Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Do I tip anyone at Christmas?

Do I tip anyone at Christmas?

Old Nov 29th 2012, 2:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I tip anyone at Christmas?

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
No they probably dont unless thats the only time they are working. Probably in your line of work you might be bunged a nice bottle of scotch or meal for providing services to a client over the year as gratitude and I have no problems with that. Its the whole tipping culture that confuses some be it during xmas time or any other time of the year.
There have been several threads on tipping and who should be or should not be tipped.
I agree with you in tip who you think deserves to be tipped but not because its expected or customary.
Not likely. I bill each client each month; that is the only recompense I receive from clients. I have received gifts from people that I provided services to on an ex gratia basis but, generally, I regift those to members of my staff.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 2:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Not likely. I bill each client each month; that is the only recompense I receive from clients. I have received gifts from people that I provided services to on an ex gratia basis but, generally, I regift those to members of my staff.
There might be some who would consider you a cheap bastard for regifting or perhaps passing yourself off as a lawyer who has ethics
Old Nov 29th 2012, 2:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

There might be some who would consider you a cheap bastard for regifting or perhaps passing yourself off as a lawyer who has ethics
My staff know where they came from. Regifting was the wrong term; people hand them to me and I then immediately hand them to others. Being cheap would be keeping them for myself
Old Nov 29th 2012, 2:32 am
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

We usually get quite a few "gifts" from clients and most managers open them in the lunch room and let everyone enjoy them - that includes the booze. There are always a few cheap bastards that keep them for themselves but to each their own.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 2:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

How about this bit of out of the box thinking.
I wonder if the financial investment wizards, gurus or whatever they call themselves give their investors back money if their portfolios LOST money I tend to think the answer might be NO.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 2:49 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I guess in my job then I could expect at least a dollar then
I'm talking about people you interact with frequently not some dopey **** you'll only have contact with once. For instance, if you eat at a local restaurant a lot then tip well or they'll spit in your food. If its some place you'll never go back to, give them 10% and **** them. Same with things like barbers, postmen, bin-men, local garage etc.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 2:50 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
My staff know where they came from. Regifting was the wrong term; people hand them to me and I then immediately hand them to others. Being cheap would be keeping them for myself
Bank Branch managers back in the UK used to do a similar thing with some of the booze received from company customers to the staff at Christmas. Seems a normal thing to do when you have an excess - obviously they kept some choice ones to themselves but fair play.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 3:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Oink
I'm talking about people you interact with frequently not some dopey **** you'll only have contact with once. For instance, if you eat at a local restaurant a lot then tip well or they'll spit in your food. If its some place you'll never go back to, give them 10% and **** them. Same with things like barbers, postmen, bin-men, local garage etc.
Ah but this dopey **** has the power to inflict some degree of damage that I was referring to
See that guy over there who has just tied up his boat and was fishing on the US side maybe we should go over and check him out. We could search his boat from stem to stern which might take several hours, cut open all his fish to ensure there is nothing hidden in them. Does it look like he is having trouble bending over or walking? mmm perhaps he has something shoved up his rectum so maybe we should detain him and have him sent to the hospital for an examination
Old Nov 29th 2012, 3:28 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP.....like yeah
  • postal delivery person, garbage crew, your grocery store checkout crew, your kids school teacher, petrol station attendant et al
Old Nov 29th 2012, 3:44 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Ah but this dopey **** has the power to inflict some degree of damage that I was referring to
See that guy over there who has just tied up his boat and was fishing on the US side maybe we should go over and check him out. We could search his boat from stem to stern which might take several hours, cut open all his fish to ensure there is nothing hidden in them. Does it look like he is having trouble bending over or walking? mmm perhaps he has something shoved up his rectum so maybe we should detain him and have him sent to the hospital for an examination
Ah but would you be so petty and spiteful?
Old Nov 29th 2012, 3:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bats
Ah but would you be so petty and spiteful?
Sort of like travellers who complain about us because they are pissed off that we seized their goods or made them pay duties and taxes or examined their baggage?
Im sorry sir but with these criminal convictions you are inadmissible into Canada and you will not be admitted.
In the complaint letter to follow Im sure there will be a paragraph on how dare I call them a criminal and that they are a law abiding person.
You mean that sort of pettiness and spite
Old Nov 29th 2012, 4:12 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

That's not a tip, that's a bribe and its surprising how cheap they are.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 4:36 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Sort of like travellers who complain about us because they are pissed off that we seized their goods or made them pay duties and taxes or examined their baggage?
Im sorry sir but with these criminal convictions you are inadmissible into Canada and you will not be admitted.
In the complaint letter to follow Im sure there will be a paragraph on how dare I call them a criminal and that they are a law abiding person.
You mean that sort of pettiness and spite
Ah I see you belong to the two wrongs do make a right school of thought.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 4:48 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Oh thank you so much for your responses. I do buy my kids teacher something, and have often given my garage mechanic a bottle of scotch, and the lady in the bank a box of something, but that's cos I wanted to. Evidently they don't come and bang on the door here and demand, with an official receipt book in hand, which we had before. It's all those things that catch you out, when you just don't know what the drill is.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 4:52 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
Cant remember which comedian it was but.....'you can tell Christmas is coming cos the effing bin men start saying good morning'
At 3.00am???

One year we had a card from the paper deliverererererer but I include a tip monthly instead, so the right person gets it instead of someone different who might help out at xmas.

Nobody calls.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.