Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Do you have backup heat source?

Wikiposts

Do you have backup heat source?

Old Jan 13th 2017, 1:54 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you have backup heat source?

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Yes, someone else said that but I didn't see an answer to my next question.
The blurb says it will run "small to medium appliances" so what are these small to medium appliances that are smaller than kettles and toasters?
Or is it highly misleading advertising?
It is a little misleading. It will run a radio, phone charger, DVD player (not the TV), internet router, a light or two depending on the bulb rating, electric tooth brushes and some things that use an electric motor.. but nothing that generates heat. So anything rated at 120W or less.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 2:01 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
...It will run a radio, phone charger, DVD player (not the TV), internet router, a light or two depending on the bulb rating, electric tooth brushes...
Thanks. I saw one review that said a laptop. So I could get a youtube clip of a kettle boiling then.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 4:44 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I saw one review that said a laptop. So I could get a youtube clip of a kettle boiling then.
It will run a laptop but not a desktop system. The power supply for the laptop I'm working on, an elderly HPG60, is rated at 65W. Typical desktops rate at 200W upwards depending on peripherals eg graphics cards, additional disc drives, cooling fans etc, installed.

If we want to use this device to do something useful then we need to consider some numbers.

If you could find a low power heater, rated at 120W or less, and you want to be able to heat a cup of water then...

If we completely ignore heat losses from hot containers and any heat that is used to heat containers themselves and if we cover the water to prevent evaporation then the following gives you some idea of what this device could ideally achieve.

120W means that the device will supply 120 Joules/sec. The calorie is defined as that amount of energy that will raise the temperature of 1 gr of water by 1C. There are about 4.2 Joules/calorie so 120W will increase the temperature of 120/4.2=28.5 gr of water by 1C/second. If we assume that the average cup holds 300 gr of water, then the temperature will increase by 28.5/300=0.095 C/sec. So to raise 300gr water from 5C to 80C will take (80-5)/0.095=789.5 second or about 13 minutes.

However, if you want to heat the water to boiling, it will take a further (100-80)/.095=210 seconds or a further 3.5 minutes. So the minimum time the device will take to heat 300g water from 5C to 100C will be 16.5 minutes.

If the water isn't covered then you run into another problem. The latent heat of evaporation of water is 2257 Joules/gr. What this means is that the device must work for an extra 2257/120=19 seconds for each gramme that evaporates.

It's likely in real life that as the container gets hotter you lose heat to the container and its surroundings and as some water evaporates from the surface then you might be looking at times in excess of 30 minutes to heat the water to 100C so I hope you're not thirsty when you start and if you have a friend then explain that you only have one cup.

I hope it's not dark, because you won't have any power left to light the bulb.

Last edited by dave_j; Jan 13th 2017 at 4:53 am.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 5:35 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

with your solution of any type of power back up, my suggestion to that folks is to always have something such as the following

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/coleman-.../6000189452829

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/coleman-.../6000039222089
Old Jan 13th 2017, 5:59 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

@ dave_j

Are you my Physics teacher from Brislington Comprehensive?

Mr Hartnell? Told us a tale of a home made battery connected to a door handle to give a mild shock to his teacher.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

paw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, someone else said that but I didn't see an answer to my next question.

The blurb says it will run "small to medium appliances" so what are these small to medium appliances that are smaller than kettles and toasters?

Or is it highly misleading advertising?
It's certainly not clear advertising.

I think they are really talking about radios, CD players, tablet etc which require far less power than something that deliberately creates heat.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 2:46 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Wood insert. We heat the whole house with it and only rely on a heat pump for one room.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 11:17 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by not2old
with your solution of any type of power back up, my suggestion to that folks is to always have something such as the following
http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/coleman-.../6000189452829
http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/coleman-.../6000039222089
How do you handle the carbon monoxide?
We have a woodstove but I'm not convinced it would be enough....in the winter we found it never got particularly warm with the heating...and the wood stove so we moved temporarily into the other room...and never moved back.

If it wasn't warm with heating and the woodstove, it may not be warm enough with just the latter..
That was back around 2007 and we've not used (nor needed) the woodstove since.
Last Winter we finally had a power outage of a significant length. Significant length in my experience here is 5 or 6 hours. Only the second one of that length and the first had been a line to our house rather than a general outage.

It was well into the evening when the power went and I decided to get hot water into a HW bottle for my bed and had an early night. The heating had been on, the house was warm and stayed warm enough until waking to find all restored.

Being in the city I feel this is as worse at gets - twice (once?) in 12 winters - but then even people not far from here were without power for at least a day in last winter's ice storm, so who knows.

Anyway, we don't know when the people before us last had the woodstove inspected and chimney cleaned, so for peace of mind I had it done today in case there should be occasion to use it.

The bad news is it was either installed not to code or the codes changed since.
It's well short of clearance distances from the internal walls, the flue isn't as it should be in behind and there is supposed to be 3 feet sticking out of the roof, not 2. The platform is fine except it's supposed to extend beyond the stove more than it does. Oh...and in the basement there is supposed to be a door in the base of the chimney rather than being "bunged up"

So there may be some implications for insurance. And, of course, safety.

