Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Dispute with Telus over 3yr agreement

Dispute with Telus over 3yr agreement

Old Jun 28th 2011, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

katiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nice
Default Re: Dispute with Telus over 3yr agreement

hmm, seems like people are happy to take the discounts that go with the verbal contracts but not so keen to keep this contract when it no longer suits them - pay for your tv box or 'sign up' and get it rent-free (or get a gift for a contract with internet).

As far as I understand (being a telus customer) if you move within the footprint (ie BC/AB for landline services) and they can't provide service at your new address, there is no cancellation charge. If you move out of the footprint, eg to NF ON etc that's your choice - nowt to do with the phone people. Think about it - moving from UK to France or France to Spain - all within the EU but different service providers in the main.

How does it work with vehicle leasing? I guess not so different
Old Jun 28th 2011, 3:59 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by katiemoon
hmm, seems like people are happy to take the discounts that go with the verbal contracts but not so keen to keep this contract when it no longer suits them - pay for your tv box or 'sign up' and get it rent-free (or get a gift for a contract with internet).
I think you're missing the point. It's not that people are wanting to back out of contracts. The problem is that people are being signed up to 3yr commitments without their knowledge...
Old Jun 28th 2011, 5:12 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
I think you're missing the point. It's not that people are wanting to back out of contracts. The problem is that people are being signed up to 3yr commitments without their knowledge...
If your contract was verbal, dispute it and tell them to prove it. If you accepted any of the benefits of the three year contract incentives, you have implied acceptance and should have returned or refused the incentives if you did not want to be in a three year contract.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 5:47 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Aviator
If you accepted any of the benefits of the three year contract incentives, you have implied acceptance and should have returned or refused the incentives if you did not want to be in a three year contract.
Sorry, but that's a crazy argument.
If I invite you to dinner, but fail to tell you acceptance is subject to a $300 charge, is it fair for me to try and collect?
For there to be a valid contract, there has to be offer and acceptance. There is no implied acceptance, especially if the party doesnt even know there is a contract in the first place.

Anyways, I have already disputed it and Telus have agreed I dont have to pay them. Case closed.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 8:57 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
Sorry, but that's a crazy argument.
If I invite you to dinner, but fail to tell you acceptance is subject to a $300 charge, is it fair for me to try and collect?
For there to be a valid contract, there has to be offer and acceptance. There is no implied acceptance, especially if the party doesnt even know there is a contract in the first place.

Anyways, I have already disputed it and Telus have agreed I dont have to pay them. Case closed.
Crazy or not, if it was taken to small claims it would likely succeed.