Wikiposts

Disaster for us

Old Nov 19th 2008, 10:51 am
Just Joined

OurStory is a name known to allOurStory is a name known to allOurStory is a name known to allOurStory is a name known to allOurStory is a name known to allOurStory is a name known to allOurStory is a name known to allOurStory is a name known to allOurStory is a name known to allOurStory is a name known to allOurStory is a name known to all
Default Disaster for us

Firstly let me say I've created a new identity because I'm embarrassed about my situation. Things were looking up until very very recently. And now everything has gone wrong.

We came to Vancouver a few years ago. We couldn't have been happier at the prospect, and had planned this since 2001.

However our experience in Canada, particularly Vancouver, has been nothing short of a nightmare for many reasons.

My first employer was hiring people on short term contracts but going through the motions of giving out full time jobs. Of course had I known this I would have never subjected my family to this risk. So within a few months I found myself stranded here on a work permit and no right to work elsewhere.

Many employers are NOT sympathetic to people going through the immigration process. I had 6 months of interviews when I finally managed to find 2 open minded employers, to be offered the job and then have it withdrawn because they'd given up waiting for Canadian Immigration to get the paperwork in order.

Finally I found an employer who would sponsor through PNP and we're now fully landed. However, I recently had to leave the job due to excessive stress.

Now my entire family is in a state of deep depression, turning against each other. My daughter is starting to withdraw. This is so upsetting I cannot even describe it. My younger child is ok at the moment, but my spouse who's been in dispair has now turned on me. And to top it off there's nobody we can turn to here. Nobody cares.

I just want us to pack up and go. However nobody is selling homes and we bought a home so this option just doesn't exist.

Sorry that this message is confused. This is the state we're in. A lot of people are going to say this is just our situation, don't blame it on Canada. Well we're not blaming it on anyone. However this happened in Canada to a perfectly happy contented family. Canada IS part of all of this, perhaps all of this.

In part this post is a warning that things are not as rosy as people would have you believe. Secondly this is an appeal for help, but not for sympathy. We need good solid advice

Thank you
Old Nov 19th 2008, 10:58 am
Just Joined

OurStory is a name known to allOurStory is a name known to allOurStory is a name known to allOurStory is a name known to allOurStory is a name known to allOurStory is a name known to allOurStory is a name known to allOurStory is a name known to allOurStory is a name known to allOurStory is a name known to allOurStory is a name known to all
Default Re: Disaster for us

OMG I just realized how close this post is to the BNP list one. Our anonymity has nothing to do with that, please be assured
Old Nov 19th 2008, 11:07 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just shooting off, so no time for a considered response except to say how very sorry I am to hear how bad things seem to be for you.

I do hope you will find the support you are looking for, both on here and more locally, in Vancouver.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

High numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if I can help but wondered if you really want to sell your house have you contacted Frank'n Sense who posts on here? See links below

http://britishexpats.com/forum/member.php?u=32475

http://www.relocation2bc.com/

He may be able to help in some way.

Good luck what ever happens

HN
Old Nov 19th 2008, 11:31 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to learn of your situation. Sometimes everything seems to go pear-shaped. Probably because everyone is out of shape discussing things becomes virtually impossible. Resentment sets in and no-one wants to give. I think it's time to seek some professional help before things skid totally out of control. Some type of family counselling is needed. I don't know where one gets this in Vancouver but I'm sure it's available.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 11:32 am
Just Joined

Thank you all so far. Are there any help groups or sites? Or phone numbers of such?
Old Nov 19th 2008, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

High numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OurStory
Thank you all so far. Are there any help groups or sites? Or phone numbers of such?
Hopefully someone local will pop in with some help lines.

In the mean time contact Frank and see if he can help and then use Google to find help lines. Maybe your GP could help you out as well.

Good luck
Old Nov 19th 2008, 12:27 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

In part this post is a warning that things are not as rosy as people would have you believe. Secondly this is an appeal for help, but not for sympathy. We need good solid advice
Sorry I can't help directly, and I'm not going to offer "sympathy" because it's no use to you.

