Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Don Cherry and curtain fabric

Don Cherry and curtain fabric

Old Nov 12th 2019, 2:37 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Don Cherry and curtain fabric

amidst all the furore over Don Cherry's nasty, bigoted remarks over the weekend (while the fact of his nastiness and bigotry can hardly have been surprise to anyone, the nature and fierceness of the backlash really gave the broadcaster no option but to sack him) I saw this Beaverton piece which kind of sums up my view of the bloated "personality" and his meaninglessness to increasing numbers of Canadians. Curtain-fabric and sofa chintz suppliers everywhere will be quaking in their boots as news circulates that the goatee'd oddity will no longer have an expense account for his custom suits:

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2019/11...coachs-corner/

What a knob.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 3:40 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don Cherry and curtain fabric

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
amidst all the furore over Don Cherry's nasty, bigoted remarks over the weekend (while the fact of his nastiness and bigotry can hardly have been surprise to anyone, the nature and fierceness of the backlash really gave the broadcaster no option but to sack him) I saw this Beaverton piece which kind of sums up my view of the bloated "personality" and his meaninglessness to increasing numbers of Canadians. Curtain-fabric and sofa chintz suppliers everywhere will be quaking in their boots as news circulates that the goatee'd oddity will no longer have an expense account for his custom suits:

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2019/11...coachs-corner/

What a knob.
Whilst I agree that he'sa knob, to be fair Fabricland has been going down for probably 20 years. People don't sew anymore and when the few that do want fabric they go somewhere with good selection and better quality. Whenever I go to visit family I make a trip to Ottawa St (Hamilton) and/or Len's Mill. I've also been known to make a trip across the border to Buffalo to the fabric shops there.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 3:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't sew but I do know that Fabricland is not the place to go in Vancouver for price or selection.....

I never cared for Don Cherry, always found him annoying.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 4:03 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

He's a **** and he should of retired, at least 30 years ago.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 6:33 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
He's a **** and he should of retired, at least 30 years ago.
Whether or not 30 years is true, he's stepped in it now. At 85 creeping senility is a fair call. Ron Maclean has apologised for not stopping him, and I wonder if this is going to take him down too. He's only 59 and very popular, but without Cherry he might not carry the spot, and no network will match what he's making now. I think there are retired coaches out there that can replace Cherry and keep the show going, or they can develop a new intermission show. They replaced the HNIC theme song; they can replace Coach's Corner.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 1:57 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Whilst I agree that he'sa knob, to be fair Fabricland has been going down for probably 20 years. People don't sew anymore and when the few that do want fabric they go somewhere with good selection and better quality. Whenever I go to visit family I make a trip to Ottawa St (Hamilton) and/or Len's Mill. I've also been known to make a trip across the border to Buffalo to the fabric shops there.
To be clear, The Beaverton is a satirical/spoof news site. To the best of my knowledge, Fabricland is not actually filing for bankruptcy protection. Don Cherry was renowned for wearing clothes made out of fabric more suited to curtains or furniture than to a TV "personality."
Old Nov 12th 2019, 2:09 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoyed the Beaverton quip.

Don Cherry deserved to be let go and as others have pointed out shouldn't have got this far in the first place.

He is 85 and has plenty of money. He was literally being paid a million dollars a year out of a lost sentiment.

Good riddance and hopefully Iced Hockey, a game dominated by angry white entitled canadians, uses this opportunity to start to arrest the regression the game sees year on year.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 2:15 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Iced Hockey, a game dominated by angry white entitled canadians
"A game of speed and fury, played by giants with feet of steel."

Old Nov 12th 2019, 2:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM

Good riddance and hopefully Iced Hockey, a game dominated by angry white entitled canadians, uses this opportunity to start to arrest the regression the game sees year on year.
I hope it doesn't. There are two people at work who play. They stink and they clutter the office with stuff that stinks. No one wants to say anything to them because it's their country and all but there are hundreds of people in the building who don't play and who mostly don't smell bad. We can't deodorise them because of the scent free policy. The iced hockey players are about as socially acceptable as the snot bubblers and the floor shitters.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 2:54 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
and the floor shitters.
People shit on the floor in Canada? Why?
Old Nov 12th 2019, 2:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
People shit on the floor in Canada? Why?
It's the how that interests me more than the why. Cubicles are not large so it's quite a gymnastic feat.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 3:19 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's the how that interests me more than the why. Cubicles are not large so it's quite a gymnastic feat.
I'm sure it must just be your work place though, if it was a national trait I'd have heard about it
Old Nov 12th 2019, 3:35 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Who is Don Cherry?
Old Nov 12th 2019, 3:42 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by dave_j
Who is Don Cherry?
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=don+cherry...onical&ia=news
Old Nov 12th 2019, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

What I find truly astonishing is not Don Cherry's casual racism (not uncommon for a person of his age), but the fact that many, many obviously young people on a Facebook group I follow (Leafs Nation) are outraged that Don Cherry has been fired and can see nothing wrong with what he said. Some 'he is only saying what we are thinking' and others saying 'what he meant to say was....' and ignoring what he ACTUALLY DID say (and clearly mean). Then of course attacking other with a contrary view as 'Liberals' and 'Snowflakes' and 'not patriotic Canadians' etc.

I confess that I watched this live with the rest of the game, but I zone out when DC goes on about anything that isn't hockey, but my wife spotted the reference immediately and was really angry 'that would include me because I am an immigrant as well'. She is already smarting at not getting a vote in the election as a mere PR.

Just when you start to think that maybe racism is starting to die out as the older generation moves on, you can see that it seems to be alive and active in the younger generation also. No one is born racist, it is a learned condition - where are they learning it from? It is sad and alarming and it seems to be on the rise worldwide.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.