To satisfy the distance codes the platform needs to come out so far into the room as to be more than a nuisance.

Apparently there are other woodstoves that don't require these distances but the cost of one and the other corrections would be $5k or $6k.

It's not worth doing.

I wonder about gas. Maybe a gas fire? Apparently the gas supply is already on the street.

Anyone had a full or partial conversion to gas with any experiences to share?

I don't want to go the whole hog, the Heat Pump system was all new only around 5 years ago.

Is it worth doing just for fire (assuming no electric ignition needed) and maybe hot water?

Who knows, with a gas fire I may reclaim the living room either side of winter.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 11:31 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

How do you handle the carbon monoxide?

That was back around 2007 and we've not used (nor needed) the woodstove since.
Last Winter we finally had a power outage of a significant length. Significant length in my experience here is 5 or 6 hours. Only the second one of that length and the first had been a line to our house rather than a general outage.

It was well into the evening when the power went and I decided to get hot water into a HW bottle for my bed and had an early night. The heating had been on, the house was warm and stayed warm enough until waking to find all restored.

Being in the city I feel this is as worse at gets - twice (once?) in 12 winters - but then even people not far from here were without power for at least a day in last winter's ice storm, so who knows.

Anyway, we don't know when the people before us last had the woodstove inspected and chimney cleaned, so for peace of mind I had it done today in case there should be occasion to use it.

The bad news is it was either installed not to code or the codes changed since.
It's well short of clearance distances from the internal walls, the flue isn't as it should be in behind and there is supposed to be 3 feet sticking out of the roof, not 2. The platform is fine except it's supposed to extend beyond the stove more than it does. Oh...and in the basement there is supposed to be a door in the base of the chimney rather than being "bunged up"

So there may be some implications for insurance. And, of course, safety.

To satisfy the distance codes the platform needs to come out so far into the room as to be more than a nuisance.

Apparently there are other woodstoves that don't require these distances but the cost of one and the other corrections would be $5k or $6k.

It's not worth doing.

I wonder about gas. Maybe a gas fire? Apparently the gas supply is already on the street.

Anyone had a full or partial conversion to gas with any experiences to share?

I don't want to go the whole hog, the Heat Pump system was all new only around 5 years ago.

Is it worth doing just for fire (assuming no electric ignition needed) and maybe hot water?

Who knows, with a gas fire I may reclaim the living room either side of winter.
We replaced our wood stove with a free standing gas stove so when the hydro goes off we have heat but the fan on it doesn't work. We often put the gas stove on in the evening which means the living area is nice and warm but the bedrooms aren't too hot.

We had the gas supply put into the house, it cost nothing and there was minimal inconvenience.

Husband, the gas man, says it would be worthwhile. What kind if furnace do you have?
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 11:38 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by bats
We had the gas supply put into the house, it cost nothing and there was minimal inconvenience.
Sounds good, thanks.
I have a feeling it might be different here as not many are using gas yet and I remember reading - albeit some years ago - that start up costs were high.

Husband, the gas man, says it would be worthwhile. What kind if furnace do you have?
That sounds a bit technical for me Bryant heat pump/air con system with electric heat back-up if outside unit isn't doing the trick.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 11:50 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds good, thanks.
I have a feeling it might be different here as not many are using gas yet and I remember reading - albeit some years ago - that start up costs were high.

That sounds a bit technical for me Bryant heat pump/air con system with electric heat back-up if outside unit isn't doing the trick.
Do some calculations and see if a new HE gas furnace would be worth it. In Ontario it's a no brainer as you'd get your money back in two years.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 12:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Do some calculations and see if a new HE gas furnace would be worth it. In Ontario it's a no brainer as you'd get your money back in two years.
I've put gas into two of the last three houses (the other one already had a gas stove). The cost was minimal, how much escapes me but less than cheese and wine for a month.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 12:08 pm
Oscar nominated

I'm reluctant to replace so soon but a quick look at the Enbridge NB site says a typical annual cost for heat and hot water would be $1673. Going by how much above normal NB Power says we are that would be well above $2000.

We pay around $3300 a year but that gets air conditioning too. Probably not in the Enbridge figure.

I think I need more research - plus a reply from Enbridge.

Cheers.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

I've got some old bits of wood in the garage, and a big box of matches.

What I would like is a UPS that can run the furnace when the power goes out. It's crazy that the gas furnace can't run when there's no power, but we only get multi-hour power outages once or twice a winter, so I haven't been willing to invest the money yet.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 5:47 am
Listen to the Music

Originally Posted by MarkG
I've got some old bits of wood in the garage, and a big box of matches.

What I would like is a UPS that can run the furnace when the power goes out. It's crazy that the gas furnace can't run when there's no power, but we only get multi-hour power outages once or twice a winter, so I haven't been willing to invest the money yet.
I bought a cheap secondhand 3kW generator for $200 and installed a fixed extension to outside where the generator runs, put plug and socket in line to furnace. Start generator, swap plug from mains to extension, heat-to-go ok.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.