I will empathise though. I went though a tough spell - and it was damned tough. You probably understand just how tough, most others won't.

- Look inside yourself, remember the reasons you moved here and try to find that motivation and spirit inside.
- Don't doubt yourself, keep the self belief alive ("it's not you, it's them" attitude even if it seems arrogant).
- If it's not meant to be it's not meant to be.

R.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I too will offer empathetic vibes across the airwaves - may not be much help, but here they come ... I'm sad you feel embarrassed and have a new identity to tell your tale. This is nothing to be embarrassed about really but I can understand why you may feel that way. Many before you have described some awful experiences here, and many have muddled through to live another day. I am hopeful some will see fit to write to you here.

This may not be the place to comment, as you are really asking for solid advice/help/leads to move on from your current situation. I'd like to just put some ideas out for you to ponder, if I may?

Firstly, before the first job went wrong, what were your initial gut feelings about your new home - do you remember all that time ago? Did you feel uneasy or unhappy, or did you think "yep, this is gonna work". Also - what was your family's general overview after a few months? I ask this as it may clarify your true feelings about the place which have got lost or tainted with each new bad experience. But I guess it may just serve to highlight that the rose-tinted's were on for the first 3 months too

Is your spouse currently working? Do you have an income? Nothing feeds stress and depression like lack of money.

Have you seen your GP to discuss your stress levels and current unhappiness? I am kind of assuming yes (due to leaving your employment but you may have just instigated this yourself and quit?). Has a GP taken you seriously and offered any kind of assistance or direction to help you get your thoughts, stress levels and depression on track again? This would be worth pursuing IMHO.

When you say you'd just like to sell up and go, I presume you mean return to the UK? Is this a specific well-thought out plan, or something you had been thinking about anyway - or an escape route to get away from all things Canadian. I ask this because even if you sold up, and moved (next month for example), what would be so very different in the UK in the current climate at the moment? Could you find work easily if you were up to it? Do you have family or very good friends that could help you out and support you (emotionally or otherwise) - honestly?

If you and your spouse are not communicating very well at the mo, do you feel there is a 'blame' undercurrent, or something even more deep? Do either of you have anyone to talk to? Like, proper talking. Any new friends in Canada - any old friends you can just get on the phone or skype to, to bounce some ideas and vent and rant a bit? Anyone that knows you both pretty well to throw some new ideas and love in your general direction?

We obviously don't know what you do for work, and you have probably not mentioned this for very specific reasons of anonymity - but how would you feel about doing a fairly "easy" job for an income (even if insultingly low pay) but which gets you out of the house, allows you to earn and feel useful, but not harassed to the point to stress. No responsiblity really.

Now that you are fully landed, I guess you have the option to get or choose any job you wish? It must have been horrendously stressful being initially tied to one employer, then struggling to convince other employers to take you on. Horrible. But you are now in the stronger position. You are legal, you can choose to some degree and you have some Canadian experience, albeit a little choppy through no fault of you own. Do you see any positive spin to this, or are you in a deep despair that you will never work again right now? 'Cos you will, you know. You will come out of this.

I've written too much - but could go on. I won't !

Rich_007 has summed it up well I think.

My vibes are still winging their way
Old Nov 19th 2008, 2:28 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, just wanted to offer some support - even if it's only cyber support. I think Ann m has given you some wonderful insights to mull over and think about. Do you feel better for writing it all down? I can't imagine how your feeling, I know my friend is going through much the same and all I can offer is an ear. Don't be embarrassed about having a hard time, a lot of us on here have been through hard times at different stages of our lives and some of us are having the hard times now, you have a wonderful resource here and I hope someone local to you gets in touch, just having a cuppa with someone can help. Take one day at a time.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ann m
Firstly, before the first job went wrong, what were your initial gut feelings about your new home - do you remember all that time ago? Did you feel uneasy or unhappy, or did you think "yep, this is gonna work". Also - what was your family's general overview after a few months? I ask this as it may clarify your true feelings about the place which have got lost or tainted with each new bad experience. But I guess it may just serve to highlight that the rose-tinted's were on for the first 3 months too

Is your spouse currently working? Do you have an income? Nothing feeds stress and depression like lack of money.

