Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Do I tip anyone at Christmas?

Do I tip anyone at Christmas?

Old Nov 29th 2012, 5:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I tip anyone at Christmas?

Originally Posted by bats
Ah I see you belong to the two wrongs do make a right school of thought.
I think I belong to the if you dont listen to my legal explanation as to why I am doing what I am doing then I will carry on doing my legal duty to do what it is that I need to do. Berate me, insult me, swear at me as much as you want just dont threaten me with violence though ( I dont mean the idle threat or statement I mean the actual swinging a fist or foot) as I have access to a steel baton and OC spray and I might be even stood next to a police officer who is carrying a taser and a glock pistol.
If you want to act like an asshole in front of your wife and kids or your gang buddies then go ahead. Im getting paid while I deal with you are you?
Old Nov 29th 2012, 5:01 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I think I belong to the if you dont listen to my legal explanation as to why I am doing what I am doing then I will carry on doing my legal duty to do what it is that I need to do. Berate me, insult me, swear at me as much as you want just dont threaten me with violence though ( I dont mean the idle threat or statement I mean the actual swinging a fist or foot) as I have access to a steel baton and OC spray and I might be even stood next to a police officer who is carrying a taser and a glock pistol.
If you want to act like an asshole in front of your wife and kids or your gang buddies then go ahead. Im getting paid while I deal with you are you?
What's that got to do with you harassing a fisherman for not bribing you?
Old Nov 29th 2012, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
What's that got to do with you harassing a fisherman for not bribing you?
Because Im not a big fish eater
Old Nov 29th 2012, 5:46 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

oh catch yourself on, you're just so butch and powerful.

Lets see, I and my colleagues get sworn at, insulted, berated, threatened with violence, actual swinging of fists. We have no access to steel batons or OC spray- whatever that is. I am usually alone, the nearest people are not within earshot. There is a button on the wall I can press though.

We generally don't feel the need to take this out on patients, not even the aggressive ones.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 6:32 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

That will just be so unprofessional of you won't it?

We generally don't feel the need to take this out on patients, not even the aggressive ones.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 6:50 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
That will just be so unprofessional of you won't it?
Well that and the potential legal issues.

Truthfully it doesn't occur to me, I'm all revenged out. I might be less smiley and chatty but otherwise the same.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well that and the potential legal issues.

Truthfully it doesn't occur to me, I'm all revenged out. I might be less smiley and chatty but otherwise the same.
And you dont think we are held to the same standards
You might want to read up on section 25 of the Criminal Code. Its not about being butch or powerful its about protecting myself or others in the execution of my duties. If you honestly believe that throwing a punch at a Law Enforcement Officer will possibly not result in the assailant being subdued by any means necessary then you need to give your head a shake.
I suppose none of your patients who have shown violent behaviour or tendencies have never been sedated or restrained.
I can count one one hand not using any fingers or a thumb over the last 9 years since we were issued our tools how many times I have used a baton or OC spray. Heres a hint it will be the same figure as my bonus this year.
Sometimes the Im sorry sir you seem to be rather upset and adgitated would you like to sit down and take a breath doesnt always work.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 8:41 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Because Im not a big fish eater
Naff that. They're satisfied with a couple of crabs and a few left over beers in the cooler.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 8:41 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes the Im sorry sir you seem to be rather upset and adgitated would you like to sit down and take a breath doesnt always work.
So if that doesn't work, what do you expect people to say to you when they are at immigration?
Old Nov 29th 2012, 8:51 am
limey party pooper

And you dont think we are held to the same standards
You might want to read up on section 25 of the Criminal Code. Its not about being butch or powerful its about protecting myself or others in the execution of my duties. If you honestly believe that throwing a punch at a Law Enforcement Officer will possibly not result in the assailant being subdued by any means necessary then you need to give your head a shake.
I suppose none of your patients who have shown violent behaviour or tendencies have never been sedated or restrained.
I can count one one hand not using any fingers or a thumb over the last 9 years since we were issued our tools how many times I have used a baton or OC spray. Heres a hint it will be the same figure as my bonus this year.
Oh there you go off on your high horse. You're forgetting that you were using the threat of violence, that you are armed with a steel baton etc, to imply that everyone should be nice to you as you can make their life miserable.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 2:03 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I don't thin theres a hard and fast rule. This year i'll be baking mince pies and taking them to the guys down at the dump. It's not a tip but more of a "here's some cakes for you to munch on while you sit in your shack".

If they turn out like rocks then they can amuse themselves by lobbing them at the seagulls.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 2:04 pm

I tipped the dog groomer.

I didn't tip the woman at the till in the supermarket.

I'm never going to tip the cheeky sods in the booze shop. Why have they even got a tips jar; it's always empty.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 2:07 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

The grader operator is getting f all, ploughing snow across the end of my drive the useless tw@t. I had to take a run up to get over it the other day