Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Does the recent rise in fuel tax give you another reason to leave Britain?

Does the recent rise in fuel tax give you another reason to leave Britain?

Old Sep 3rd 2009, 11:15 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Does the recent rise in fuel tax give you another reason to leave Britain?

Just out of interest - one more thing added a few days ago to the long list of how the government tries to trap us in to fill its exchequer while intl: fuel prices havent even risen recently. Thats in addition to the road tax we already pay each year which goes up in every new budget anyway. And now both the govt: and the opposition is talking about road financing for building new roads i.e. imposing toll tax on roads.

By the way I have been told that this new tax will successively increase year by year until 2013. Imagine the cost of filling yoru car then!
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 11:18 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does the recent rise in fuel tax give you another reason to leave Britain?

Originally Posted by Edo
Just out of interest - one more thing added a few days ago to the long list of how the government tries to trap us in to fill its exchequer while intl: fuel prices havent even risen recently. Thats in addition to the road tax we already pay each year which goes up in every new budget anyway. And now both the govt: and the opposition is talking about road financing for building new roads i.e. imposing toll tax on roads.

By the way I have been told that this new tax will successively increase year by year until 2013. Imagine the cost of filling yoru car then!
I have forgotten how it works in the UK - am I right in thinking that they set the new price for fuel at the Budget and then it comes into effect later in the year?
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 11:48 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does the recent rise in fuel tax give you another reason to leave Britain?

Originally Posted by Edo

Nope doesn't even blip on my radar for reasons for leaving.

Running a car doesn't look too much different cost wise when you compare UK and Canada.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:11 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Running a car doesn't look too much different cost wise when you compare UK and Canada.
eh? I thought the fuel was cheaper in Canada, and theres nothing called Road Tax or annual MOT.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
eh? I thought the fuel was cheaper in Canada, and theres nothing called Road Tax or annual MOT.
The distances are greater and the vehicles less efficient, that wipes out the difference in the price of petrol. Road tax is implemented via license plate stickers. The equivalent of the MOT is the Drive Clean program.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:19 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The distances are greater and the vehicles less efficient, that wipes out the difference in the price of petrol. Road tax is implemented via license plate stickers. The equivalent of the MOT is the Drive Clean program.
^^^
What dbd33 says.

I'd also add insurance premiums can be much more than UK as well.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
^^^
What dbd33 says.

I'd also add insurance premiums can be much more than UK as well.
And the cost of servicing, if you run a VW.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:22 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

I see. Well, these politicians just seem to be too good with copying ideas from other countries and giving them logical terminologies to dupe their people. In other words, to generate more REVENUE.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Edo
I see. Well, these politicians just seem to be too good with copying ideas from other countries and giving them logical terminologies to dupe their people. In other words, to generate more REVENUE.
They need REVENUE. It's what pays for SERVICES.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:37 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

They need REVENUE. It's what pays for SERVICES.
Is SERVICES a more polite word for BENEFITS?
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Edo
No.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 1:05 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
No, its clearing a shed load of snow off the roads every winter, and filling all the pot holes that creates in the summer

Anything you save on gas and road tax here is wiped out by the cost of insurance and the greater distances travelled Im afraid. New cars are cheaper to buy in general, but you pay sales tax on used vehicles, and the climate takes a heavy toll on vehicles here, so replacement is perhaps more frequent.

I cant imagine that fuel tax features high on anyones immigration radar, at least I dont think it should. Tax is a feature of life in any country, governments come and go, as do their tax regimes, but any changes are largely superficial because they all need revenue to pay for their programs, except the US who just seem to bankroll it on the defecit and pass the cost on to future generations

I will say that the drive clean program has very little in common with the MOT. A decent annual safety test would probably be a good idea here!

Making motoring more expensive is a successful environmental strategy, but would be political suicide here where outside of the few areas with a transit infrastructure we are all dependent on our cars. I still find it bizarre that my 1.8l Civic is regarded as one of the more efficient choices. I never had anything as large as that in the UK, but here its the smallest engine I've had yet, after a 4.0, then a 2.5!

Last edited by iaink; Sep 3rd 2009 at 1:39 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 1:12 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Edo
You might be grateful for those benefits one day. Especially in Canada where job security is a vague notion.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to all

Im with you Edo, government fuel duty and road fund licence in the UK is way over the top. Unfortunatley there is nothing we can do about it.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Diggler
Im with you Edo, government fuel duty and road fund licence in the UK is way over the top. Unfortunatley there is nothing we can do about it.

There is: you can vote for a party that agrees to lower taxes. Of course, a few years after they get in, you will be complaining about lack of funding for the NHS, schools, civil servants, lack of benefits etc.

You pays your money and takes your pick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.