Have you seen your GP to discuss your stress levels and current unhappiness? I am kind of assuming yes (due to leaving your employment but you may have just instigated this yourself and quit?). Has a GP taken you seriously and offered any kind of assistance or direction to help you get your thoughts, stress levels and depression on track again? This would be worth pursuing IMHO.

When you say you'd just like to sell up and go, I presume you mean return to the UK? Is this a specific well-thought out plan, or something you had been thinking about anyway - or an escape route to get away from all things Canadian. I ask this because even if you sold up, and moved (next month for example), what would be so very different in the UK in the current climate at the moment? Could you find work easily if you were up to it? Do you have family or very good friends that could help you out and support you (emotionally or otherwise) - honestly?

If you and your spouse are not communicating very well at the mo, do you feel there is a 'blame' undercurrent, or something even more deep? Do either of you have anyone to talk to? Like, proper talking. Any new friends in Canada - any old friends you can just get on the phone or skype to, to bounce some ideas and vent and rant a bit? Anyone that knows you both pretty well to throw some new ideas and love in your general direction?

We obviously don't know what you do for work, and you have probably not mentioned this for very specific reasons of anonymity - but how would you feel about doing a fairly "easy" job for an income (even if insultingly low pay) but which gets you out of the house, allows you to earn and feel useful, but not harassed to the point to stress. No responsiblity really.

Now that you are fully landed, I guess you have the option to get or choose any job you wish? It must have been horrendously stressful being initially tied to one employer, then struggling to convince other employers to take you on. Horrible. But you are now in the stronger position. You are legal, you can choose to some degree and you have some Canadian experience, albeit a little choppy through no fault of you own. Do you see any positive spin to this, or are you in a deep despair that you will never work again right now? 'Cos you will, you know. You will come out of this.

I've written too much - but could go on. I won't !

Rich_007 has summed it up well I think.

My vibes are still winging their way
Ann, thank you for the detailed response and questions. I'm taking the key ones and trying to find answers here.

What were my initial feelings about Canada and my new home here?

Well really like anyone, very excited, but feeling a bit out of our depth. I also sensed on almost day 1 that my job wasn't going to work out. But it was being sent out to Toronto and being victimized by a bunch of sharks there that finished me off. My reputation was more or less destroyed before it had even arrived, and now these toe rags are powerful people here. Like many people in my field, it's useless outside of it. I either work in it and stay, or leave. I cannot describe my fury around this. I'm still reputed throughout the UK but here I'm considered to be scum.

Spouse working?

No. I've always had to fend for myself. Despite my families ability to help, they simply wouldn't under any circumstances. We did have a situation where we needed it before and they simply tried to rip us off.

Speak to GP around leaving job?

No I didn't. I didn't consider I needed anyone to tell me what I already knew and the employer (at the time) had been so fair to me that I really didn't want to take sick leave. My stress wasn't actually over my job so much, which was relatively easy going, but the need to be at home to keep the peace.

Sell up and move well thought out?

I've always preached to people that there's no point in moving because of issues. In fact it drives me crazy when I hear people have moved to Canada because they are escaping from something. It's not the right reason to move. And not the reason I moved.

The UK offers me infinitely more opportunities. I would be extremely unlikely to have any time out of work unless I chose it. Working life is not as laid back but it's much better rewarded. Higher pay, far better benefits, real bonuses. Chances of promotion. I didn't see anyone promoted here. People left jobs and gained a promotion that way but never in my experience within their existing job.

In Vancouver I've only ever been able to achieve pay cuts every year and have moved backward in my career. Yet things that you don't even think of paying for in UK are totally unpredictable here. More specifically are things you have absolutely no control over. It's perhaps no surprise that many people here are broke, and scrape by on borderline poverty in many cases. This doesn't describe my situation, but only because I've always worked hard and been extremely careful with building a safety net, and making low risk financial decisions.

