Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Dr Henry Morgentaler, Order of Canada

Dr Henry Morgentaler, Order of Canada

Old Jul 4th 2008, 2:21 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dr Henry Morgentaler, Order of Canada

In the winter I often pass anti-abortionists on the street waving placards and harassing the women attending the clinic across the road. I make the tiny effort to splash them with spray as I pass. I do so knowing that it's improbable that anyone will shoot at me or, indeed, that there will be any consequence. I think it's just something people from England should do, not having abortion on demand is the mark of a backward country and, though we may be transplanted, we should strive to support the same ideals here as we would at home.

Does Morgentaler deserve an award? Of course he does, he worked through the era of abortionists being shot. Should the award come from this government? I dunno about that, the Prime Minister is about as pro-choice as the Pope, there's some dodgy politics at work in this.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

NewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really nice

Originally Posted by iaink
But its his gong to do what he want with, even if it is just to make a shallow knee jerk political point. Dont really see any connection with christianity one way or the other myself.

------

I dont know if canada is set up the same as the UK, but in the UK there is no legal provision for people to return the "honour"..they are still on the list and can purchase replacement gongs for a nominal fee if they change their mind or need some fancy costume jewelry later on..
You are kidding, aren't you? Abortion and christianity .... "don't really see any connection" ... !!

It's worthwhile to have a look at the Order of Canada page.

http://www.gg.ca/honours/nat-ord/oc/oc-con_e.asp

Further down the page, it talks of the procedure for termination of appointment to the Order (which can be voluntarily given up, unlike the UK). By my reckoning he passes on ALL the criteria (criminal offence, official sanction by a professional body, significant departure from generally-recognized standards of public behaviour) used when people are stripped of the appointment (Eagleson, Ahenakew).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Removal...rder_of_Canada

Given the current state of opinion in Canada regarding abortion .....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortio...#Opinion_polls

.... I find the award to be politically driven and indefensible .... and I support what the guy has done!!

I can only imagine the fury of those who don't.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

pint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think it's just something people from England should do, not having abortion on demand is the mark of a backward country and, though we may be transplanted, we should strive to support the same ideals here as we would at home.
I'm not sure that I understand. I was under the impression Canada's abortion laws were more liberal the England's. Has there been a change in the laws in either country?
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:03 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pint princess
I'm not sure that I understand. I was under the impression Canada's abortion laws were more liberal the England's. Has there been a change in the laws in either country?
I think the point is that Canada's abortion laws are as they are largely because of Morgentaler's efforts.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I think the point is that Canada's abortion laws are as they are largely because of Morgentaler's efforts.
Indeed. Also that women attending clinics in Canada are bullied by religionists in a way I don't think happens in the UK.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:25 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Indeed. Also that women attending clinics in Canada are bullied by religionists in a way I don't think happens in the UK.
I thought those groups were under a court order to stay away from his clinics.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I thought those groups were under a court order to stay away from his clinics.
I believe so but suppose the one I pass often (at Parliament and Gerrard) isn't covered as, on rainy days, there's always a bunch of militant lunatics out there. I've long wondered why they don't picket on dry days, I suppose it's some sort of penance.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

dthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
What difference? Both are seemingly random. For example Walter Gretzky is also a member of the order of canada! Celine Dion, Shania Twain, Brian Adams, Leonard Cohen, all the members of Rush for gods sake
Anyone who has had the misfortune to suffer a Rush concert should be given an effin' VC.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 4th 2008, 2:47 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NewWorldMan

Given the current state of opinion in Canada regarding abortion .....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortio...#Opinion_polls

.... I find the award to be politically driven and indefensible .... and I support what the guy has done!!

I can only imagine the fury of those who don't.
Not sure what you mean by "the current state of opinion...". Every one of the opinion polls quoted in the Wikipedia article you reference has a majority (though sometimes not an outright majority, always a majority of those who expressed an opinion) in favour of a woman's right to choice. Even in the 2005 Environics poll for Life Canada (hardly a dispassionate observer) about legal protection for human life, the answer with the highest number of respondents was that life begins at birth.

Given Harper's obviously lukewarm comments on Morgentaler's award, I hardly think this can be said to have been politically driven. As Iaink and dbd have said, he's a guy [on edit, that's Morgentaler, not Harper!] who stood up for his beliefs in a woman's right to choice (and de facto for the rule of law), despite vitriolic attacks and threats of violence. A deserving recipient, IMHO.

OH, and I can also imagine the fury of those who don't support him. Let them be furious. It is unlikely to change the majority view, which is one of the unfortunate side-effects of living in a democracy.

Last edited by Oakvillian; Jul 4th 2008 at 2:48 pm. Reason: re-read it and thought I'd said Harper was a guy who stood up for his beliefs...
Old Jul 4th 2008, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

NewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really nice

I think a better way of describing it would be "Canada's abortion laws aren't as they aren't largely because of Morgentaler's efforts".

