Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Does anyone ever feel ill in large stores?

Does anyone ever feel ill in large stores?

Old Mar 29th 2009, 5:07 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone ever feel ill in large stores?

Originally Posted by Edna Bucket
Do you also suffer from motion sickness? It's the gene then.
My husband does - oooh! He turned a lovely shade of green on the Euro tunnel
Old Mar 29th 2009, 6:50 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I only feel ill when my OH goes to large stores, or any store for that matter - The anticipation of what gadget we did not know we even needed until she went shopping and we're going to use once, store in the cupboard for 5 years before giving it to the charity shop.

If in the rare event I go shopping, I just quit when I've had enough, what I didn't get can wait until another day.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

Monkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
We were in Target just the other day and my husband said 'The lights in here are funny.' We came out and he already had a headache He's still got a headache two days later - it comes and goes but it was the flipping lighting in Target that sent him off on this round of headaches. It's OK though he's had a haircut and all should be well again in a bit.
Piff Poff, that's made me think! We were in the US last Saturday and must have spent about 3/4 of an hour in Target. I did think the lighting was terribly stark. On the journey home I got the worst headache I've had in ages and it lasted 2 days! I didn't correlate the two til now.

(Not that it would stop me going back right enough. We got 2 gorgeous lamps for $20 each ...hmmm.)

Large UK stores ..urgh. When I was back at Christmas I was in a Tesco with my Mum and practically had to hold her hand from the fright. It was so busy, full of screaming kids and grumpy chavs having trolley rage. What a culture shock. (At least you can pick up alcohol in supermarkets there ...was nearly quaffing it right there and then to calm the nerves! )
Old Mar 30th 2009, 1:06 am
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Do you have red hair?
No.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 1:22 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

No.
None at all?
Old Mar 30th 2009, 1:41 am

seaham gal is an unknown quantity at this point

It was so busy, full of screaming kids and grumpy chavs having trolley rage.

I remember before we came to Canada, our daughter came back home to the UK visit us. I parked up outside Morrisons supermarket and I went in for a few things leaving her in the car, right outside the entrance.

When I got back she said "I can't believe how aggressive people are here now - arguing, screaming at the kids etc. It's just not like that in BC".

Of course I hadn't noticed anything at all - it was normal to me.Now that I live here - the differences in behavoiurs is so obvious
Old Mar 30th 2009, 4:06 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Monkey Puzzle
Piff Poff, that's made me think! We were in the US last Saturday and must have spent about 3/4 of an hour in Target. I did think the lighting was terribly stark. On the journey home I got the worst headache I've had in ages and it lasted 2 days! I didn't correlate the two til now.

(Not that it would stop me going back right enough. We got 2 gorgeous lamps for $20 each ...hmmm.)

Large UK stores ..urgh. When I was back at Christmas I was in a Tesco with my Mum and practically had to hold her hand from the fright. It was so busy, full of screaming kids and grumpy chavs having trolley rage. What a culture shock. (At least you can pick up alcohol in supermarkets there ...was nearly quaffing it right there and then to calm the nerves! )

I think I'll make hubby wear sunglasses next time we go in there - thanks to the lighting we didn't spend much in that store but we certainly made up for it in a few others
Old Mar 30th 2009, 10:18 pm
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
None at all?
No
Old Mar 31st 2009, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Largo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Edna Bucket;7430522]Morwenna and Piff Poff - I'm sure it's something to do with the lights. I also have problems with ceiling light/fans and have to get outside quickly. Oh well, it saves me from spending too much. [/QUOTE]

I think it is a problem with fluorescent lights.In my work place I had nausea, dizziness and light headedness, particularly if I had to work in a room without windows to daylight. Initially, I thought it was because the fluorescent bar lights flickered so much.I put up with a lot of ridicule from my co-workers.

After retiring, I had no problem, except when I visited stores and malls with fluorescent lighting. When I need to go to a mall or store with such lighting, I get in and out as fast as I can.

With the fairly recent drive for energy efficiency, and the ensuing support for fluorescent light bulbs to replace the older, less efficient incadescent bulbs, I decided to try them again, thinking that they would have been improved. I changed all the light bulbs in the house to fluorescent. Within a very short time I began having all the old symptoms, nausea, dizziness, lightheadedness and headaches. I therefore, changed them all back again to incadescent -- no problems.
I am concerned because in this province , incadescent bulbs will be 'outlawed' within a short time. My only option is to stock-pile them.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 1:03 am
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

Canadian Superstore is the worst, I nearly always feel as though I'm going to faint if I hang around in there.

OMG....thought it was just me!!!

had this experience today in said store...never been in one before, so thought i'd take a nosey......could not wait to leave; felt completly over whelmed, nausious and slighty 'anxiety attack'!!!!.....soooooo not going back in any hurry.....
Old Mar 31st 2009, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

Probably around 4 years ago in the Fairview Mall the heating was on too high and I felt ill and then had a horrible sickness bug, headaches, high temperature that lasted about a week.

Air conditioning/Heating if it isn't right can affect me quite bad, I have to be careful.

When I was pregnant I found most malls just too hot, and if I ever went to the Bay at the Eaton Centre I could only attempt 1 floor whenever I went as I felt pretty bad.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

Canadian Superstore is the worst, I nearly always feel as though I'm going to faint if I hang around in there.
Yup, the Co-op next to where I work and Superstore.... I always feel rough after about 10 mins.

I'm not normally the type to get sickness either....

Think it's a combination of Lighting, crap ventilation, and frustrating staff/punters/layout/line-ups/etc......
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

moosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud of

Yep, the lights make me dizzy and nauseous and the floorings make my back hurt even if i am wearing flats or trainers, so internet shopping is the best plus NO QUEUES WOO HOO
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 9:06 pm
riding the saltchuck

Originally Posted by moosey2canada
Yep, the lights make me dizzy and nauseous and the floorings make my back hurt even if i am wearing flats or trainers, so internet shopping is the best plus NO QUEUES WOO HOO
I really miss Tesco.com
Old Apr 4th 2009, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

moosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud of

I really miss Tesco.com
I love tesco.com ! the sheer luxury of having the shopping delivered - bliss! I often wonder how we all lived before the internet rocked our world and brought everything within a mouse click, I am also partial to play.com
and asos