Dogs

Old Jul 8th 2020, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dogs

Originally Posted by Alex2201
I probably should have mentioned it in my op but we have already chosen the dog. He is a Bassett Hound named Bennie.
​​​​​​
He looks awesome - is he your first basset hound?

We've got a basset and a beagle who are eagerly waiting on PR with us. The basset will run round growling when on Snow - so if that's a basset thing prepare to laugh yourself silly for 6 months of the year. Can't offer any Canadian specific advice, but saw it was a basset and had to comment

Old Jul 8th 2020, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
My daughter has literally just taken home an 8 week old Havanese ............... from the photos that I've seen he's as cute as a button, but she's going to have learn to groom him.

They have non-shedding coats, so the hairs just grow and grow and grow. If not shorn, the hairs will reach the ground. Grooming is very expensive!

Good dust sweeper upper, though

Her original thought 2 years ago was a silver labrador whose tail would have cleaned the coffee table, so maybe small is better ............... actually, their rooms are small-ish as the house is almost 90 years old, and the lab would have filled the whole space in front of the fire place!
I'll ever only have short haired dogs because of the grooming thing, our dog literally requires just a quick bath in the bath tub, hair is too short to ever need grooming, too short to mat or tangled, or anything getting stuck.

Just never get a dachshund if you can't deal with stubbornness or lack patience the breed requires a great deal of patience from the humans.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 10:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
Thanks Jsmth things being expensive in Canada? I don't believe it On the plus side I can't remember how cheap /expensive it was in the UK so hopefully that will take the sting off.

License!? He can't reach the pedals!
Our dog can't even get into the car without help, her legs are so short....

Key with vets I have found, ask around, find one you like and stick with one for all your needs, a vet you have a lasting relationship with is more likely to help you in an emergency and work out some sort of option if say your pet gets sick at 1am and you can't access funds because of the time of day and you have to decide quickly about options, sometimes the cheapest vet is not the best vet, I found that out the hard way once with a cat.

Charlee currently goes to a 24/7 animal hospital, they never close, and they don't charge emergency fees, so the price is the same at 3am as it would be at 3pm which came in handy once when she decided to get hurt at 3am.

Old Jul 8th 2020, 11:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Rather than insurance our dogs are on the vet's "wellness plan" which is essentially a year's worth of dog maintenance (annual exam, greyhound teeth cleaning, vaccinations, monthly pills, some other items) for a fixed price with a discount for uncovered services. It works out about 10% cheaper than the items individually and there's that discount you never want to use. In return the vet gets a guaranteed customer for the year. This may be worth asking about at your nearest 24 hour vet.
Old Jul 9th 2020, 12:34 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

We got a puppy earlier this year from a reputable breeder. We have a interest in showing her. We do not need a license as we live out of town. In town you do. Re pet insurance, we decided at $80 per month to not get it. Even though we used the complementary 6 week insurance against a uti that would have been 200 bucks.her wellness exam was 75 bucks her second shots 60 and her third 152 both those with nail trims. Puppy classes 129 through petsmart (quite impressed). Her 1st groom 80 bucks - looking for a new groomer as that's close to adult costs. The breeder paid for a chip and eye exam (entropian). She also supplied a puppy pack with leash harness toy's and food.
Old Jul 9th 2020, 2:43 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Oh...I am so in love with these puppies. PP you just have a teddy bear. Alex..I demand a cuddle!

An odd thing...have any of you found that breeds here tend to be a bit smaller than in Europe? I have a Cairn Terrier here but he is quite a bit bigger (and much thinner) than the other’s I have met. I have met a couple of Britons in the park with Labs and German Shepherds who have mentioned a difference in height?
Old Jul 9th 2020, 8:14 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I have a miniature poodle, he's my service dog. I never knew what great dogs poodles are until i got him, not at all like the spoiled, shaking , handbag dog versions you see. . He loves the snow, isn't fussed by the cold, he's not to impressed by this constant heat right now. They are intelligent and friendly, high prey drive so loves to chase balls, hes very fast.
We did have insurance but its too expensive, best to save the amount you'd spend on insurance.
Old Jul 9th 2020, 8:40 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I have a miniature poodle, he's my service dog. I never knew what great dogs poodles are until i got him, not at all like the spoiled, shaking , handbag dog versions you see. . He loves the snow, isn't fussed by the cold, he's not to impressed by this constant heat right now. They are intelligent and friendly, high prey drive so loves to chase balls, hes very fast.
We did have insurance but its too expensive, best to save the amount you'd spend on insurance.
Is he a picky eater?

We have a poodle mix and he is the fussiest dog we have ever owned when it comes to food.
Old Jul 9th 2020, 9:24 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Danny B
Is he a picky eater?

We have a poodle mix and he is the fussiest dog we have ever owned when it comes to food.
My step mom has a miniature poodle, and oh my is he picky, will only eat specific kinds of food, and will literally not eat otherwise, never seen a dog so picky.

Our dog is semi-picky but nothing like my step mom's poodle, my mom has a poodle mix and he is picky as well, wonder if its a breed trait.
Old Jul 9th 2020, 10:04 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

They need masks

Not really lol

just Make sure up to date jabs like Rabies is done
Old Jul 9th 2020, 10:12 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
My step mom has a miniature poodle, and oh my is he picky, will only eat specific kinds of food, and will literally not eat otherwise, never seen a dog so picky.

Our dog is semi-picky but nothing like my step mom's poodle, my mom has a poodle mix and he is picky as well, wonder if its a breed trait.
I wonder if it is a breed thing. There has been a few occasions where we switched food brands and he didn't eat for two days. I bought some expensive raw food a few weeks ago as a treat for him and the ungrateful bastard turned his nose up at it.

My bulldog inhales her food, no problem there.
Old Jul 9th 2020, 11:11 pm
Account Closed

I wonder if it is a breed thing. There has been a few occasions where we switched food brands and he didn't eat for two days. I bought some expensive raw food a few weeks ago as a treat for him and the ungrateful bastard turned his nose up at it.

My bulldog inhales her food, no problem there.
Our dog wont eat dry kibble, and she is picky with canned food, but she will eat some brands of canned food, but we feed her primarily raw, for a 10 pound dog raw is pretty on par with a high quality kibble, she primarily eats Primal, and Red Dog Blue Kat. The only meat she isn't fond of is rabbit, she will eat it, but you tell she is like wtf is this.
Old Jul 9th 2020, 11:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

My poodle cross ate anything, by the bucket load. Oats, beet pulp, cat food, small dead animals brought in by the cats, even the proper dog food given to him. Picky eating may be a poodle trait but they're not all like that.
Old Jul 10th 2020, 3:53 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Is he a picky eater?

​​​​​​
He was for a while and yes poodles will refuse to eat for a while if the food isn't to their liking. When he does refuse then I pick up the food bowl after 5 minutes.
He's actually quite food motivated which is good so I can use treats as rewards. When he gets a high value treat such as a Whimsie he will save it until the next day, usually he carries it round with him.
You just don't indulge a poodle's poodletude.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 6:22 pm
Tea Drinker

I just got this email from my vets. Is this fairly common where you are?

As British Columbia enters Phase 3 of the Covid-19 restart plan, vets name removed continues to restrict clinic admission and ask that upon arrival for your appointment you call from the parking lot to inform reception which parking stall you are in. A staff member will retrieve your pet and discussion with the veterinarian will be conducted via telephone. Our primary concern is for the health and safety of our clients as well as their pets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.