys that can take and deliver a punch he's appealing to the jingoism and simple mindedness of the unhyphenated population. His unwavering support for the troops is part of that redneck tradition.
I dunno if I entirely agree with the redneck-jingo comparison. The gas drillers I got pissed with in Wyoming a couple of months back were about as redneck as it comes. Their views on US military involvement in Iraq/Afghanistan were not those of Fox News.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 11:29 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting to see in the papers this morning that an opinion poll carried out gives Morgentaler's appointment a 65% approval rating. Even the catholic premier of Ontario has approved the move.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 1:36 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Interesting to see in the papers this morning that an opinion poll carried out gives Morgentaler's appointment a 65% approval rating. Even the catholic premier of Ontario has approved the move.
...and yet I saw on the news last night that a representative from an Ontario-based Catholic charity has taken it upon himself to return the medal awarded to its founder, who died in the 1980s. I think that's rather pathetic, and only serves to mark the organisation concerned as bigoted and vindictive - sadly, two epithets not as uncommon as they ought to be for religious charities of any denomination.