British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Do you online shop in Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/do-you-online-shop-canada-852912/)

Gozit Dec 7th 2015 4:29 am

Re: Do you online shop in Canada?

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 11809214)
I ordered several items from Amazon.com and from Amazon.ca within the same hour on 27th November - the items ordered from the US were here last Wednesday morning. Some of the items ordered from Canada were supposed to be here by last Thursday but they have sat at Mississauga for the past 5 days. Another item ordered on the same day hasn't even been dispatched yet. I contacted Amazon.ca last night and they have changed the shipping to expedited on that item but still can't give me a date of dispatch, which is really annoying.

The customer service agent admitted things were a mess right now, sigh.

:)

Yep... I find the same thing, US-originating items arrive quicker. They also tend to arrive with a $100 "customs import tax/duty". :ohmy:

scrubbedexpat091 Dec 7th 2015 4:41 am

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 11809210)
:lol:
I hate Canada post. 2 weeks to get something from Richmond Hill to Saint Thomas... Charged $20 for shipping on a $40 item to boot. All the stores in my area that would sell the item have closed down so I was left with no choice... Ridiculous. Ordered an item from Amazon UK to shipped to Malta on a Tuesday, it went via air mail and arrived on the Friday. I agree online shopping in Europe is much more polished than here.

Canada Post is more or less useless. I hate when items are shipped using them mainly for the slow speed, really for a service called expedited, it should not take 3 days to travel less then 100km's. USPS can on average get Priority Mail coast to coast in less then 3 days, and regionally next day.

They also no longer deliver parcels to your door here and haven't for about 4 years, so you don't actually get it on the day it's due but the next day when you can pick it up.

I ordered from Amazon ca Wed last week, 2 day shipping, but reality is while it did get to town in 2 days, because they refuse to deliver it to your door, wasn't until today we could pick it up.

At least UPS and Fedex always try and deliver it to your first, Purolator is 50/50, sometimes they deliver, and sometimes a notice just appears on the door with no door bell or knock.

I order very little online, and 80% of the time when I do, I just order from the US, easier, and generally better selection and value and with amazon which is where most of what I order comes from, they include all the duty and fees in the total, no surprise charges on delivery.

They even refund the difference if they over estimate the charges, and if they under estimate they absorb the cost and don't charge you.

Siouxie Dec 7th 2015 4:49 am

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 11809220)
Yep... I find the same thing, US-originating items arrive quicker. They also tend to arrive with a $100 "customs import tax/duty". :ohmy:

Not through Amazon - they calculate any taxes before shipping and order, so you can see what you are paying in advance - nothing extra to pay, in my experience.

:)

scrubbedexpat091 Dec 11th 2015 7:54 pm

Amazon may as well stop advertising prime in Canada, the day a prime package arrives as amazon proclaims, well I will assume someplace hot as frozen over.....:lol:

Ordered and shipped yesterday by Canada Post, prime shipping. Canada Post has Wed next week as the delivery day, so exclude the weekends, and it's not 2 days no matter how it's spun..... And the package only has to travel about 100km.

Not flip to .com and the USPS for a package being delivered to Point Robert's, WA coming from Texas, and it arrived today, shipped Wed.

I don't know why Amazon keeps using Canada Post, it really makes prime worthless in Canada.

Now of course Amazon has had some issues south of the border as well, but it's not consistent and only around the Christmas season, but in Canada it's consistent with Canada Post unable to meet Amazon's claim, I complain each time, but they keep on using Canada Post.

KuroKuro Dec 13th 2015 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11812671)
Amazon may as well stop advertising prime in Canada, the day a prime package arrives as amazon proclaims, well I will assume someplace hot as frozen over.....:lol:

Ordered and shipped yesterday by Canada Post, prime shipping. Canada Post has Wed next week as the delivery day, so exclude the weekends, and it's not 2 days no matter how it's spun..... And the package only has to travel about 100km.

