Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Does the recent rise in fuel tax give you another reason to leave Britain?

Does the recent rise in fuel tax give you another reason to leave Britain?

Old Sep 3rd 2009, 1:45 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does the recent rise in fuel tax give you another reason to leave Britain?

since our fuel here is 67p in the £ tax another 2p is nto going to make a huge difference here. ( i use www.petrolprices.com for up to date cheapest fuel in my area) its one of the many niggly little annoyances that we put up with as we have no other option. but not the main reason we want out of blighty.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 1:57 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does the recent rise in fuel tax give you another reason to leave Britain?

It makes laugh when people say fues is much cheaper here - yeah of course it is IF your earning pounds. But we earn dollars, it takes more dollars to fill a safe feeling vehicle here than it does take pounds to fill a little petrol efficient car in the uk. I believe fuel in the UK is about 1.05, we are lucky here that the rates go up and down but this also means that one day you could pay 93 cents and another (when you actually need the stuff) 1.12. I wouldn't consider is a reason to leave the UK, if you want the convenience of driving then you have to pay whatever to be able to drive.

Both hubby and I enjoy classic cars and with all these moves to green power,(which is good) we can see in years to come that we won't be able to run these cars as there won't be petrol as we know it. I also don't like the sound of these electric cars and I never want my hubby working on them, just too dangerous.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 2:07 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
It makes laugh when people say fues is much cheaper here - yeah of course it is IF your earning pounds. But we earn dollars, it takes more dollars to fill a safe feeling vehicle here than it does take pounds to fill a little petrol efficient car in the uk. .

With any luck at all you should be earning a lot more dollars then you were pounds, so its a bit of an odd argument If you were earning say 40k GBP and are only getting $40k here then there is a larger problem beyond gas prices alone.

What is "safe feeling" anyway? I feel perfectly safe in my Civic with all its aribags and 5* ratings...In fact I'd feel less safe in 2 tons of Suburban with all that momentum and trucky steering and handling...

Last edited by iaink; Sep 3rd 2009 at 2:09 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 2:19 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Anybody who chooses to emigrate to Canada over the levels of taxation in the UK should fail the 'too dumb to be allowed into the country test' which I, for one, believe should be part of the immigration process.

Gas is cheaper here but probably much on a par with UK when salaries, the massive inefficiency of many vehicles and driving distances are taken into account. Road tax is payable annually (at least in this province), insurance costs could be five times those of UK for the new immigrant and when you buy a USED car you have to pay Tax on it every time it is resold. In short, we pay tax here too.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

sparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud of

I'm looking forward to the lower fuel costs in Canada - but not the more expensive insurance premiums.

I live in the country in the North of England and I'm hoping to live in the city in Canada and avoid the expense of having two cars on the road and commuting. Ideally, I'd love to be able to take the bus or walk to work, to save having to shovel the snow in winter.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 2:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparkling_gal
Ideally, I'd love to be able to take the bus or walk to work, to save having to shovel the snow in winter.
You still have to shovel the pavement outside your house. Consider that when looking at a corner lot.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 2:30 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Edo
eh? I thought the fuel was cheaper in Canada, and theres nothing called Road Tax or annual MOT.
There is car insurance though, and they really sting you on that.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
There is: you can vote for a party that agrees to lower taxes. Of course, a few years after they get in, you will be complaining about lack of funding for the NHS, schools, civil servants, lack of benefits etc.

You pays your money and takes your pick

Bollox.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Diggler
Bollox.
Care to elaborate
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 2:47 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
With any luck at all you should be earning a lot more dollars then you were pounds, so its a bit of an odd argument If you were earning say 40k GBP and are only getting $40k here then there is a larger problem beyond gas prices alone.

I only work part time here and yes while I earn more dollars per hour than I did pounds, those dollars have to go further a pound will buy for example a loaf of pre packaged bread, a dollar will buy a 1/3rd of that loaf.

What is "safe feeling" anyway? I feel perfectly safe in my Civic with all its aribags and 5* ratings...In fact I'd feel less safe in 2 tons of Suburban with all that momentum and trucky steering and handling...
I Should say 'percieved safe feeling' I felt safe enough in town in my PT cruiser all year round, I wouldn't have driven it to the moutains though. I feel safe enough in town and on the smaller highways in the fair weather in my Spitfire, there is no hope on earth will I drive it in the snow and I will avoid highway two with it. Now again I think it would also be different in Calgary/Edmonton where there are noticibly far more cars to SUV's on the road, where as here in redneck town, the biggest stupidest lifted truck is the flavour of the day, so having a SUV/truck is ideal because you have a higher visibility and can see what is comming at you, so you have a better chance of reacting. They are my safe feelings. I used to feel safe on a motorbike - I don't anymore.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to all

Care to elaborate
I dont mind paying fair taxes for fair services in return, but duty on petrol is getting silly. Another example of the government hitting an easy target, middle England, in the balls.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 2:50 pm

There is: you can vote for a party that agrees to lower taxes. Of course, a few years after they get in, you will be complaining about lack of funding for the NHS, schools, civil servants, lack of benefits etc.

You pays your money and takes your pick
They dont spend the taxes on schools, NHS, hospitals ect. They spend it more recently on bailing banks out, and I see to day that Barclays are trying to entice 5 commodities trades to join them in a 30 million pay and bonus package!! - Tax payer's money well spent?
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Diggler
I dont mind paying fair taxes for fair services in return, but duty on petrol is getting silly. Another example of the government hitting an easy target, middle England, in the balls.
Not just middle England though is it. My daughter is a district nurse in the UK and this really stings her pocket.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 2:56 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Isnt the point to DISCOURAGE petrol usage as part of a wider strategy to limit carbon dioxide emmisions?

Isnt that goal rather essential to the prolonged occupation of the earth by humanity?

Wouldnt it be a good idea for north america to do something about that too?

Haven't carbon taxes been mooted as perhaps the most likely way to wean modern society away from its oil addiction?

Aren't people complaining about the additional cost rather missing the point?
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iaink
Isnt the point to DISCOURAGE petrol usage as part of a wider strategy to limit carbon dioxide emmisions?

Isnt that goal rather essential to the prolonged occupation of the earth by humanity?

Wouldnt it be a good idea for north america to do something about that too?

Haven't carbon taxes been mooted as perhaps the most likely way to wean modern society away from its oil addiction?

Aren't people complaining about the additional cost rather missing the point?

Yes but unfortunatley, we have to make ends meet before my childrens childrens childrens planet is destroyed. Call me selfish..... besides, the long term damage was well and truly done years ago and is irreversible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.