Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Does the recent rise in fuel tax give you another reason to leave Britain?

Does the recent rise in fuel tax give you another reason to leave Britain?

Old Sep 3rd 2009, 8:12 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does the recent rise in fuel tax give you another reason to leave Britain?

Originally Posted by Miss Clinque
True what you say, my point is have the banks learned their lesson? because that kind of enticement makes me think it will be, here we go again, in a couple of years
They haven't no. But given recent events they clearly don't need to worry about risk any more.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 8:14 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does the recent rise in fuel tax give you another reason to leave Britain?

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Barclays didn't take any government bailout money.
I know, but it is still sending the wrong message isnt it? High streets in the UK look like ghost towns since the credit crunch, it just p's me off when I see things like that in the paper.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 8:24 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
It's not just about public transport though, its also about encouraging people to buy more fuel efficient cars, live closer to work, walk the 1/2mile to the shops rather than drive, car share and so on.
While more fuel efficient cars are an admirable goal, your other suggestions just aren't feasible for many people.

I mostly lived in rural locations in the UK, partly through choice, and partly through the unaffordable cost of urban property. The closest I ever lived to my job was 25 miles. Shopping always required a car, and public transport wasn't an option or available.

Raising taxes on fuel just puts a disproportionate burden on rural dwellers from my experience.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:17 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Raising taxes on fuel just puts a disproportionate burden on rural dwellers from my experience.
I somewhat agree. I'd like to see vehicle tax increased for city dwellers within the UK to alleviate burden on the people who live rurally where public transport isn't an option, and leave fuel prices alone.

Just a quick thought
Old Sep 4th 2009, 3:33 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
While more fuel efficient cars are an admirable goal, your other suggestions just aren't feasible for many people.

I mostly lived in rural locations in the UK, partly through choice, and partly through the unaffordable cost of urban property. The closest I ever lived to my job was 25 miles. Shopping always required a car, and public transport wasn't an option or available.

Then you can only do the fuel efficient car bit, the vast majority of the UK who live in cities and towns can also do the rest. You can of course try to ensure that you shop on the way home rather than making an extra trip and that you get enough at any one time to avoid extra trips.

People who live in the sticks get other advantages - you are paying the same road and fuel tax but getting a lot more tarmac miles usage for it, you pay the same post rates but it costs more to deliver in the boonies than in the cities, there are a whole range of services that cost more in the spread-out low population density country than they do in the cities.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Diggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
So will you vote for a low tax party at the next election then or will you do like most in the UK do, whine about it and not vote. Power of the electorate and all that. The country has the Government it deserves, having voted them in.

mmmmm, there is a reason people dont bother voting. Its not rocket science.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 10:36 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Clinque
True what you say, my point is have the banks learned their lesson?
Dont think so. Since we are starting to see 95% mortgages coming back and all those flashy new cars bought on financing coming out to the roads etc etc. The list will soon start to grow again with other 'amenities' being made available on loans to the general public whose incomes just simply cant support the paybacks. It was the free flow of credit that brought us here so I wonder what are the banks and government doing anything different this time that they didnt do before?
Old Sep 4th 2009, 10:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I've been to VT and NH. I haven't been to AK but one of my kids lived there for a year ending recently. They have shitty roads and even more guns than Canada. They suit belligerent loaners who are in good health.
Lots of folks in Alaska still need to hunt to survive if living outside southern Alaska. The place ain't cheap and food exspensive.

Then of course there are plenty of towns not accesible by road at all....

Its different in Alaska especially in small towns/citys.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 11:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Montana's another low services state.

I work in Rutland VT on and off, I suppose that's urban for VT. I think they have less services there than we do in rural Ontario. Neither has garbage pick up, for example, but we have quality ploughing.
Too bad BC can't learn how to have quality snow removal, sometimes they dont even plow at all. (Lower mainland of BC)

But then the politicians do nothing but whine about how much it costs to remove snow, duh its kinda essential.

My winter in Edmonton was the same, they didn't really know how to plow either.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 11:48 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
My winter in Edmonton was the same, they didn't really know how to plow either.
That surprises me. Out here in the sticks I know if there's been a heavy snowfall overnight because I hear the plough at 4:00am. They do a very good job on the roads even if they do dump it all in the driveway.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Diggler
mmmmm, there is a reason people dont bother voting. Its not rocket science.
Too lazy? Too illiterate? Too easy to sit on their ar$e and blame everybody else for the situation they find themselves in?

I fail to see how not voting helps the situation if one is sick to death with the incumbent.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 1:38 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Too lazy? Too illiterate? Too easy to sit on their ar$e and blame everybody else for the situation they find themselves in?

I fail to see how not voting helps the situation if one is sick to death with the incumbent.
In general I agree with you, but it really depends if the alternative is any more inspiring.

Im not inspired at present, I really hope there is not an election.

Maybe we can organise a boycot They could call an election and then find that no one but the candidates casts a vote
Old Sep 4th 2009, 1:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
In general I agree with you, but it really depends if the alternative is any more inspiring.

Im not inspired at present, I really hope there is not an election.

Maybe we can organise a boycot They could call an election and then find that no one but the candidates casts a vote
Are you talking Canada or the UK here?

If it's the UK, I really don't care.

If Canada, there will not be an election. Can anybody really tell me what, other than the stupid EI fiasco, separates Liberals from PCs on issues that people will be concerned enough about to actually vote. If Iggy forces an election, it will be the end of him.

I don't know how accurate this is but it caught my attention earlier this week: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/th...761/story.html
Old Sep 4th 2009, 1:56 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Are you talking Canada or the UK here?

If it's the UK, I really don't care.

If Canada, there will not be an election. Can anybody really tell me what, other than the stupid EI fiasco, separates Liberals from PCs on issues that people will be concerned enough about to actually vote. If Iggy forces an election, it will be the end of him.

I don't know how accurate this is but it caught my attention earlier this week: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/th...761/story.html
Agreed. If the Libs bring down the govt over the second half of the finance bill (the bit with the home reno tax credit in it), Iggy can shout til he's blue in the face that the Libs would reintroduce it when they form the next govt, but nobody would listen. Harper would have a perfect single-issue campaign to fight - "the Liberals want to take away your $10,000 tax rebate."

Never mind that the rebate is the tax on $10k, never mind that the Tories have delayed putting the Bill before parliament just so that they can manouevre themselves into this position, never mind that the Liberals have already said they support the measure: if the government falls over a confidence motion on the budget, Harper will be returned with more MPs, possibly even a majority.

Ignatieff can't be that stupid, can he?
Old Sep 4th 2009, 1:57 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Canada..was it not obvious. I could not care less about the UK to be honest.

I hope you are right, to me it makes no sense either. I doubt the liberals have the necessary funds to fight an effective election anyway, and with the polls even neither side is likely to win a majority, which would be a poor showing and threaten the political future of both Ignatief and Harper, so I dont understand all the sabre rattling and brinksmanship.

Why would either of them want to be seen as the leader that triggers what appears to be a universally unwanted election? Puts you in the hole right from day one.

I think there is much truth in the article Make the NDP and BQ prop up the conservatives so the liberals can distance themselves from current policy, and then be in a better position to fight an election when the numbers are more in their favour.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 4th 2009 at 2:06 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.