Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Do you work for free?

Do you work for free?

Old May 15th 2013, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do you work for free?

I have just finished an interesting conversation with a potential client.

For initial consultations, I don't charge for them at all, no matter how long they take. I find that this means that I get the full attention of the client as they are not constantly clock watching. During this time, I set out my fee structure and how I charge. I inform the client that I will not perform any further work until I have received the specified retainer and that I will not chase them for it. In other words, I leave it entirely to them as to whether the relationship continues and, if it doesn't, they are under no obligation; niether am I.

This chap wanted to know if I offered free consultations. I informed him of the above. He stated that he didn't want this, he simply wanted a free initial hour so that, if the initial meeting only took half an hour, he would have an additional half an hour in the bank, which would then be applied to any future work. I gave him a two worded response, the second word of which was "off" (not quite true, but you get the gist).

How many of you expect people to work for you for free and do you perform work for anyone for free? I am not talking about volunteering or assisting neighbours, I am talking about people that you will expect to have to pay at some point.

Old May 15th 2013, 9:34 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you work for free?

There has been times I've gone back to help a customer after I've clocked off, but that has been my choice and the customer and I have built a good rapport and I know what she has been looking for and to pass her off to another associate would have spoilt her experience.

But no I would not expect to bank a free half hour in your situation. One reason I am looking for a new orthodontist for my kid is the fact that after the initial retainer (brace) and having spent a couple of thousand, he was no longer interested in explaining the next phase of treatment, just the cost, as he was pulled from looking at another patient, even though we had booked a consult. I think a dentist should do more than just glance in a mouth.
Old May 15th 2013, 9:36 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

A free initial consultation is normal for me too. I also do quite a bit of other work for free, or for a nominal cost. It is one of the things I like best about being self-employed: I get to choose who I charge, and for what.

That said, if I thought that anyone was trying to take advantage I would charge them like a wounded rhino.
Old May 15th 2013, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Wow what an idiot, "banking" 30 mins from a free consultation? That's not how that works, how cheap can you get...

I work for free sometimes when it comes to a 15min task after they have already been invoiced. I won't bill the client the amount until the next big task comes along which may be months, or never at all. It just seems petty to send out an invoice for such a small amount.

I also rarely bill for phone call hours if the clock isn't running, since again these are usually 10min things.
Old May 15th 2013, 9:47 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Presumably this was a young and/or naive chap? If so, it's an innocent question; if not, you were right to show him the door.
Old May 15th 2013, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

He was calling to schedule an initial consult.
Old May 15th 2013, 10:05 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
How much of your 30 min initial consult do you spend explaining your fee structure? 29 minutes?

<just joking>
Old May 15th 2013, 10:36 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

In that case if your initial consult is free you should have invited him in and provided it in the one session. No need to be rude to him. Indeed he could turn out to be a valuable client.
Old May 15th 2013, 10:53 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

He stated that he didn't want this, he simply wanted a free initial hour so that, if the initial meeting only took half an hour, he would have an additional half an hour in the bank, which would then be applied to any future work.
"Yes. The time bank is subject to a maintenance fee of $insert"
Old May 15th 2013, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Shard
In that case if your initial consult is free you should have invited him in and provided it in the one session. No need to be rude to him. Indeed he could turn out to be a valuable client.
I doubt it. I have shortened the conversation somewhat. I probably spent 30 mins on the phone with him. He didn't want to come in until he knew how much the initial consult would cost. When I told him nothing, he then wished to "bargain" with me as to how others had a set amount of time "free" and wanted to know how much "free" time I would give him. I told him that the entire consult was free, irrespective of whether it took 30 mins or 2 hours, that's when the discussion turned to "banking".

I wasn't quite as forward as outlined above either, but I have a reputation of being an asshole on this board to maintain
Old May 15th 2013, 11:40 am
me/moi

I doubt it. I have shortened the conversation somewhat. I probably spent 30 mins on the phone with him. He didn't want to come in until he knew how much the initial consult would cost. When I told him nothing, he then wished to "bargain" with me as to how others had a set amount of time "free" and wanted to know how much "free" time I would give him. I told him that the entire consult was free, irrespective of whether it took 30 mins or 2 hours, that's when the discussion turned to "banking".

I wasn't quite as forward as outlined above either, but I have a reputation of being an asshole on this board to maintain
In that case it seems the initial 30 minutes on the phone was over generous and has ended up being a time waste. Perhaps you should limit the phone enquiry to setting up the consultation (after a quick screening that it is relevant work for you). As to your board reputation, I think you must mean hard-assed which has an altogether different (and more positive) meaning.

Last edited by Shard; May 15th 2013 at 11:48 am.
Old May 15th 2013, 10:19 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

I have just finished an interesting conversation with a potential client.

For initial consultations, I don't charge for them at all, no matter how long they take. I find that this means that I get the full attention of the client as they are not constantly clock watching. During this time, I set out my fee structure and how I charge. I inform the client that I will not perform any further work until I have received the specified retainer and that I will not chase them for it. In other words, I leave it entirely to them as to whether the relationship continues and, if it doesn't, they are under no obligation; niether am I.

This chap wanted to know if I offered free consultations. I informed him of the above. He stated that he didn't want this, he simply wanted a free initial hour so that, if the initial meeting only took half an hour, he would have an additional half an hour in the bank, which would then be applied to any future work. I gave him a two worded response, the second word of which was "off" (not quite true, but you get the gist).

How many of you expect people to work for you for free and do you perform work for anyone for free? I am not talking about volunteering or assisting neighbours, I am talking about people that you will expect to have to pay at some point.

He was taking the pi$$ and being cheap at the same time.
Old May 15th 2013, 11:05 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I recently undertook producing a video for a local artist who is an acquaintance of mine. We negotiated a fixed fee for a specific number of photos and as I anticipated it taking me a couple of days to complete it was heavily discounted.

4 weeks, 28 versions, over 50 changes (due to her changing her mind) and quadruple the amount of photos later I finally had to say "enough".

If I had charged her an hourly rate the invoice would have been well over $1000; because she was an acquaintance she didn't want to pay any more than the original quote and by that stage I couldn't be bothered to get into an argument about it, I just wanted it to end.

I basically worked for 3 and a half weeks for free.

Never again!
Old May 15th 2013, 11:10 pm
me/moi

Originally Posted by siouxie
I recently undertook producing a video for a local artist who is an acquaintance of mine. We negotiated a fixed fee for a specific number of photos and as I anticipated it taking me a couple of days to complete it was heavily discounted.

4 weeks, 28 versions, over 50 changes (due to her changing her mind) and quadruple the amount of photos later I finally had to say "enough".

If I had charged her an hourly rate the invoice would have been well over $1000; because she was an acquaintance she didn't want to pay any more than the original quote and by that stage I couldn't be bothered to get into an argument about it, I just wanted it to end.

I basically worked for 3 and a half weeks for free.

Never again!
Yes, money is a great way to focus a client's mind!

Great "new short video" very slick.
Old May 15th 2013, 11:41 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Yes, money is a great way to focus a client's mind!

Great "new short video" very slick.
thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.