Canada has no abortion law. No abortion law whatsoever.

Maybe before we congratulate him for his efforts at striking down the previous law we should consider [SARCASM] his heroic efforts [/SARCASM] at furthering the discussion on a new law ..... unless of course, you feel that there should be no law whatsoever ..... like Morgenthaler ..... and unlike the vast majority of the Canadian people.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 6:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Canada has no abortion law. No abortion law whatsoever.
Quite rightly so, imo.

Here's a history of the legislative mess:

http://www.duhaime.org/LegalResource...in-Canada.aspx
Old Jul 4th 2008, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Not sure what you mean by "the current state of opinion...". Every one of the opinion polls quoted in the Wikipedia article you reference has a majority (though sometimes not an outright majority, always a majority of those who expressed an opinion) in favour of a woman's right to choice. Even in the 2005 Environics poll for Life Canada (hardly a dispassionate observer) about legal protection for human life, the answer with the highest number of respondents was that life begins at birth.
Should the Order of Canada be based on a referendum? My point was that the appointment of the award polarises opinion in Canada in a way that Geddy Lee's (two concerts, do I get a Purple Heart??) doesn't. The appointment of the award is seen as a direct "F**k you" to a huge (though not a majority) swathe of people in Canada. Miniority 'rights' is a two-edged sword.

Given Harper's obviously lukewarm comments on Morgentaler's award, I hardly think this can be said to have been politically driven.
Have a quick glance at the list of the other recipients and tell me that you sincerely think Harper has anything to do with the awards. When I say that it's politically driven, I'm talking about the other side of the spectrum.

Oh, and I can also imagine the fury of those who don't support him. Let them be furious. It is unlikely to change the majority view, which is one of the unfortunate side-effects of living in a democracy.
Again, I didn't think the Order of Canada simply reflected the majority view. I don't remember getting a vote. I think it lessens the award.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 6:48 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Should the Order of Canada be based on a referendum? My point was that the appointment of the award polarises opinion in Canada in a way that Geddy Lee's (two concerts, do I get a Purple Heart??) doesn't. The appointment of the award is seen as a direct "F**k you" to a huge (though not a majority) swathe of people in Canada. Miniority 'rights' is a two-edged sword.
I disagree wholeheartedly. The appointment of Dr Morgentaler to the Order is a recognition of the work he has done, and the contribution that work has made to the wellbeing of Canada and Canadians. How is that a "f**k you" to anybody except those who either disregard or seek to change the current legislation on abortion? It's not polarising opinion, it's simply letting anti-abortionists know that they've lost the debate and the rest of the world has moved on.

Have a quick glance at the list of the other recipients and tell me that you sincerely think Harper has anything to do with the awards. When I say that it's politically driven, I'm talking about the other side of the spectrum.
How could the Liberals or NDP have had anything to do with it? The OC is in the gift of the GG as recommended by the Advisory Council, which currently contains no serving politicians of any flavour.

Again, I didn't think the Order of Canada simply reflected the majority view. I don't remember getting a vote. I think it lessens the award.
Again, I didn't claim that it represented - or should represent -the majority view; the point I was making is that those complaining about his appointment do themselves a disservice, since their view is in a minority in Canada. I think what lessens the award is empty gestures such as that by Fr Lucien Larre, the Coquitlam priest who returned his in protest.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
How is that a "f**k you" to anybody except those who either disregard or seek to change the current legislation on abortion? It's not polarising opinion, it's simply letting anti-abortionists know that they've lost the debate and the rest of the world has moved on.
I agree. The appointment is politically driven. Not by any 'organised' political party, but certainly by a political 'movement'. Who is it who's doing the "letting"?

... the point I was making is that those complaining about his appointment do themselves a disservice, since their view is in a minority in Canada. ....
I must say that's an interesting view of politics you have there.

I think there are two strands of protest against the appointment. First of all, you have the anti-abortionists and Catholics/Christians who would argue that the Order of Canada should not be given to someone who is a mass-murderer in the eyes of millions of Canadians. Secondly, there are those, like myself, who acknowledge the feelings of the first group of people and express disbelief that their strongly-held views have been dismissed in such a fashion. They lost the debate and now their faces are being rubbed in it and I didn't think that was the purpose of the Order of Canada. I do now.
Old Jul 5th 2008, 12:54 am
Assimilated Pauper

First of all, you have the anti-abortionists and Catholics/Christians who would argue that the Order of Canada should not be given to someone who is a mass-murderer in the eyes of millions of Canadians. Secondly, there are those, like myself, who acknowledge the feelings of the first group of people and express disbelief that their strongly-held views have been dismissed in such a fashion.
I can't say that I view the Order of Canada as being a big deal but aren't you struggling to create two groups here? I can't imagine that there are people who are not anti-abortionists and yet bothered by this award. Do you, for example, count yourself as being pro-choice?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.