Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Don't you just love your neighbours!!

Don't you just love your neighbours!!

Old Apr 2nd 2012, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

Keelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really nice
Default Re: Don't you just love your neighbours!!

Its horrible when you feel intimidated in your own house.

Maybe we should have called the police earlier but we wanted to try and keep things as amicable as possible until that no longer became an option.

I have nothing against people that do live on council estates, its just people like my neighbours guests that unfortunately give them all a bad name.

Unfortunately the military housing here is well I'd say not exactly great on privacy. We have chicken wire seperating the back gardens instead of fences so it really is hard to hide from your neighbours in a row of terrace houses.

Luckily the family that lived the other side of the neighbour from hell moved out last month. Think they'd had enough
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Keelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really nice

Originally Posted by Boy d
Well of course it happens everywhere. If it was truly a one-off it would have been best just to right off the night after your attempts to speak with the neighbour failed.

The police here have more powers to deal with such a matter, and certainly more than one would show up, but other priority calls make it hit and miss what they could do.

I have seized stereo equipment in the past as evidence of mischief...but it was a slow night. Very effective at dealing with the problem, but one can only imagine the state of the relationship left between the neighbours.
She has regular parties when her husband is not there and unfortunately hes away a lot. Think she may have a slight drinking problem as her favourite past time appears to be sitting in her garden come rain or shine with a pint of wine (yes a pint) chain smoking.

We usually try and stay at friends or families to avoid any trouble but sometimes you just have enough...

Yes we were shocked it was just the one guy. Its quite dangerous really as if anything happened to him he'd have no one to call for backup. He was very nice though but like you said there powers are limited.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Howefamily
we had this kind of crap in the UK but so far have not encountered it. Our neighbours love to listen to loud music but they keep it down after 11pm and will ensure its blaring from inside in the summer rather than outside.
That with the distance between houses makes it something we dont really notice.

The only thing we have had that we didnt get was friends of the neighbour swimming in our pool at 3am - he was a little drunk and my only concern was dead bodies to deal with should something go a little wrong.

Different kind of people here - well in my neighbourhood for sure
Thats good to hear as its Nova Scotia we are looking at
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 2:11 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keelif
She has regular parties when her husband is not there and unfortunately hes away a lot. Think she may have a slight drinking problem as her favourite past time appears to be sitting in her garden come rain or shine with a pint of wine (yes a pint) chain smoking.

We usually try and stay at friends or families to avoid any trouble but sometimes you just have enough...

Yes we were shocked it was just the one guy. Its quite dangerous really as if anything happened to him he'd have no one to call for backup. He was very nice though but like you said there powers are limited.
So you live in the officers quarters then.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 2:12 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keelif
Thats good to hear as its Nova Scotia we are looking at
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oink
So you live in the officers quarters then.
Oh yes only the best for us
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 3:34 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

To put it succinctly. We do not have ASBOs in Canada.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 3:58 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Well that's a very loaded statement.

Are you implying that there is a gap in the legal sytem in Canada, or are you implying that there is no anti-social behaviour in Canada?
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I just think he is stating that the Canadian press do not report anti social behaviour like the British media do. ASBO is commonly used over there.
I think we have sufficient legislation to deal with unruly neighbours here in Canada.
Im not suggesting the Canadian media is better than the UK but we are a bit more polite in how we report such matters such as not using terms such as chavs, lager louts ASBOs etc etc.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 4:10 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
No, you have guns
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 4:14 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

it depends on where you live. my city has fairly strict noise control laws. my neighbours are great, but when they first met us, they were clearly nervous as we looked, to them, like partiers and they kept saying "we are very quiet people...we don't have parties...we like our sleep" haha.

Luckily we're geeks so they're safe.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

I'm not really sure the ASBO has much credence to it anyway. It doesn't seem to deter the people it is intended for. If anything it has become the opposite with it being worn as a badge of honour amongst some criminals.

They were on about getting rid of it at one point but not sure if its already happened, happening or the ideas been scrapped.

I have taken El Ricos advice from a previous post and generally try to avoid reading the papers these days lol
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 4:42 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
it depends on where you live. my city has fairly strict noise control laws. my neighbours are great, but when they first met us, they were clearly nervous as we looked, to them, like partiers and they kept saying "we are very quiet people...we don't have parties...we like our sleep" haha.

Luckily we're geeks so they're safe.
We haven't had any issues with noise at all other than the ****ing seagulls during the summer months and the dragon boaters grunting early in the morning. Then again, we didn't have any issues in the UK.

We did have the occasional gunshot here followed by sirens earlier in the year but that's quietened down now.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

If you live in an area that gets lots of Canada geese returning there is **** all the police or local authorities will be able to do
Time to park the car in the garage and avoid running into them on my way to work at 3am. Stoopid birds crossing main roads at that time in the morning or am I stoopid for accepting shift work?
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 5:51 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Well that's a very loaded statement.

Are you implying that there is a gap in the legal sytem in Canada, or are you implying that there is no anti-social behaviour in Canada?
What's loaded about it? As far as I'm aware it's true. I'm not implying anything. You either accept it as a fact and think what you may or do not believe it. I dont give a rat's ass. In all my years of living here I have never encountered unruly neighbours and neither have any of my family, many friends or acquaintances.
Of course I'm aware that there is anti-social behaviour in Canada. It just doesn't seem to be as developed as in UK, and long may that continue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.