So here's a couple of my own questions to myself...

Would I have moved out to Canada with hindsight?
Probably not. It's nowhere near the picture that I'd spent years developing.

Can anyone be happy here?
Yes but you need a lot of luck and stability early on.

If I leave would I consider moving back?
Yes. However the opportunities would never arise. It costs a fortune each time and the disruption on family too great.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

ok regarding yoru situation - we can always listen. I can't help with practicalities, but if you need someone to listen or to email aside from us, samaritans are always there to listen. They are a wonderful service, and truly a listening ear when you need it most.

them prioritise what you need. What you want. And see if you can reach a consensus within the family and go for it.
You might need professional mediation for that.

Best of luck and let us k now how its going.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 11:22 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked at the possibility of moving elsewhere in Canada? Definately speak to Frank and Sue re selling your house, find out what your options are and go from there. Just because you originally picked Vancouver, doesn't mean its the best place for you.

My thoughts are with you.

Amy x
Old Nov 19th 2008, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

It may help to relieve some stress if you could call the crisis line to talk
with a crisis intervention volunteer.
http://www.crisiscentre.bc.ca/distress/faq.php
All the best.
Yoong
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:28 am
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly let me say I've created a new identity because I'm embarrassed about my situation. Things were looking up until very very recently. And now everything has gone wrong.

We came to Vancouver a few years ago. We couldn't have been happier at the prospect, and had planned this since 2001.

However our experience in Canada, particularly Vancouver, has been nothing short of a nightmare for many reasons.

My first employer was hiring people on short term contracts but going through the motions of giving out full time jobs. Of course had I known this I would have never subjected my family to this risk. So within a few months I found myself stranded here on a work permit and no right to work elsewhere.

Many employers are NOT sympathetic to people going through the immigration process. I had 6 months of interviews when I finally managed to find 2 open minded employers, to be offered the job and then have it withdrawn because they'd given up waiting for Canadian Immigration to get the paperwork in order.

Finally I found an employer who would sponsor through PNP and we're now fully landed. However, I recently had to leave the job due to excessive stress.

Now my entire family is in a state of deep depression, turning against each other. My daughter is starting to withdraw. This is so upsetting I cannot even describe it. My younger child is ok at the moment, but my spouse who's been in dispair has now turned on me. And to top it off there's nobody we can turn to here. Nobody cares.

I just want us to pack up and go. However nobody is selling homes and we bought a home so this option just doesn't exist.

Sorry that this message is confused. This is the state we're in. A lot of people are going to say this is just our situation, don't blame it on Canada. Well we're not blaming it on anyone. However this happened in Canada to a perfectly happy contented family. Canada IS part of all of this, perhaps all of this.

Thank you
I'm truly sorry to hear how awful things have been for you. It sounds like your family is in a state of crisis right now and needs some serious help. Honestly, take Yoong's advise and contact a crisis line, they can refer you on to sources to help.

For what it's worth, I am probably amongst many many immigrants who had it all go sour in the first year. We had a lifetime of awful stuff happen to us in our first year, and were absolutely destitute for a time. After sinking every penny we had into our first home here, following assurances in writing from my husband's employer that the employment was sound and long term - he got laid off the day we parted company with our money, and we were locked into paying a mortgage. No unemployment insurance, we hadn't been here long enough. Serious health issues with one child. Marriage falling apart. Lots of other stuff. But, we got through it, and are still here 30+ years later.

It wasn't Canada's fault, or Vancouver's fault. As for the employer - well he could at least have warned us, knowing we were about to buy a house. But sh*t happens. I am now glad we stuck it out and believe we live in the best place in the world.

Hopefully you are getting help dealing with your stress and depression. It could be that you need to return to the UK, but you will still have the same issues to deal with and your health is the most important thing. If you want, PM me and feel free to dump on my shoulders. I might live close enough to you to help a bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.