Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Dodgy drivers by type of car - Canadian edition

Dodgy drivers by type of car - Canadian edition

Old Sep 26th 2019, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dodgy drivers by type of car - Canadian edition

Originally Posted by DandNHill

Just swapped my GMC Acadia for an Audi Q5. Hope that’s ok?

Aaaarrgghhhhh! What's the car after that, a Subaru Impreza??!

Old Sep 26th 2019, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
They haven't invented it yet...
Old Sep 26th 2019, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
When you get a Subaru Impreza the licence plate will turn green.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ar-of-vermont/
Old Sep 26th 2019, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I much prefer driving stick, make husbands job of finding me a car I like much harder lol
My B-I-L who sells cars for a living (domestic cars only) doesn't understand my desire to have a stick. I've only had a stick as my primary car for the last 25 years but they are getting harder and harder to find and the options are limited.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/66/e4/66/6...64292ccd05.jpg

https://i.chzbgr.com/full/8602500864/h1FFA83AA/
Old Oct 18th 2019, 8:27 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Just swapped my GMC Acadia for an Audi Q5. Hope that’s ok?
Excellent. You may now buy me pints again!

Originally Posted by dbd33
One minivan for another, you'd have to read the labels closely to know which is which.

Subarus in the winter drive me bonkers. I'm not suggesting there's a Sapphic driving style but a vehicle sold on having all wheel drive and then fitted with winter tyres isn't selling to people with elevated testosterone. They're driven by people scared to go out and terrified of turning their lights on. More dithery than a Morris Minor,
Focus on the Saphic, and less on the driving, and you'll be fine.

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
My B-I-L who sells cars for a living (domestic cars only) doesn't understand my desire to have a stick. I've only had a stick as my primary car for the last 25 years but they are getting harder and harder to find and the options are limited./
Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I am from necessity but I never liked standard and found it a pain and very frustrating.

So much easier to just put a car in drive and not worry about shifting.
My current vehicle has the same engine but auto tranny as my last. As it's newer its rated at 30hp more, but is also a few hundred pounds heavier. And to drive, there's no comparison, current auto drive is quick but the old one was beautifully violent. Of course, nine times out of ten quick is more than enough.
Old Oct 18th 2019, 11:02 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
My B-I-L who sells cars for a living (domestic cars only) doesn't understand my desire to have a stick. I've only had a stick as my primary car for the last 25 years but they are getting harder and harder to find and the options are limited.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/66/e4/66/6...64292ccd05.jpg

https://i.chzbgr.com/full/8602500864/h1FFA83AA/
I for my primary car have always had stick apart from the short spells where I was driving either a Navigator or Expedition, since I passed my test at 18. I grumble about having something BIG to drive and I find driving auto boring. The explorer I have been driving until recently is a very agricultural standard shift, makes the 19 year old TT feel very smooth. Not sure what my winter vehicle will be the Explorer didn't like sustained - 20+ temps and the stick would not go into 1st and did not particularly like 2nd but it's a bit of a struggle getting going in 3rd lol. The TT I think will struggle with the ride height once we have had too much snow, which leaves the Range Rover with tempermental heating issues and of course automatic transmission.

New cars are all very samey at the moment, you have to as has been mentioned real the label to see what they actually are and there are very few interesting colours out there too. Fords line up is fairly appalling, which is a shame as that's where we would get a decent discount with employee pricing, but there is nothing that makes me go Hmm!
Old Oct 18th 2019, 11:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

New cars are all very samey at the moment, you have to as has been mentioned real the label to see what they actually are and there are very few interesting colours out there too. Fords line up is fairly appalling, which is a shame as that's where we would get a decent discount with employee pricing, but there is nothing that makes me go Hmm!
Mustang. Fun, cheap, comes in attractive blues and reds.
Old Oct 19th 2019, 3:31 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Mustang. Fun, cheap, comes in attractive blues and reds.
they don't handle in the snow, it's to icy here with the snow ridges. Also OH who is a Mustang and general Ford guy does not like the newer mustangs at all. He has been most disappointed with the newer offerings.
Old Oct 19th 2019, 12:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

they don't handle in the snow
Ahem. I've commuted in one for the last several winters. They are fabulous in the snow; slide at will, go sideways everywhere but without that scary lack of traction and control one has in a pick up.
Old Oct 19th 2019, 9:51 pm

Ahem. I've commuted in one for the last several winters. They are fabulous in the snow; slide at will, go sideways everywhere but without that scary lack of traction and control one has in a pick up.
there has been times OH has come home with tales of how they couldn't even work on a Mustang as they couldn't even get it inside as the wheels were just spinning. I'm not willing to not be able to move off at junctions in a light sequence because the wheels are just spinning, something you see quite often here with rear wheel drive cars. We don't need another summer vehicle.
Old Oct 19th 2019, 10:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

there has been times OH has come home with tales of how they couldn't even work on a Mustang as they couldn't even get it inside as the wheels were just spinning..
Some sort of a problem with the left foot in that case.
Old Oct 21st 2019, 1:16 am

Some sort of a problem with the left foot in that case.
I think it highlights the differences of winter driving in different provinces. Sometimes even with studded tyres you get a spin. Mustangs drop in value over the winter. No one chooses a Mustang at the dealers when it's 40 below and icy.
Old Oct 26th 2019, 2:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to me that the majoriety of drivers are dodgy irrespective of vehicle. I felt safer driving in Sicily or Naples to this place.
Old Oct 26th 2019, 2:54 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

there has been times OH has come home with tales of how they couldn't even work on a Mustang as they couldn't even get it inside as the wheels were just spinning. I'm not willing to not be able to move off at junctions in a light sequence because the wheels are just spinning, something you see quite often here with rear wheel drive cars. We don't need another summer vehicle.
Had a mustang convertible. Drove like a barge. No grip in winter.
Owner before me drove with a paving stone in the boot in winter.
Flexed badly over things like rail crossings and drank petrol.
Nice on sunny warm days with top down.
As an aside and a comment on the competence of mechanics here.
When I traded it in, the mechanic took it for a drive and complained that the top wouldn't power up, asked what was wrong with it. This experienced mechanic didn't understand that these common cars have a powered top interlocked with the handbrake to make sure it couldn't be raised when moving. Shook my head.

Old Oct 26th 2019, 11:53 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by dave_j
Had a mustang convertible. Drove like a barge. No grip in winter.
You just have to put winter tyres on it and be gentle with the clutch. The one problem I found with it, unique to the car, was ground clearance. If I didn't blow the driveway I'd get stuck, Once on pavement it was fine, way better than a truck and you see lots of trucks being driven in winter, typically on summer rubber. It'd be nice if they had the convention of dimming headlamps here though, it's really noticeable that high beams are on when you're driving something low to the ground.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.