British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Don't panic, don't panic (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/dont-panic-dont-panic-889115/)

BristolUK Dec 21st 2016 10:01 pm

Don't panic, don't panic

Anyone use the weather network website for their weather information?

Have you looked today?

They have alerts for storms, extreme cold etc.

But today they have this which I've never seen before.
https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca...nswick/moncton

It's just a test but look at the two attachments.

Do you have this for your area?

Siouxie Dec 22nd 2016 12:38 am

Re: Don't panic, don't panic

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12134386)
Anyone use the weather network website for their weather information?

Have you looked today?

They have alerts for storms, extreme cold etc.

But today they have this which I've never seen before.
https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca...nswick/moncton

It's just a test but look at the two attachments.

Do you have this for your area?

I don't know what you're seeing or what I'm supposed to look for! Ooops!

:D

Teaandtoday5 Dec 22nd 2016 1:09 am

Apparently your alert (whatever it was for) has expired. Hopefully you're ok? I was once driving when one of the tornado warning sirens came on the radio. I nearly crashed, although never saw any sign of a tornado. Am planning to drive to Ottawa and back tomorrow, so keep your fingers crossed for minimal snow :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:.

Stinkypup Dec 22nd 2016 1:12 am

I thought that it was about the rejoicing tobogganers- I just imagined that Bristol was going a bit soft in his old age :cool:

Teaandtoday5 Dec 22nd 2016 1:19 am

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 12134463)
I thought that it was about the rejoicing tobogganers- I just imagined that Bristol was going a bit soft in his old age :cool:

Pre-Canada the village sledging hill ended across a fairway and straight towards gorse bushes. Always risky.

dbd33 Dec 22nd 2016 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 (Post 12134462)
Apparently your alert (whatever it was for) has expired. Hopefully you're ok? I was once driving when one of the tornado warning sirens came on the radio. I nearly crashed, although never saw any sign of a tornado. Am planning to drive to Ottawa and back tomorrow, so keep your fingers crossed for minimal snow :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:.

I was driving along one afternoon when it all went dark. We got the National Weather Service on the radio and they said there were tornadoes nearby. They interviewed a woman who said she'd just climbed out of her shelter and counted her chickens. People in X County were advised to take shelter immediately but, of course, we didn't know which county we were in. Soon it was raining too hard to see so we stopped on the verge beneath an overpass. "The storm's gone purple" the man on the radio said, mysteriously. Accidentally, we had done the right thing, the tornado went by lifting up the cars nearby and tossing them about, we were stirred but not shaken.

I try to think of that when driving here at this time of year. Often I can't see forward at all so there's a great risk of collision, it's dangerous but not tornado dangerous.

MillieF Dec 22nd 2016 10:01 am

No I couldn't see what the others couldn't see either Bristol....but last night Fredericton interrupted all the television systems with loud beeps and multilingual
Announcements about what we should do in the event of dire emergency, it went on for a good half hour through all the programming....I wondered at the time if they knew something I didn't and if I should be worried:unsure:

Twitcher1958 Dec 22nd 2016 11:34 am

There were announcements here in Ontario yesterday, on TV and radio, saying there were tests of the system ongoing.

Atlantic Xpat Dec 22nd 2016 11:48 am

]

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 12134662)
No I couldn't see what the others couldn't see either Bristol....but last night Fredericton interrupted all the television systems with loud beeps and multilingual
Announcements about what we should do in the event of dire emergency, it went on for a good half hour through all the programming....I wondered at the time if they knew something I didn't and if I should be worried:unsure:

"This is the sound of the attack warning...."

BristolUK Dec 22nd 2016 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 12134662)
Announcements about what we should do in the event of dire emergency...

Yes, it's expired now. :(

One of the attachments was some sort of flashy symbol - which didn't suggest danger or anything - but the other was a recording repeating that it was a test but that it would be what was used in the event of emergency.

The thing is, these alerts with different levels of severity have been going the whole time I've lived in Canada. In addition there are regular articles in the paper and notices from various levels of government highlighting different emergency needs and keeping an emergency kit.

This just seemed something completely new, rather like one might expect when the security services had got wind of some terrible event but hadn't yet identified where it might take place. :eek:

Siouxie Dec 22nd 2016 4:42 pm

A Google search reveals all.

Alert Ready: Emergency Alert System

https://www.getprepared.gc.ca/index-en.aspx

https://www.emergencyinfobc.gov.bc.c...-alert-system/

caretaker Dec 22nd 2016 5:21 pm

Weather

Severe weather warnings or watches in effect for:
Bow Valley (Provincial Park)
Crowsnest
Canmore
Cardston
Claresholm
High River
Kananaskis (Nakiska Ridgetop)
Nordegg
Okotoks
Pincher Creek
Stavely
Waterton Park
Willow Creek (Provincial Park)

That's got to include Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump.

Novocastrian Dec 22nd 2016 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12134490)
They interviewed a woman who said she'd just climbed out of her shelter and counted her chickens.

Had they hatched?

dbd33 Dec 22nd 2016 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12134901)
Had they hatched?

She didn't say. She didn't even say if the count was correct. The interview stays with me for its pointlessness.

Novocastrian Dec 22nd 2016 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12134906)
She didn't say. She didn't even say if the count was correct. The interview stays with me for its pointlessness.

Indeed. Which end of the putative eggs were pointier do you think?