British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Dodgy drivers by type of car - Canadian edition (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/dodgy-drivers-type-car-canadian-edition-928055/)

Hurlabrick Sep 22nd 2019 7:53 pm

Dodgy drivers by type of car - Canadian edition

Our observations of driving ability in Canada by car type

BMW / Audi - same as UK!
Mercedes - not as bad as above, but still iffy
Minis - Aaarghhh
Dodge Journey (with or without optional terminal rust) - keep your distance
Cadillac / Lincoln - still trying to understand that others are also on the road
Golf - As per UK

....useful now that I am motorbiking as I really need my spidey senses set at maximum range!

CanadaJimmy Sep 22nd 2019 8:24 pm

Re: Dodgy drivers by type of car - Canadian edition

Champagne or Silver color Toyota Corolla - Usually slow and oblivious to other road users.

And yes Mini drivers are terrifying, lots of power and often driven by new drivers who like to go fast.

Gozit Sep 22nd 2019 8:32 pm

Lincoln - usually old people going 10km/h under the limit at all times driving everyone mad.
Early 2000s Honda civic - high school boy racer driving like an utter and complete moron
Older model (1985 and below) ford mustang with a loud exhaust - Middle aged guy with a mid life crisis/ego problem

Dodge caravan - this one is iffy, either a mum driving responsibly, a dad that is angry that he had to buy a minivan and driving it like a bat out of hell, or the former but too distracted by all the kids in the car to pay attention to what is in front of her.

All in all, the driving test is pretty easy here and about 65% of drivers don't pay as much attention as they should, resulting in a lot of near misses and just general stupidity.

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 22nd 2019 8:34 pm

Trucks with Alberta plates in BC drive like maniacs.

Cadillac can go 2 ways older seniors or young gangsters.

Vancouver high end performance cars with an N on the back is common, rich kids whose parents buy them expensive toys.

One thing I noticed when I did parking enforcement the higher end the vehicle the less likely they were to have paid for parking.

Hurlabrick Sep 22nd 2019 8:43 pm

Oooohhhh forgot to mention.....

Drivers from Montreal (mad as a box of frogs and more aggressive than a very agressive thing).

Yes, Dodge Caravans - Youngs mums driving the family bus or hockey moms driving the team bus.

Hurlabrick Sep 22nd 2019 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12738402)
Vancouver high end performance cars with an N on the back is common, rich kids whose parents buy them expensive toys.

The N signifies what?

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 22nd 2019 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick (Post 12738407)
The N signifies what?

Novice driver who holds a class 7 licence. (class 5 is the full licence in BC)

Class 7 drivers have more restrictions placed on them, such as zero blood alcohol, can't use any personal electronics while driving including hands free, can only have 1 passenger (if not immediate family) unless there is a driver with a class 1, 2,3,4 or 5 over 25 in the vehicle.

https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensin...et-your-N.aspx

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...bf20041e89.jpg

dbd33 Sep 22nd 2019 11:53 pm

Toyota Pious. Insistently chugging along at exactly the speed limit.

Buick/Cadillac/Lexus/Infinity - veering all over while the driver struggles with his hearing aids.

Oddly, there are loads of people here who attempt to drive while wearing hats. No one can operate a vehicle competently in a hat (helmets excepted).

beckiwoo Sep 23rd 2019 3:01 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12738402)

The ones that don’t have N plates in the back and drive these cars usually are ones getting out of the vehicle wearing high end designer clothes that has the brand stamped/written all over them...you know just so that everyone knows that they are designer and cost lots and lots of money...makes me laugh

Pizzawheel Sep 23rd 2019 8:19 pm

Are GMC drivers a known thing?

I can picture a prospective buyer going to the chevy truck shop, kicking the tires, test driving, then finally choosing- and the sales guy saying "Good choice sir, but you appear to be an utter dick, so we'd recommend the near identical GMC equivalent.

Anyone here drive one.......?

caretaker Sep 23rd 2019 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12738458)
Toyota Pious. Insistently chugging along at exactly the speed limit.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...782429a3c8.jpg

Danny B Sep 23rd 2019 10:52 pm

Chrysler 300 = Drug dealer

Piff Poff Sep 23rd 2019 11:20 pm

Dodge Truck drivers are the very worse for letting you out, riding your bumper and being generally idiotic.

dbd33 Sep 24th 2019 12:00 am

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 12739052)
Dodge Truck drivers are the very worse for letting you out, riding your bumper and being generally idiotic.

We had a Dodge Ram rental once. No gear lever, just a limp knob dangling from the dash. I can't see one now without thinking that the driver is caressing that.

Partially discharged Sep 24th 2019 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel (Post 12738972)
Are GMC drivers a known thing?

I can picture a prospective buyer going to the chevy truck shop, kicking the tires, test driving, then finally choosing- and the sales guy saying "Good choice sir, but you appear to be an utter dick, so we'd recommend the near identical GMC equivalent.

Anyone here drive one.......?

Never owned a truck and I don't think I've ever driven one. This may not be a popular opinion but to me there are two types of people who need a truck...Construction workers and farmers.

I could never understand why General Motors have GMC Trucks and Chevy Trucks many of which seem indistinguishable from one another.