Do you miss Cricket?

Old Aug 7th 2013, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you miss Cricket?

Originally Posted by Scribble
You clearly don't understand the sport

We could watch ice hockey. 3 x 20min periods with loads of stoppages where nothing happens. A 60min game that takes 3hrs to finish because of all the ads and other crap. It is a fast game though, I'll give it that.

To the OP, you can find cricket being played in all parts of Canada, not many teams but they are there.
I believe I understand the game of cricket. I used to live in Worcester and was a member of their club at the time that some of the world cup matches were held at New Road.

I have never attended a hockey game that lasted 3 hours
Old Aug 8th 2013, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

cllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nice

I've been playing loads of cricket over here in vancouver. The men have a fair few games and a league. As a woman I have to play in womens teams a league for which which isn't nearly as well set up yet.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 2:59 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Or Surrey.
Or surprisingly enough in Calgary.

http://cricketcalgary.com/
Old Aug 8th 2013, 7:26 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rishi851
I am an East Indian and I stayed in Ottawa for 2 years. Someday I'd relocate to vancouver. I have a chance to even relocate for a minimum 2 years to Newfoundland and Labrador but I miss our common culture so much.
I missed butter chicken and fish n chips and above all...cricket! Even if I go to newfoundland I fear that I'd be too far removed from everything.
People in newfoundland are renowned for their friendliness and the natural scenery is awe inspiring but I'd want someone to share that common interest.
Even Aussies are welcome(kidding).

But how do you adapt to a totally different way of life? Enlighten me!
Firstly, there is a Newfoundland Cricket Association & League:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Newfo...85095814896295

and a league sponsored by an Indian company:

http://www.canadacricket.com/nlcricket/

Secondly, Indian food is available here. Not as widely or perhaps at the same quality as elsewhere in Canada or the UK, but there are 3 or 4 Indian restaurants in St. John's & the weekly St John's farmers market has 2-3 vendors selling Indian food. Mrs AX goes there most weekends for her fix.

Thrirdly,Fish and Chips is a staple food in Newfoundland. It will always be cod and chips but finding a decent chippy is not a problem.

Fourthly, there are a plethora of expatriate Brits and even Aussies in St John's, largely because of the Oil and Gas boom.

Finally, Former Lancastrian probably has never met a Newfie. Or believes Buddy Wassisname is real. Either way on the subject of Newfoundland and Newfoundlanders, he's full of sh1t.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

No...I miss it as much as I do a root canal treatment.......even if the Dentist was paying ME to undergo it!
Old Sep 16th 2013, 1:56 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I think the OP is long gone, but from todays local paper:

http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...-for-cricket/1
Old Sep 16th 2013, 5:13 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I think the OP is long gone, but from todays local paper:

http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...-for-cricket/1
HID got some of her schools to participate in a cricket training program. It was quite extensive, the children all had a great time (it's a stick and a ball game ffs), the parents seemed to genuinely be pleased but after the program finished it just died, there was no follow up and no teacher continued it, even though the program left four full Kwik cricket sets in each school.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 5:22 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

It is odd that it's not more popular in North America, because you'd be hard-pushed to come up with a game that's got more opportunities for statistics and ad-breaks.

Could you imagine the stiffy that the TV execs would get if an important hockey game was scheduled for FIVE DAYS?!!
Old Sep 16th 2013, 5:35 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
It is odd that it's not more popular in North America, because you'd be hard-pushed to come up with a game that's got more opportunities for statistics and ad-breaks.

Could you imagine the stiffy that the TV execs would get if an important hockey game* was scheduled for FIVE DAYS?!!
* Unfortunately, they actually last longer than that as they're organized into a series of games over a week or so.

Nobody outside of Canada watches the regular season.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 9:39 am
Just Joined

Randy Bender is an unknown quantity at this point

I played for Vancouver CC back in the late 1980s when as a lad I was working (black) on construction sites. It was a good standard and we had a guy on our team who had played for Canada - they enter and get nowhere in the cricket world cup.

Our pitch was in Stanley Park and on one memorable occasion I got up at 4am and we went down to Seattle for a game as their Boeing staff are multi-national. Fielding on the boundary, a tubby all-American teenage girl came by and asked me, "What the hell are you guys doing?"

The Vancouver universities, UBC and Simon Fraser, had high quality players and a team called Caribe had very fast bowlers. It was fun and some members of our team used it as an opportunity to escape the wife and kids and drink beer hidden in paper bags all day then drive home. The British emigres always struck me as lonely.

Last edited by Randy Bender; Sep 18th 2013 at 9:44 am.