Interesting that you're having such a different experience. My bf & I regularly use Prime and have always gotten our stuff in 2 days (or as detailed anyway). We also get our stuff delivered to our workplace, in central Burnaby, so there's always someone there to receive it.

caretaker Dec 13th 2015 8:51 pm

My experiences have been positive overall, but I order less from outside Canada now because of the terrible exchange rate. The letter carrier is nice, the clerk at the post office is nice. The stuff usually comes when they say it will or sooner. Once in a while customs grabs something for no good reason and spends 2 weeks playing with it and mocking it and soiling it before sending it on with sales taxes calculated and a $5 fee for Canada Post for collecting the taxes. I always give lots of time and it usually comes, and I keep in close contact with the seller so they know I'm not anxious about it. It's easier to wait than have a double shipment. At Christmas all bets are off at Canada Post, they might have entire floors of the post office just holding late parcels if it 's like past years.

Stinkypup Dec 13th 2015 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by KuroKuro (Post 11813579)
Interesting that you're having such a different experience. My bf & I regularly use Prime and have always gotten our stuff in 2 days (or as detailed anyway). We also get our stuff delivered to our workplace, in central Burnaby, so there's always someone there to receive it.

I agree with you, we use Prime a lot and they are very prompt with their deliveries-( not like UK , ordered by 4pm and delivered next morning but UK is tiddly) and have I feel improved over the years since we arrived. We also get delivered to our office which as you say makes life simple.

plasticcanuck Dec 13th 2015 9:31 pm

I find Amazon.ca to be very efficient with deliveries, usually within the promised time or sooner.

scrubbedexpat091 Dec 13th 2015 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by KuroKuro (Post 11813579)

They are prompt if Amazon sends it UPS, but that is rare and they almost always send it Canada Post Expedited Parcel and despite it's name is far from expedited...lol

Canada Post is just a slow moving machine, and they no longer even deliver parcels in this area to you, you have to go pick them up from Canada Post.

Canada Post tracking has it sitting in Richmond, BC since the 11th, expected delivery for Thurs Dec 17 which means I can pick up on the 18th.

It's only an issue with Canada Post, but since Amazon is the one who refuses to stop using them for Prime, the blame squarely is on Amazon.

In the off times they use UPS the package always arrives on time or early.

Amazon gets a complaint each time, but they really do not seem to give a flying rats arse.

Most recent orders:

Shipped December 11th-Expected December 18th. Canada Post (at the time of purchase this one said delivery Monday the 14th)

Shipped December 1st, delivered December 8th Canada Post (at the time of purchase this one said delivery of December 4)

Shipped October 18-Delivery Oct 19 UPS (On time as indicated at time of order.)

Shipped October 15-Delivery Oct 16 UPS (on time as indicated at time of order.)

It's very clear to me Canada Post cannot meet the prime shipping promises amazon makes, and they refuse to stop shipping prime packages with Canada Post.

Plain and simple, Canada Post doesn't care, they do what they want and don't even reply to complaints.

For comparison, USPS got a parcel from Houston, TX to WA state in less then 48 hours. But a parcel from Richmond, BC to Squamish, BC will take a week.

scrubbedexpat091 Dec 13th 2015 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck (Post 11813623)
I find Amazon.ca to be very efficient with deliveries, usually within the promised time or sooner.

Are you getting them by Canada Post?

Stinkypup Dec 13th 2015 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11813631)
Are you getting them by Canada Post?

We get our by AAF.. Amazon Air Force. We had to build a drone landing pad on the roof though;)

scrubbedexpat091 Dec 13th 2015 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 11813648)
We get our by AAF.. Amazon Air Force. We had to build a drone landing pad on the roof though;)

At this rate drones would be faster....:rofl:

Wonder how long a drone would take to go the 100km's or so it is from the Amazon fulfillment center?

I'd even be happy if Amazon offered pick up at their center, order and pick up same day, that would be sweet.

They do offer some sort of pick up, but if you choose it, it's just sending the package to the local Canada Post office, so not any quicker.