Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Dodgy email from bank

Dodgy email from bank

Old Jul 16th 2018, 11:07 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dodgy email from bank

This is worth a thread of its own.

Have a look at post number 10

Today I got this email.
Hi,My name is Tina who investigated fraud transactions with ( the bank). I have attached safeguard steps in this email for your convenience.
Thank you for your co-operation.
Regards
Tina Bhoi Investigator – Identity Theft Client Fraud Support Fraud Management
In the subject line is my name and the bank card number.

I thought, well it looks unprofessional, there's an attachment and not only is my name there, so is the card number. In the subject line. Pretty dodgy looking right?

I forwarded it to the bank's Fraud department via the website page and apparently it's genuine. Having told them my name and real number was in the subject line, they said they hadn't added a phone number. I didn't mean the phone number says I, the subject line contained the bank card number.

We're advised not to put personal details like names and numbers in emails and there's the bank, fraud department no less, putting my name and card number in the actual subject line where, I'd guess, it's likely to come to the attention of a scamming scanner more readily than in the body of an email.

Anyone have any dodgy email examples, especially if they turned out genuine?
Old Jul 16th 2018, 11:15 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dodgy email from bank

Originally Posted by BristolUK
This is worth a thread of its own.

Have a look at post number 10

Today I got this email.
In the subject line is my name and the bank card number.

I thought, well it looks unprofessional, there's an attachment and not only is my name there, so is the card number. In the subject line. Pretty dodgy looking right?

I forwarded it to the bank's Fraud department via the website page and apparently it's genuine. Having told them my name and real number was in the subject line, they said they hadn't added a phone number. I didn't mean the phone number says I, the subject line contained the bank card number.

We're advised not to put personal details like names and numbers in emails and there's the bank, fraud department no less, putting my name and card number in the actual subject line where, I'd guess, it's likely to come to the attention of a scamming scanner more readily than in the body of an email.

Anyone have any dodgy email examples, especially if they turned out genuine?
I'd be bloody furious.
And Tina needs sacking, if not for her tortured syntax then for her ridiculous job title.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 11:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Not an email but a phone call.

Not long after we moved to Canada I decided to apply for a Canadian credit card. We have had a joint one in hubby’s name for years but I wanted to apply for a joint CC in my name. After a few months a guy called from the CC company asking for personal details regarding my husband. I refused and he gave me a number to call to verify that he was genuine. I didn’t call that number but the one I had for the CC company. Turned out he did work for the company...so I gave them a piece of my mind and instructed them to close my account. We all know not to give out personal details to anyone claiming to be from banks/revenue/CC companies...so what the hell were they playing at?
Old Jul 17th 2018, 12:43 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Change your bank and tell them why. At least change your card number
Old Jul 17th 2018, 1:27 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Change your bank and tell them why. At least change your card number
That's already done. Sign in details changed too. Maybe they think it's okay because it's the now dead number they put there.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 4:46 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Not me but a family member - received a phone call purporting to be from Canada Revenue 'collections', demanding a payment. They had their name and birthdate and asked them to confirm their address and SI Number - they wanted them to pay by credit or debit card over the phone and said failure to pay could result in court action. They wouldn't give a name or a phone number for verification - so they reported them to the fraud line. (Yet according to information available online, Revenue Canada will never ask for that information!)
Turned out it was genuine - but they refused to pay unless they got an official letter requesting the payment (none had been received, despite Revenue stating they had been sent) and tore them off a strip for doing it in the way they did, when there are so many telephone scams around! https://loanscanada.ca/news/scam-ale...ue-agency-cra/
They did receive a letter after, and an apology.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 17th 2018 at 4:49 am.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 6:07 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

On a semi-related point, I do find my new mobile's "finger-scan" access to online banking/cards much more convenient than I expected.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 2:04 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Shard
On a semi-related point, I do find my new mobile's "finger-scan" access to online banking/cards much more convenient than I expected.
What happens if you lose the finger in an accident?
Old Jul 17th 2018, 4:35 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
What happens if you lose the finger in an accident?
​​​​​​Yes especially if it's a Tony Soprano type "accident"...
Old Jul 17th 2018, 6:47 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard

Beware of strange people carrying sharp implements! Yikes!