Dogs and the cold

Old Nov 12th 2012, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dogs and the cold

Originally Posted by shunter1977
I shovel first but we've definitely had ice on the deck and steps, the kids have gone over a few times.

Yes they have a velcro strap and a long sort of elastic sock top but perhaps i'll try fastening then even tighter. Was going to return them for cheaper ones because if they're going to be a pain in the butt and keep coming off i'd rather have spent $25 instead of $65 for the privilege
Good God are they 65 bucks now?????
Old Nov 12th 2012, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

shunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by curleytops
Good God are they 65 bucks now?????
Yep sure are, crazy really, not that I mind if they work/stay on
Old Nov 12th 2012, 8:18 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Our dog is pretty resilient (springer/lab cross) although he does limp a bit when it gets down to -30. Last year I started to coat his pads with Vaseline before we went out for a walk. I also wash his paws off in warm water when we get back - I have to cross numerous streets to get to the local park and he picks up quite a bit of the salt/gritty stuff that they put on the roads.

The combination of Vaseline and washing seems to be working so far this year but it's early days! You can also get special balm but of course it's more expensive than Vaseline.

J
Old Nov 12th 2012, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

dollydee1 is a jewel in the roughdollydee1 is a jewel in the roughdollydee1 is a jewel in the roughdollydee1 is a jewel in the rough

Going through the same with my girl staffie/rhodesian ridgeback absolutely loving the snow however keeps holding her paws up to me as if to say mum my feet are sore, starting to coat paws with pan cooking spray and also have submerged paws in hot/tepid water on return from walks, seems to be doing the trick also vaseline as a coating is also reccomended, will be getting fitted out for boots however do not hold out much hope for her keeping them on typical staffie will probably eat them....
Old Nov 12th 2012, 8:34 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

So it seems the Brit dogs are finding hard to assimilate here? Poor things, and they haven't got the luxury of requesting to be taken back
Old Nov 14th 2012, 1:21 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

This is what used to happen to my dog (sadly now deceased) when she went out to play in the snow, she used to get these from her chin down to her tail - and everywhere in between. Bless her, she was so patient when I had to use a hair dryer on low to melt them

Snow balls anyone?
Attached Thumbnails Dogs and the cold-100_1289d-medium-.jpg  
Old Dec 7th 2012, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

dollydee1 is a jewel in the roughdollydee1 is a jewel in the roughdollydee1 is a jewel in the roughdollydee1 is a jewel in the rough
Unhappy Re: Dogs and the cold

good god boots it is....
Old Dec 7th 2012, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

If you guys think doggie boots are OTT, yesterday I came across a photo in my hometown newspaper, the Shields Gazette, of a couple of chow chows going for their walk in the snow, one of them was decked out in, I kid you not, a complete snowsuit! I suppose the dog could have been shaved for whatever reason and needed it but it was nonetheless an eye opener and very cute.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 9:16 am
BEd Enthusiast

cjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shunter1977
The last 3 days is the coldest we've had since we arrived 9 weeks ago. Our dog loves the snow and has been walking/playing in it happily but in the last few days the temps have dropped (this morning it's -25 and -34 with windchill).

Our dog can only manage about 2 minutes in the garden without limping so i've purchased coat and boots for her!!! Before I take her for a walk and look completely stupid to the locals - is it normal to need these things or do dogs just adapt to the cold? I cant imagine making her walk in this without protection but i've not seen one other dog wearing anything on their feet!
Maybe the kindest thing to do would be to have her put to sleep and get a more winterized dog locally. That said, if the idea of another dog so soon is unappealing, you could always get a hamster, they generally don't need walking and are more of an all-season pet.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 9:39 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjones
Maybe the kindest thing to do would be to have her put to sleep and get a more winterized dog locally. That said, if the idea of another dog so soon is unappealing, you could always get a hamster, they generally don't need walking and are more of an all-season pet.
Sorry, I just don't understand so called 'humour' like that.

Old Dec 7th 2012, 2:09 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
If you guys think doggie boots are OTT, yesterday I came across a photo in my hometown newspaper, the Shields Gazette, of a couple of chow chows going for their walk in the snow, one of them was decked out in, I kid you not, a complete snowsuit! I suppose the dog could have been shaved for whatever reason and needed it but it was nonetheless an eye opener and very cute.
A chow in a snow suit - stupid people. UNLESS of course they were rescues that had been shaved due to matting. Henry likes nothing more than snow bathing lol.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold

Now thats just not funny!! play nice !
Old Dec 8th 2012, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

That said, if the idea of another dog so soon is unappealing, you could always get a hamster, they generally don't need walking and are more of an all-season pet.
They do need to run and tend to hide in their nest all winter. Ours hangs off the bars at 11pm demanding to run in his ball.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
This is what used to happen to my dog (sadly now deceased) when she went out to play in the snow, she used to get these from her chin down to her tail - and everywhere in between. Bless her, she was so patient when I had to use a hair dryer on low to melt them

Snow balls anyone?
Mine gets the exact same look after a walk in the snow - doesn't bother him in the slightest unless he gets a large clump stuck between his toes, then he limps.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

perkinsgap is an unknown quantity at this point

MY Jack Russel wont even walk with booties on have tried many times even if i put a jacket on him he looks at me like to say you want me to go out looking like this lol he got used to the cold weather takes him a few days each winter to get used to it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.