Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Dr Henry Morgentaler, Order of Canada

Dr Henry Morgentaler, Order of Canada

Old Jul 3rd 2008, 3:52 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dr Henry Morgentaler, Order of Canada

Discuss, with particular reference to the fact that Kylie Monogue has just been lobbed an OBE.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 4:00 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dr Henry Morgentaler, Order of Canada

At least he stood up for his beliefs and for the rights of others on what is an important and controversial issue.

Whether you agree with his position or not, you have to admire his courage and integrity in standing by his beliefs through thick and thin, and his determination in publicising and advancing his arguments. Remember, back in 1967 women had no right to an abortion under any circumstances, but naturally abortions still occured, all be it under horrifying back street conditions. I dont really see how anyone could argue that Canada is not now a better place for women having the choice.

When you cut away the politics and the controversy and the rhetoric, isn't it courageous people of integrity who should be held up as an example, isn't that the point of the Order of Canada, or the OBE come to that?

I'm sure Kylie must do "a lot of good work for charity" , but lets face it, who doesn't have an OBE nowadays? Have you seen the list....its enormous.

Last edited by iaink; Jul 3rd 2008 at 4:24 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 4:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I have no OBE. Perhaps I'd get one if I could make a connection between these two.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
I have no OBE. Perhaps I'd get one if I could make a connection between these two.
Don't tell me they missed you out again! Surely there's a category for "services to donkey bollocks"? Or horses' arses? Oh, hang on. Kylie got that one.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 4:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Don't tell me they missed you out again! Surely there's a category for "services to donkey bollocks"? Or horses' arses? Oh, hang on. Kylie got that one.
Is it that one is a famous surgeon and the other famously had surgery?
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
Is it that one is a famous surgeon and the other famously had surgery?
I'm not suggesting that there is any particular link. I'm just bemused as to the apparent differences in the criteria used to dish out gongs.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 4:45 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not suggesting that there is any particular link. I'm just bemused as to the apparent differences in the criteria used to dish out gongs.
What difference? Both are seemingly random. For example Walter Gretzky is also a member of the order of canada! Celine Dion, Shania Twain, Brian Adams, Leonard Cohen, all the members of Rush for gods sake

Last edited by iaink; Jul 3rd 2008 at 4:50 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 4:47 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently some senior church chappy has handed back his gong in protest at this Dr M's award.

Ahh, the sanctimonious scent of blind dogma...
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Apparently some senior church chappy has handed back his gong in protest at this Dr M's award.

Ahh, the sanctimonious scent of blind dogma...
Why would a professional god-botherer be given the OC?
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 4:52 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Why would a professional god-botherer be given the OC?
Give them to one side, you have to give them to the other.

Many "professional god botherers" do huge amounts of work for charity let us not forget. The profile for that particular god bother says
Stricken by polio, Father Larré taught himself to walk, completed university studies in theology, psychology, counseling, and teaching methods. He then became a priest. Love of humanity led him in 1970 to open the Bosco Home, a centre in Regina for the emotionally disturbed and for addicted adolescents, where he has succeeded beyond measure in restoring the lost to their rightful place in society.
Seems a worthy enough recipient to me??? Discuss

Last edited by iaink; Jul 3rd 2008 at 4:54 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 4:59 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Give them to one side, you have to give them to the other.

Many "professional god botherers" do huge amounts of work for charity let us not forget. The profile for that particular god bother says

Seems a worthy enough recipient to me??? Discuss
Agree.The criteria doesn't state you have to be right on to pick up a gong!
Ps love Kylie
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 5:12 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

If you accept a gong, in this case the Order of Canada, it is because the country has recognised the value to the country of the work you do.

Fr. L's work with disadvantaged children is no less recognised or appreciated by the country as a result of Dr. M's award, and in my opinion he is wrong, not to mention un-Christian, to return his award in this manner.

It is a national award, not a moral, ethical or spiritual award.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 5:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

If you accept a gong, in this case the Order of Canada, it is because the country has recognised the value to the country of the work you do.

Fr. L's work with disadvantaged children is no less recognised or appreciated by the country as a result of Dr. M's award, and in my opinion he is wrong, not to mention un-Christian, to return his award in this manner.

But its his gong to do what he want with, even if it is just to make a shallow knee jerk political point. Dont really see any connection with christianity one way or the other myself.

Didnt John Lennon return his MBE over something or other that has long since been forgotten? I dont see it as being any different. The government dished out gongs to bask in the reflected glory of the recipients, so its only fair that sometimes the gongs get returned in an attempt to show the government in the opposite light.

I dont know if canada is set up the same as the UK, but in the UK there is no legal provision for people to return the "honour"..they are still on the list and can purchase replacement gongs for a nominal fee if they change their mind or need some fancy costume jewelry later on..

Last edited by iaink; Jul 3rd 2008 at 5:23 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 5:21 pm

I accept iaink's point but your argument is much more in tune with my thinking.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:19 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Fr. Larre is not immune to controversy.

In 1992, a Saskatchewan jury convicted him on two counts of physically abusing children in his care at Bosco Homes and acquitted him on nine other charges.

Larre was sentenced to one day in jail and paid a $2,500 fine for one charge of common assault and one charge that he forced pills down the throat of a teenager to teach her a lesson about drug abuse.

The National Parole Board of Canada pardoned him five years later and erased the charges.

In 1998, Larre registered as a psychologist in B.C.

His work, however, has prompted a number of complaints to the B.C. College of Psychologists in recent years, court documents show.

There were no allegations of abuse, but individuals and other psychologists have questioned his methods and the quality of his work. Last November, the college held an extraordinary hearing and suspended his registration pending a disciplinary hearing because it felt he posed "an immediate risk to the public." The public, however, was never told of that at the time.

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/st...9-c4c3374d68c8

Although I find the whole idea of abortion very distressing I do think it should be available to women who want it. Like iaink I can't help but respect the principled stand Dr. Morgentaler has taken over the years. I think he is more deserving of his gong than the (apparently flawed) priest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.