Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Don't you just love your neighbours!!

Don't you just love your neighbours!!

Old Apr 4th 2012, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Keelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really nice
Default Re: Don't you just love your neighbours!!

Originally Posted by Tangram
They'll be used to the gunfire if they move to Dartmouth.
Nope not much gunfire here
Old Apr 4th 2012, 2:00 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
They'll be used to the gunfire if they move to Dartmouth.
Yes, I think about this on my way to work each day and there is guncrime in Dartmouth and some areas of Halifax but 99% of the time its not random. Those involved know each other and often drugs seem to be the reason. I am glad its not random, it was that kind of random knife crime that used to freak me out when we lived in the SE of England.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keelif
Yes we had the Military Police out. Nothing the chain of command can do other than back us in requesting a move and have his DO speak with him about his wifes behaviour. The housing is all dealt with by DE OPS Housing and first thing you have to do is write a formal letter of complaint to the correct Housing Office and then wait for a reply.

They will then investigate and issue the said neighbour with a warning of possible eviction if more complaints are made etc

Other than that we can put in a request to move to a different property but that again will take a couple of months.
Know all about DE...they can't even get maintenance right.

Another way...With proof:

I would take the issue to my RSM (a little camera video of the racket would help I am sure...same for DE with the complaint letter for that matter). My RSM phones/discusses sit with RSM connected to the other family...

RSM of unit of the other family...has the service culprit round for coffee. Job done.....unless things have changed, and drastically. More difficult when one party is deployed but phones and e-mail are still available.

That's the way I would play it if I was in your chain of command....The unit (s) still could and should play a roll.

We have the equivalent to DE also...but I would not hesitate skinning the cat with video evidence (corroboration with other neighbors that there really is a problem), another way. I would not hesitate to personally visit our DE types and get them to enforce clear wrongdoing....IAW the Married Quarter occupancy rules. I have mellowed though

Even without video evidence...I would still engage the unit...and you can't be the only family suffering these fools. Have other neighbors complained?

Or continue "to give peace a chance...."

Hope it all resolves...Best of British...
Old Apr 4th 2012, 2:04 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
...it was that kind of random knife crime that used to freak me out when we lived in the SE of England.
Were you the victim, or witness, or a random knife crime? I imagine that would put me on edge too
Old Apr 4th 2012, 2:08 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Were you the victim, or witness, or a random knife crime? I imagine that would put me on edge too
Nope but my friends son was, hes only 14. they wanted his mobile phone. And those lovely teens that used to shout F'ing see you next tuesday to each other whilst leaning on my new car outside my house in the middle of the night were the ones I am pleased to not see anymore!
Old Apr 4th 2012, 2:47 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
I saw a news report at the weekend about Aids and how Saskatchewan seems to be developing it's own strain. The camera was filming a guy sweeping up used needles and crap from a local park. I have never seen so many, what a dump! I would hate to live near there!

(sorry nothing to do with what you said, just thought I would mention it )
The snow melts and the needles from the winter are exposed. Even though north central Regina has a higher per-capita population of IV drug users than Vanvouver‘s lower east side, and lacks a safe injection site, the needle exchange program has been in place for so long I think the rate of HIV infection among them is substantialy lower. When I lived in the middle of the hood some kids rented the house next door and caused no end of grief with noise and partying and so on. Finally they moved on and a middle aged native man moved in. I saw a big box of needles behind the curtain in the kitchen window and assumed he was either an addict or the best prepared diabetic ever. The only wrong thing he did was borrow a gas can from me and not return it, but I didn‘t care because he was trying to make a little cash mowing lawns and I was impressed that he was at least trying. He was the best neighbor I had in about 6 years there.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 2:50 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Especially those not born here
And the ones that have never lived here.

Last edited by Oink; Apr 4th 2012 at 2:55 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 7:48 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Nope but my friends son was, hes only 14. they wanted his mobile phone. And those lovely teens that used to shout F'ing see you next tuesday to each other whilst leaning on my new car outside my house in the middle of the night were the ones I am pleased to not see anymore!
WOW! You have shattered my perception of Canada. I guess there is no escape, good luck.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 10:46 am
Happy

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
WOW! You have shattered my perception of Canada. I guess there is no escape, good luck.
That was in Horley, Surrey
Old Apr 8th 2012, 12:06 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

One thing we found in Canada is that when you have a big problem with neighbours then the local police are absolutely useless at resolving any problem and in fact just make it worse. Thankfully the chavs next to us moved on and the street is once again quiet.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 9:22 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

That was in Horley, Surrey
I need to read more carefully
Old Apr 8th 2012, 10:43 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
I need to read more carefully
It also happens in Canada