Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Dodgy drivers by type of car - Canadian edition

Dodgy drivers by type of car - Canadian edition

Old Sep 24th 2019, 1:35 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dodgy drivers by type of car - Canadian edition

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Never owned a truck and I don't think I've ever driven one. This may not be a popular opinion but to me there are two types of people who need a truck...Construction workers and farmers.

I could never understand why General Motors have GMC Trucks and Chevy Trucks many of which seem indistinguishable from one another.
There are also GMC and Chevy minivans, it's an Austin/Morris thing, badge engineering. Presumably there are people who are loyal to one brand or the other though why is a mystery.
Old Sep 24th 2019, 6:37 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
This may not be a popular opinion but to me there are two types of people who need a truck...Construction workers and farmers.
Wrong.
There are three types who need trucks. Add Idiots who know that they shouldn't be in control of anything more mobile than a washing machine with a duff motor. They need something heavy so that when the inevitable crunch happens, usually no more than 5 minutes down the road, they're able to crawl out of the wreckage and start all over with a new and even heavier truck.
As an aside, there is no truth whatsoever to the rumour that GMC are basing their new truck on the chassis used in the M2 Bradley, it's going to be the M1 Abrams so as to ensure 100% survivability when confronting the menacing Dodge Caravan in the hands of a mother late to pickup her kids from school.

Old Sep 24th 2019, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
Wrong.
There are three types who need trucks. Add Idiots who know that they shouldn't be in control of anything more mobile than a washing machine with a duff motor. They need something heavy so that when the inevitable crunch happens, usually no more than 5 minutes down the road, they're able to crawl out of the wreckage and start all over with a new and even heavier truck.
As an aside, there is no truth whatsoever to the rumour that GMC are basing their new truck on the chassis used in the M2 Bradley, it's going to be the M1 Abrams so as to ensure 100% survivability when confronting the menacing Dodge Caravan in the hands of a mother late to pickup her kids from school.
I stand corrected...there are 3 types. Thanks for that. When I have been in peoples trucks it seemed so disconnected from the road due to the height above the road. Plus parking in underground lots or parallel parking in city settings is a pain from what I've seen. Travelling to Alberta last year was an eye opener into how many trucks there are on the roads.

Old Sep 24th 2019, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

All this talk of Dogde Ram / F150 drivers. When we were in Ottawa winter before last after a bad snow and ice storm, the only cars I saw slid off the road in ditches were mainly trucks with huge snow tyres! I guess they thought they were invincible in those conditions
Old Sep 24th 2019, 10:22 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
All this talk of Dogde Ram / F150 drivers. When we were in Ottawa winter before last after a bad snow and ice storm, the only cars I saw slid off the road in ditches were mainly trucks with huge snow tyres! I guess they thought they were invincible in those conditions
How very dare you. I love my F650

Old Sep 24th 2019, 11:24 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

When my daughter was taking drivers Ed, we wanted her to learn manual/standard, so that's what we booked for her. The chap said, after you have done the theory, I will be outside in the big white truck. I reassured her that it would propbably be the size of a F150 so not to worry ( I was driving I think a Expedition at the time so she knew that was the same size).

Poor kid, she pulled up at home after her 1st lesson in a Dodge Ram 3500 that had been lifted. She had 9 lessons in that thing, we then switched her to automatic as we needed her to pass her test quickly as we were moving out of town to no bus service.

I am happy to say she can drive both Auto and manual and she is a very nice little driver, I feel very safe with her.
Old Sep 24th 2019, 11:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

We have someone in our building who has a large truck that is jacked up, first day he had it he damaged it and broke water and sewer pipe in the garage, his truck is too tall and he ignored the signs. People often dont seem to realize the size and height of their vehicles.

I tired to learn stickshift when I was younger, never was able to master it and wont drive one.

Old Sep 25th 2019, 1:25 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
We have someone in our building who has a large truck that is jacked up, first day he had it he damaged it and broke water and sewer pipe in the garage, his truck is too tall and he ignored the signs. People often dont seem to realize the size and height of their vehicles.

I tired to learn stickshift when I was younger, never was able to master it and wont drive one.
I much prefer driving stick, make husbands job of finding me a car I like much harder lol
Old Sep 25th 2019, 1:28 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'm automatic all the way. 2 pedals, go and stop, perfect

The cowboy with his big truck sounds a bit dumb.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
I drive a truck a lot of the time (I qualify because I live on a farm). I find that the truck is much less stable and far more likely to put me in the ditch than the car but the advantage is that it can generally drive right back out again.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Are GMC drivers a known thing?

I can picture a prospective buyer going to the chevy truck shop, kicking the tires, test driving, then finally choosing- and the sales guy saying "Good choice sir, but you appear to be an utter dick, so we'd recommend the near identical GMC equivalent.

Anyone here drive one.......?
Just swapped my GMC Acadia for an Audi Q5. Hope that’s ok?
Old Sep 26th 2019, 2:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I am from necessity but I never liked standard and found it a pain and very frustrating.

So much easier to just put a car in drive and not worry about shifting.

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'm automatic all the way. 2 pedals, go and stop, perfect

The cowboy with his big truck sounds a bit dumb.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 4:36 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I am from necessity but I never liked standard and found it a pain and very frustrating.

So much easier to just put a car in drive and not worry about shifting.
Yep, point and go is great
Old Sep 26th 2019, 11:31 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill

Just swapped my GMC Acadia for an Audi Q5. Hope that’s ok?
One minivan for another, you'd have to read the labels closely to know which is which.

Subarus in the winter drive me bonkers. I'm not suggesting there's a Sapphic driving style but a vehicle sold on having all wheel drive and then fitted with winter tyres isn't selling to people with elevated testosterone. They're driven by people scared to go out and terrified of turning their lights on. More dithery than a Morris Minor,
Old Sep 26th 2019, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
One minivan for another, you'd have to read the labels closely to know which is which.

Subarus in the winter drive me bonkers. I'm not suggesting there's a Sapphic driving style but a vehicle sold on having all wheel drive and then fitted with winter tyres isn't selling to people with elevated testosterone. They're driven by people scared to go out and terrified of turning their lights on. More dithery than a Morris Minor,
Lol. I'm a cautious driver but by no means a scared driver. I haven't yet experienced the Q5 in winter but I have to say the Acadia was great. A heavy beast on the road it never slipped anywhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.