Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Do people pay to have clothes ironed?

Do people pay to have clothes ironed?

Old Feb 29th 2008, 3:57 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do people pay to have clothes ironed?

You mad mad woman! My husband says I have ironing avoidance techniques.

In the UK I used to set aside a whole day for ironing - I would clean the bathroom, dust ,hoover, mop the floor, sweep the patio, make breaksfast, lunch and tea, pop to the shops, visit a friends - the whole time saying 'I should be ironing' I would get it done - but I would always leave 2-3 items in the basket.

Now I only ever have 2-3 items so it's not so bad now!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff

In the UK I used to set aside a whole day for ironing - I would clean the bathroom, dust ,hoover, mop the floor, sweep the patio, make breaksfast, lunch and tea, pop to the shops, visit a friends - the whole time saying 'I should be ironing' I would get it done - but I would always leave 2-3 items in the basket.

My mother taught me from an early age that ironing was an unnecessary task done by people who like to make work for themselves. I think she's considered a bit weird by other woman of the same age (she's 67).
Old Feb 29th 2008, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

ladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to behold

The only time the ironing ever got done in the UK was when my mum came and visited - she couldn't abide seeing an overflowing basket or pile of unironed clothes. I didn't ask her to - she just got stuck in.

Now I don't see her - it doesn't get done - unless hubby does some for himself cos he has a meeting. He'd decided I couldn't iron shirts or trousers well enough within the first month we were together - so that one worked

Now I'm like the majority of you out there - don't buy it unless you can wash and wear. Funny though - the ironing board and iron are still permenantly on display in the basement - ready for action. What's that all about

To the OP - blinds, cushions, curtains etc are very expensive here - if you can provide that service at a reasonable cost, I'm sure you'd get business. What about duvet covers? They like to use stiff, heavy covers here to go over the duvet then put them on a bed with a sheet between you and the cover to stop it needing to be changed every five minutes. Could be an option Good luck.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Sewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Piff Poff

Whats the difference, in the cloth, between uk and canada? Sorry I do like to look smart and pressed- the clothes not the skin!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Sewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ladymoose
The only time the ironing ever got done in the UK was when my mum came and visited - she couldn't abide seeing an overflowing basket or pile of unironed clothes. I didn't ask her to - she just got stuck in.

Now I don't see her - it doesn't get done - unless hubby does some for himself cos he has a meeting. He'd decided I couldn't iron shirts or trousers well enough within the first month we were together - so that one worked

Now I'm like the majority of you out there - don't buy it unless you can wash and wear. Funny though - the ironing board and iron are still permenantly on display in the basement - ready for action. What's that all about

To the OP - blinds, cushions, curtains etc are very expensive here - if you can provide that service at a reasonable cost, I'm sure you'd get business. What about duvet covers? They like to use stiff, heavy covers here to go over the duvet then put them on a bed with a sheet between you and the cover to stop it needing to be changed every five minutes. Could be an option Good luck.
I hate duvets- I make proper patchwork quilts, no" cold shoulder" syndrome. And I don,t actually iron them- they have that antique look.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 4:57 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Doesn't anyone (men in particular) wear pants with a decent crease in them these days?

In the same vein not many polish their shoes either.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 4:58 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sewing Susan
Whats the difference, in the cloth, between uk and canada? Sorry I do like to look smart and pressed- the clothes not the skin!
Well, a lot of shirts and blouses are made of a cotton / polyester blend. I often wear long sleeved, cotton knit, turtleneck tops in winter. When I'm dressing up in winter, I might wear a wool skirt or pair of trousers. Those get dry cleaned from time to time. Often I wear cotton / polyester blend trousers. I also wear jeans. In summer, I often wear golf / polo shirts. I have some cotton / polyester blouses, but I do like 100% cotton. I have some 100% cotton, wrinkle-resistent blouses. My husband usually wears 100% cotton, wrinkle-resistent trousers (and, on weekends, jeans). Many of his shirts are cotton / polyester. He also wears golf / polo shirts. He occasionally wears 100% cotton shirts that need ironing.

With the exception of my wool skirts and trousers and my husband's wool trousers, which get dry cleaned, most of our other clothes look presentable if I whip them out of the clothes dryer and hang them up as soon as the cycle is finished.

Actually, come to think of it, that may be one of the reasons that so many Canadians don't care for hanging their laundry up to dry outside, even during the hot summer weather.

Canadian households mostly use cotton / polyester sheets. Again, if you remove these from the dryer as soon as the cycle finishes, they look presentable. Ditto with bath towels.

We still have some 100% cotton sheets that my mother-in-law gave us as a wedding present, just months away from 35 years ago! It's extraordinary that they've lasted that long. They come out of the dryer wrinkled. I iron them when we have guests, but we ourselves use them in their wrinkled state. I used to iron them for ourselves, but gave up that lark quite some time ago.

My husband's one idiosyncracy that I do indulge is ironing his cotton handkerchiefs. Our Canadian friends think we're stark raving mad.
x
Old Feb 29th 2008, 5:03 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

No-one ever needs a full ironing basket, take them from the dryer and hang them in the wardrobe. Creases magically drop out - and if they don't, well I shan't be wearing that blouse for work then!!!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary

My husband's one idiosyncracy that I do indulge is ironing his cotton handkerchiefs. Our Canadian friends think we're stark raving mad.
x
Mrs_P irons my hankies as well as other things like shirts and pants.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 5:21 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Have a great image of you now Steve, beautifully clipped beard, razor like creases in your threads, a crisp hankie in the top pocket - and perfect Y fronts

Very dapper!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 5:23 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sewing Susan
I think the difference is the size of the tumble drier not the cloth. There is more room for the clothes to tumble so they don't get wrinkled so easy.

Also it's a much more casual environment so you find yourselves wearing casual easy to care for clothes rather than shirts/blouses and dress trousers. For example I went for an interview in a suit and when I asked the what type of clothes should I wear for work the answer I got, well your far too overdressed now!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Have a great image of you now Steve, beautifully clipped beard, razor like creases in your threads, a crisp hankie in the top pocket - and perfect Y fronts

Very dapper!
Beard is looking a little raggy right now, I'm in need of a trim.

Don't wear a dress jacket very often so no hankie in the top pocket, but how did you know about the Y fronts?
Old Feb 29th 2008, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Mrs_P irons my hankies as well as other things like shirts and pants.
I iron hankies too

I have tried for years to get Mr P to stop using them, as I hate them, but they have to be ironed.

Trousers have to have a crease down the front (not jeans though) and I hate to see tram lines..... only one line should be present!!!

God I sound like my mother

Linda
Old Feb 29th 2008, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Linda P
I iron hankies too

I have tried for years to get Mr P to stop using them, as I hate them, but they have to be ironed.

Trousers have to have a crease down the front (not jeans though) and I hate to see tram lines..... only one line should be present!!!

God I sound like my mother

Linda

Need I say more?

Last edited by Steve_P; Feb 29th 2008 at 6:19 pm.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Are you laughing at me.......or with me ???

Linda

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.